ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A Method to Reliably Obtain Exact Scores (v1.0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barfo  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats awesome!

2-play proofs are really satisfying.
fcphantom  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
fcphantom wrote:
I guess I'll have to read your post carefully to see why the SP section should help.

The key is increased FLEXIBILITY. ...

Ok, after reading it closely I get the theory. I'll most likely use that when I'm stuck on something, but a lot of the fun of the proofs for me is to do it on the fly and also to practice the song a bunch (as you can see on my proofed scores).
eachann  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow Barfo... that was a lot to figure out and type.. lol. I haven't even read the whole thing yet.. but nice work
pata70  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Method to Reliably Obtain Exact Scores (inc, v0.85) Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
Songs with the 'toughest'* individual sections, only including songs that i have had a change of doing (ie not jordan)

SP Section: Laughtrack (by a mile)

Laughtrack ends on about 50 or so hold notes (or it seems like it). Its the only song where my path in the SP section necessarily involves hitting hold notes. And laughtrack path is incredibly difficult to execute (i pause the game and break out a pencil and paper to plan exactly which holds to hit based on my score goign into this section, each time).

Yay! I finished a Laughtrack cutoff proof. What I did was play the whole final section after the long pause, getting full holds and whatever multiplier it goes up to. Then I substracted the score of that section to the cutoff target, which became my new target to get to the long pause. So I had no SP section.

And I add my vote to get this thread stickied... Hail to the 1337 Proof Master!
Crazed  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I swear I use most of those techniques when finding a cut-off. Not all but some; that was written perfectly and I give you credit because I probably would never be able to put everything that clearly. Nice job!

As for Hangar 18 X, I changed my hold part to the second section of:

etc... part. If you have a 4x multiplier going into it, Using the modulo 50 (as you called it), I noticed the hold notes would go down by 2 (56, 04, 52, 00) etc... (if I remember correctly). The only thing that sucks about this is that you have to hit the rest of the song pretty well w/o hitting hold notes. And that orange streak screwed me a few times.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i used something like that for hard, but i couldnt get near high enough going with a hold section that early in X.

EDIT: and it took me a long time to write it all up. Its very tough to explain it in a way that makes some sort of sense.
pata70  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barfo for finishing up this great guide!

A few thoughts on pointswhoring (since that finger is obviously pointed at me):

I don't think any narrowing contribution is pointswhoring unless you're purposely not trying to get as close to the target as your skill can get you.

If you spend your precious game time trying to get cutoff proofs, then a contribution point that costs nothing (except to photobucket for their hard disk space and to the mods for their time approving the pic...) is a good token of appreciation for the effort you put in.

So I don't see the honour of not submitting it for proof if I took the time to play the song... I could be working on improving my Hard scores instead, I haven't even ever tried Expert yet, but the motivation of helping out has kept me playing Easy for the last few weeks!

That, and I'm saving up for a super-duper Store upgrade that costs 500 points

Cheers,
The Proof Journeyman
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I'll have to read through this sometime.

You might want to turn off smilies, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, this deserves a bump....

Secondly, and more on topic, I've been trying to get into the proofing business but I'm finding it hard starting out

I was wondering if there are any songs that are reasonable to "practice" on. Or at least some other songs that have charts that may help me make judgements on what score to aim for before the miss, star power, and holds sections; as well as where to place those sections themselves.

(P.S. I did read it all and I understand the order and purposes of the sections. I've done some work [namely Strutter and Thunderhorse Medium(PS2)] but I'm still having trouble identifying exact sections)

Last edited by de1337ed on Thu May 24, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riz  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

de1337ed wrote:

You realize you just bumped a stickied post? Duh.

Riz.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riz wrote:
de1337ed wrote:

You realize you just bumped a stickied post? Duh.
I do now, apologies.

I think my IE has page caching issues...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

de1337ed wrote:
I was wondering if there are any songs that are reasonable to "practice" on. Or at least some other songs that have charts that may help me make judgements on what score to aim for before the miss, star power, and holds sections; as well as where to place those sections themselves.

Hmm theres no one song that i can think of off-hand thats particularly good to practice everything, but theres a few things you can look for that will make some parts definitely easier (although there are sometimes other problems with those songs). In terms of getting practice hitting the right mod50 you want a song with a low BPM. The definitely easiest song for this is Red Lottery (drawback: song sucks), and JtF is also pretty low. Six the bridge has a low BPM too but thats such a difficult song it was always real tough for me to do the rest of the song. Very roughly, any BPM in the 90-100 range is ideal and even up to 120 is still fairly easy. over 150 is where it starts to go get tricky and the ones with 180+ those are tough on this front.

Another good feature of a 'practice' song is length. While learning you are going to be replaying the song a lot, so shorter means more plays in the same real amount of time. Trogdor is obviously the way shortest song, but there are some others that are only 3-4 minutes range. Avoid songs like SCOM or Jessica or Hangar 18, etc.

Theres also a few songs that have not many holds and they are mostly in the beginning (KitN, RTT). This leads to a special case where you can get the mod50 at the start of the song which means that you can restart 15 seconds in if you dont get the mod50. That sort of means that you can get more practice on the post-hold section parts, but keep in mind that on any song you can always practice the miss section and SP section even coming out of the holds with the wrong mod50, you just wont have the right score at the end, but you will have gained valuable practice.

Overall, in order to practice how to draw up a plan of what section to do where it just takes trying it several times on a lot of varied songs. Pick songs that you can easily 6 or 7 star will make it easier to get like the 4 or 5* cutoff reliably. And keep in mind its not exact the scoring going into the sections, and the best way to work that out is not to plan it in advance based on the charts, you only need to identify the two sections (hold and SP) and you can always determine what score you need in the first few plays just by noting the actual score change you have in the hold+miss section (default to dropping every 10th note unless you need to change off that), and the actual score that you can reliably get in the SP section. Even if your score is nowhere near the one you want when you get to the end of the song on the first few runs, do the SP section normally hitting a comfortable 50% or so of the non-hold notes (more if theres a lot of holds) and see how much score you gain. That plus the empirical data on the hold+miss section will tell you very easily what score you want to come out of the main section of the song with.

EDIT: Name some songs you want to do and if i get a chance ill walk you through how to plan them. Even better name some songs and explain your plan to me and ill critique it at give you constructive criticism.
de1337ed  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at Parasite-Hard for a bit.

I don't do anything too exact chartwise but I recognize there are 3200 points of easily accessible notes at 2x(star) at the end and I plan to use between 700 and 2500 of the points.

I hope to use the area from 70-81 give or take as my hold area. This will yield approx. 2200-3300

The miss section that follows will yield 2500-3500

112,378 and 112,377 are the goals so before the hold section I expect to have 104-106k points.

Granted I haven't done a run on this song yet, and I usually glance at the chart, count the end star notes then do a couple calibration runs.

Another song I've glanced at is TIGRYT-Hard but I don't know how I'd survive to the end of the song with the massive sustain explosion there. I assume the best way to go at such a song is to play the notes early and get 0 sustain points but I'm not quite even close at all to that level yet.

Thanks for your patience, your guide has inspired me.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

de1337ed wrote:
I recognize there are 3200 points of easily accessible notes at 2x(star) at the end and I plan to use between 700 and 2500 of the points.

Sounds good to me. aim for about 1500, erring on the high side, but something like 700-1000 probably possible.

Quote:
I hope to use the area from 70-81 give or take as my hold area. This will yield approx. 2200-3300

The miss section that follows will yield 2500-3500

Yeah. id start the hold section at the yellow note at 68 (becaue it looks liek an easy landmark), or thereabouts, but yours is fine too. BPM is 118, so it should be fairly easy to get even though there not a lot of holds. Im counting somethign like 8200 poitns in non holds in hold+miss so a bit over you, but maybe cause im starting two measures earlier. Make sure to count allt he chords in measures 91-94, even the ones after the holds, those will be ahndy to hit to keep your RM up.

Quote:
112,378 and 112,377 are the goals so before the hold section I expect to have 104-106k points.

sounds good, but you might want it to be a bit lower (100-104), because you can always catch up decent points in the miss section by holding a higher than 1x combo. I tend to underestimate my first run tho so yours might also be correct. Its a very fogiving chart, this one, low BPM some long combos and not too many holds.

Quote:
Another song I've glanced at is TIGRYT-Hard but I don't know how I'd survive to the end of the song with the massive sustain explosion there. I assume the best way to go at such a song is to play the notes early and get 0 sustain points but I'm not quite even close at all to that level yet.

Besides the fact that going for 0 sustain points is really hard to do reliably (im maybe 75% on it even on slow BPM and worse if the BPM is fast), hitting just the note is still a net loss of RM, and wont relaly be much better than just missing it outright, so thats not at all a good strategy. The only time to go for a 0 sustain hit is if you just passed the last non-hold note in the song and you are short 100 (or more) points and you want ot try and hope that you can hit enough 0 sustains to save the run (very tough). I didnt yet actually look at the chart for that.

EDIT: I glanced at TIGRYT (H i assume), and though those holds are scary at hten end theres not enough to fail you. So i think you just have to engage SP at measure 101, and you want to hit a majority of the 2800 points in the SP section (unf gotta be very precise going into it then), back loaded if possible so that you finish in the green. If you finish SP section in green then you are probably fine, remember that hold notes sections are not very dense with actual notes. And note that you have 350 poitns in single notes after SP just in case, you could always play to -250 of your target and hit three singles and one chord in that end to squeak by (but better to not have to).
de1337ed  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All advice taken into account, 101k was the sweet spot, got both sides in 4 total runs. Thanks very much.

Regarding TIGRYT, I think I'll focus on the easier ones (i.e. Soy Bomb and Radium Eyes) until I get more confident with my star timing and the like.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: