ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
An idea: An FC stats and ratings aggregator.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbert  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: An idea: An FC stats and ratings aggregator. Reply with quote

Sick of sifting through breakdown lists to find the next song to FC or to get a general gist of the difficulty you can handle to FC? Sick of trying to find the breakdown lists in the first place? You finally FC'ed the song and you want your say on where a song should be in the breakdown but no one else seems to agree?

I might have the solution, then! An FC stats aggregator, whose data is fed by the users who have FC'ed the song and orders it appropriately. Be it for a single instrument, for a random instrument combination or a full band, you could all enter your opinion on the song. Provided, of course, that you (and your bandmates) have actually achieved the FC in the first place (or, for instance, who have reached a threshold of 98% or 99% hit on extremely hard songs such as TTFAF or have reached a dynamic threshold based on the number of FCs by percentage: for instance, less than 0.1% of the scores being FCs would create a threshold of 99%.), because only then can you say something rational about it.

I don't really know how to pull this off yet. Assuming it would be hosted externally, the easiest thing would be an SH API/web service call resulting in all the FCs by that person/band.

The system would allow a rating from 1 (an untrained monkey could FC it) to 11 (an infinite suite of untrained monkeys would still take decades to FC the song if it were to generate random input for the song) and allow for comments, giving you an opportunity to motivate your choice.

Initially, the list wouldn't sort at all, but the more input it receives, the more accurate the list becomes. The rating would be done relatively to other songs. E.g.: TTFAF on Easy will not get a rating of 1 because it is on Easy, but it would most certainly score higher than some simpler songs on Medium.

It would be like the FC stats list on the wiki, but more dynamic and not solely based on the scores entered.

Advantages:
- All FC data is aggregated and stored in one place. To improve usage, one could integrate it in SH (system notices you posted an FC and allows you to have your say, for instance)
- SH integration would prevent people from entering data they're not allowed to (Going by the honour system, of course, like SH always has)
- breakdown thread creators don't need to keep track of their starting post
- Possible, but not sure how to do it yet: allowing SH credentials to verify you: no need to remember another set of credentials
- Result of the aggregation integrated in the wiki?

The downside would be that it requires people to post their stats and actually play through the song (again, the honour system, folks) before they can have their say. It might be daunting this way, but we are with a lot of people which will lighten the load. It would lessen potential false data.

Would this be a good idea? More importantly: would you use it, be it to guide you to more FCs or would you be willing to invest time in entering your opinion? After all, the success of an idea like this falls or stands with the support of the user base.
If it gets enough positive votes and reactions, I'd even be willing to write it if I can get some support from the technical SH staff (specifically API calls or web services or anything specifically SH related).

So, what do you think? Like? Hate? Comments? Critique? Lemme know!

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about whether it should be implemented, but would we have to reFC songs for this purpose?

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Robbert  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. In theory, it could simply read the database and gather your FCs for you and show you the list of your unrated FCs.
As long as the note streak you entered for the song and total number of notes in the song are equal, you'd have that FC (Unless there are other criteria for an FC I'm not aware of. ). So, worst case scenario, you'd have to re-add your FC with the note streak for it to pick it up as an FC.

Of course, you could always do it selectively and only for the songs you are interested in rating and none of the, generally easier, songs for instance.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
Robbert  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I thought I had posted this in website Discussion. Could someone move it there, please?

Davers  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like quite a bit of work but would be interesting to see I do think it's a good idea if this does happen. The only issue would be getting people to rate that song in difficulty to themselves. Going to a different website to do such a thing is very unattractive. If it was someway integrated in this website where when people put in their scores, they can rate the difficulty in their opinion, that would make it alot easier.

Again, interesting idea, and it would be fun to see happen. However, getting enough people to participate in a project of the likes off site will be hard
Robbert  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Sounds like quite a bit of work but would be interesting to see I do think it's a good idea if this does happen. The only issue would be getting people to rate that song in difficulty to themselves. Going to a different website to do such a thing is very unattractive. If it was someway integrated in this website where when people put in their scores, they can rate the difficulty in their opinion, that would make it alot easier.

Again, interesting idea, and it would be fun to see happen. However, getting enough people to participate in a project of the likes off site will be hard

Agreed. Hence, the final idea is that it would be integrated into ScoreHero. Say, in the Manage Scores list, you could see a small link saying "Rate this FC" when you have FC'ed it (or reached a threshold for some other songs).

While I can't access SH's code, making agreements on the interface and knowing a little bit about the underlying data model would allow me to write most of it. Then all I'd have to do would be it hand it over and let staff here do the integration. Assuming I'm allowed to help and that this even gets off the ground.

Frontdoor777  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea, but i think that you can´t say generally " Song x is harder than Song y". Fast strumming may be hard for a person, but easy for the other. But the average of the votings should be ok. The idea´s worth a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: