SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
JEFF MANGUM TOUR YES!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olinea wrote:
Because of all of the talk about Neutral Milk Hotel, I'll listen to the first song by them that someone posts in this thread.

What genre are these guys, anyways? (True sign of laziness, not looking it up, but whatever)

They're indie or fuzz-folk or something... idunno. Quite simply, start with this and listen to the whole album in order 5 or 6 times. After that, your mind will be sufficiently blown.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" is not an album you listen to, it's an album you experience, if that makes sense.. Anyway, my advice is to listen to it all straight through to really get it. But if you really don't want to do that, I'd start with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3CRVVBL9o or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjpbjCH5L0 .
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
GregoryZero wrote:
This may interest you.

$20 says it's fake.

I would know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of FPS Jeff, he now has a Gamertag (FPS Jeff Mangum). Feel free to send him friend requests/MSP/XBL cards. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jeff Magnum played a super low-key surprise show in Brooklyn tonight. All NMH songs...man I wish I could've been there.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vosnos wrote:
So Jeff Magnum played a super low-key surprise show in Brooklyn tonight. All NMH songs...man I wish I could've been there.

Look at that setlist.. JESUS CHRIST.

It sucks that I live 45 minutes - 1 hour away from NYC and I missed both times he was here.. (first time was because I started liking them right after).

Possible sign of a comeback?
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up On Avery Island and Everything Is to complete the studio album CD collection... now if only I could find live at jittery joe's...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITAOTS is bland, devoid of emotion, and if I wanted pretentious lyrics that had no meaning I'd listen to a band that at least had some redeeming musical aspect like Jethro Tull. As it stands the only think I hear in this album is the same three chords strummed on an acoustic guitar, some annoying horns (and A Penny Arcade in California is a shining example of now NOT to do bagpipes, either), and by Oh Comely I wanted to stab Jeff Mangum in the vocal chords. And the whole album does not benefit from the lo-fi production and sounding like a vinyl with a gramophone needle dragged through it.

I guess you could say this is a defining album, though. As in, it defines everything indie music should NOT be.

olle92 wrote:
In my opinion, "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" is not an album you listen to, it's an album you experience, if that makes sense.

[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
pretentious

false statement

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
ITAOTS is bland, devoid of emotion, and if I wanted pretentious lyrics that had no meaning I'd listen to a band that at least had some redeeming musical aspect like Jethro Tull. As it stands the only think I hear in this album is the same three chords strummed on an acoustic guitar, some annoying horns (and A Penny Arcade in California is a shining example of now NOT to do bagpipes, either), and by Oh Comely I wanted to stab Jeff Mangum in the vocal chords. And the whole album does not benefit from the lo-fi production and sounding like a vinyl with a gramophone needle dragged through it.

I guess you could say this is a defining album, though. As in, it defines everything indie music should NOT be.

Hi Pieman.
Shreddies  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
some annoying horns

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shreddies wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:
some annoying horns

*pic*

hahahahaha great pic. But seriously pieman, umad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:

So does three chords on strummed on a guitar really disqualify it? Is production really important?
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
So does three chords on strummed on a guitar really disqualify it?

Plenty of songs made up of three or four chords sound great. Simple songs aren't always bad. It's when the songs start to run together and have very little variation between them that I get sick of it.

Eastwinn wrote:
Is production really important?

Yes. For another example, I'd like Iggy Pop's studio version of Search and Destroy a lot more if it didn't have all that nasty feedback in the song. It just sounds like I'm listening to a bad record and when I'm actually listening to a digital mp3 it's really disappointing.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Plenty of songs made up of three or four chords sound great. Simple songs aren't always bad. It's when the songs start to run together and have very little variation between them that I get sick of it.

There is certainly variation, but it's not present simply in the guitar work. Maybe you should listen to each song as a whole.

PiemanLK wrote:
Yes. For another example, I'd like Iggy Pop's studio version of Search and Destroy a lot more if it didn't have all that nasty feedback in the song. It just sounds like I'm listening to a bad record and when I'm actually listening to a digital mp3 it's really disappointing.

Agree to disagree there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: