Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A friendly discussion on the merits of rap/hip-hop music
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: A friendly discussion on the merits of rap/hip-hop music Reply with quote

Honestly, I have a huge passion for music. Rock and Heavy Metal. I've been playing guitar for 6 years now and my friends and I are starting a band soon. I love drinking, having fun and just fucking around in general. We go to my friend's basement and fuck up the world with music and partying. The problem is, when I go to the outside world, everyone listens to rap, that's all I hear. It seriously sickens me. Heavy Metal is like God to me and my biggest passion in life. I ALWAYS where a band shirt with jeans and I love being into metal.

I feel bad for people who like rap. They are missing out on real talent and a type of music which knows no bounds and can really grasp the soul. All the hot girls listen to rap too and songs like Girls, Girls Girls dosen't have the same effect anymore because girls wouldn't go wild to it today like they would have in the 80's. I'm only 19, so I think I was born in the wrong decade honestly. My friends think the same thing. What is the world coming to? I hate people who think they are so cool blasting there rap shit in their car with spinner rims. I mean seriously, wtf?

Bands like, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Exodus, Testament and even recent metal bands like Trivium, Shadows Fall, All That Remains and Rob Zombie. I mean, these bands have talent and they kick ass. If I even see a cute girl wearing an Iron Maiden or Megadeth shirt I go crazy for her. I'm not stuck in the 80's though, because I know the time period, and honestly, i just act myself. I just so happen to LOVE heavy metal. It's such a shame that it's not the "cool" thing that it used to be 20 years ago. I get chills hearing "Shook Me All Night Long", "Flash Of The Blade", "Creeping Death", "Entrance Of The Conflagration", "This Calling", "Houses Of The Holy", "Kickstart My Heart". This music is my escape if things get too tough in life. It's sometimes poetic and beautifully written. I can't explain it, it just hits me where nothing else can. If someone says that metal sucks, I say "fuck you" and blast Testament in their face.

I love the guitar and wish that people appreciated music for what it is: a
group of people coming together using their heart, soul and musical talent to make the guitar a heavy metal weapon. Man, do I love metal. Does anyone else feel this way?
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not rap music that is the problem. It is the record producers and the accountant. Music now is about the dollar figure, not the art.

Not all rap is bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6tJrXIrm0
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called opinions. Music isn't objective, you know. Obviously hip-hop and pop are what's popular right now, but that doesn't mean that it's all bad. Also it's not like people don't listen to metal or other kinds of music...

Seriously, I think you're taking this whole thing too seriously. Try expanding your horizons a bit. This is a great rap song that I love. I'm sure it's not very relevant today, but since you generalized the negative trend as rap in general, this would apply.

EDIT: evidence that rap and metal can coexist peacefully.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
machchunk  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: I wish rap never existed Reply with quote

lol

I like rap and metal. What do you make of me? Also what about people who don't like rap, metal, or top 40?

And "They are missing out on real talent and a type of music which knows no bounds and can really grasp the soul" bull fucking shit. Rap can be just as touching when it damn well feels like (I'm about to sleep, I didn't look through my whole collection).

Then again you're probably trolling so I won't post in this thread again
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is settling for second best - almost every rap artist out there is extremely talented, musically, but they don't make anything of it. All they do is stand there talking about politics, incest, poverty, sex or some other nonsense with random computer-generated noises in the background. So not cool. If they actually broadened their range, played actual instruments and sung actual melodies, they could make it huge. They just seem to want to settle for the easier musical path with the safety of the mainstream to fall back on. I can see where they're coming from; I just don't agree with it.

Yes, I know, I (probably unfairly) categorised rap music. For the purpose of my argument, that's what I'm defining rap music as, because that's mostly what it sounds like to me.

God, I can see the argument from machchunk coming a mile away.
Venim619  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps what you dislike is the popular rap. Maybe you just don't understand it, so you can't appreciate it similar to the way people who only listen to rap can't understand heavy metal. But just so you know, it's not all the same cookie cutter bull shit. Some of the beats take some work. Some of the bass lines are epic. Some of the words have meaning. If you haven't already, look up Immortal Technique. He's vulgar and offensive, but he gets his point across better than most metal bands.
A few good "rap" or hip hop songs to check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtGPL9lcFog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwjzJKCZWYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL9ihXiFAko
And for fun...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFu_wcV9nP0 =P
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be a troll. I just cannot bring myself to believe that someone this closed-minded exists. I mean, his inability to accept any other music besides metal is rageful in itself. But then the fact that he talks about so it objectively as if metal can be the only good music and rap can never be good.

That, and someone claiming to have metal as their life that hasn't expanded their tastes beyond All that Remains, and Trivium and Shadows Fall in recent years has to be a troll.
GenericName  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, seriously? I love metal and all, but it is in no way the "best genre" or any of that bullcrap. Hell, even though metal is my favorite genre (well, I listen to more of it than other genres at least.), I can definitely see why people like rap. I enjoy a bit of it myself, while not necessarily the most mainstream of it.

Although to be honest, I was almost as close-minded as you about music a few years ago. Try and broaden your horizons. Or heck, at least broaden your horizons in metal alone - you seem to have a painfully narrow range of metal, even. Not to sound condescending or anything. Plus, there's probably a TON of metal that you would love that you need to go looking for just a little bit...

tl;dr - expand your tastes

Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feed the troll.
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously that's not the way anybody thinks about metal
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
It is not rap music that is the problem. It is the record producers and the accountant. Music now is about the dollar figure, not the art.

Not all rap is bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6tJrXIrm0
I say modern mainstream in general is horrible. Underground rap takes talent. The music industry is declining. The music is becoming more and more similar + less and less complicated. Eventually, mainstream music will die, because people will get sick of it and realize that it's all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classical is the only good music!! New music sucks!!

... OK, I won't just do a satirical post.

I honestly couldn't care less if most people want to listen to a genre I don't like. It's only when I'm at a party and when songs I find annoying are playing when it bugs me, and only slightly. What's the point in getting upset over other people not liking what you consider good, anyway?

Much like video games, I don't really have a favorite genre, but I do have a few favorite instruments in music, and may very well make a thread asking if anyone knows any good songs featuring them, I dunno. It's probably OK since people ask for suggestions here all the time .

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Mike65707  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to hate rap. And I mean REALLY hate it.

Then a friend of mine gave me his CD. He doesn't do it for money, is widely ridiculed for being white and rapping, especially in the Midwest.

But as I listened I actually liked the CD even though I really despised rap. It made me realize I don't hate rap, I hate rap that I don't relate to..which is a lot of it. Everything in his CD I related to as we grew up in the exact same place.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: Shut the fuck up. You are completely representative of the elitist divide between musical genres, which is the only thing wrong with music today. End of.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/10

that was good OP.

Anyone responding to this guy is hilarious, and none of this should be taken as serious.

Here, I'll have some fun also.

Honestly, I have a huge passion for music. Pretty much classical only. I've been playing piano for 6 years now and my friends and I are starting an ensemble soon. I love drinking, having fun and just fucking around in general. We go to my friend's basement and fuck up the world with that Beethoven and such. The problem is, when I go to the outside world, everyone listens to metal, that's all I hear. It seriously sickens me. Heavy Metal is like shit to me and its what contributes to all my rage. I practice my piano 8 hours a day and ALWAYS perfect it, all day err day.

I feel bad for people who like metal. They are missing out on real talent and a type of music which knows no bounds and can really grasp the soul. All the basement dwellers listen to metal too and songs like Bleed dosen't have the same effect anymore because guys wouldn't go wild to it today like they would have in the 80's. I'm only 19, so I think I was born in the wrong decade honestly. My friends think the same thing. What is the world coming to? I hate people who think they are so cool blasting there metal shit in their car with spinner rims. I mean seriously, wtf? SO OBSCURE??

Composers like Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Haydn. I mean, these composers have talent and they kick ass. If I even see a cute girl perfecting Mozart's requiem and I totally fall for her. I'm not stuck in the 80's though, because I know the time period, and honestly, i just act myself. I just so happen to LOVE classical. It's such a shame that it's not the "cool" thing that it used to be 200 years ago. I get chills hearing "Mozart's Requiem, Beethoven's 9th, Brahm's Lullaby, Minuet in G". This music is my escape if things get too tough in life. It's sometimes poetic and beautifully written. I can't explain it, it just hits me where nothing else can. If someone says that classical sucks, I say "fuck you" and blast Rachmaninoff in their face.

I love the piano and violin and wish that people appreciated music for what it is: a
group of people coming together using their heart, soul and musical talent to make the piano a soothing style of music. Man, do I love classical. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by Southparkhero on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: