ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
DJ Hero 2 Constructive Criticism
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mDaWg  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: DJ Hero 2 Constructive Criticism Reply with quote

I'm going to try to point the developers in the direction of this thread. I ask that everyone please keep submitting suggestions and feedback. If a lot of people agree on something, I will update it and add it to this post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so I'm pretty sure that most of us can agree that not only is the music in this game unbelievably awesome, but the charts are super fun to play as well. All of that mixed with a pretty awesome 3D style interface and lots of neon on the highway is really pretty cool.

That being said, we all know this game has a few problems.... So I'd like to try to put together a list here and see how many people agree/disagree with me. Feel free to add anything that I may be missing as well.

Here is the list, in no particular order.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Power Decks

This is probably the biggest drawback in the game I think. The fact that the rewind deck is there makes it even worse. It's completely overpowered and pretty much makes the rest of the decks useless. Not to mention these do count towards leaderboards, so grinding a song to take back a score can take even more endless hours than it did in the first game.

2. Hyperdeck

I know not everybody likes Hyperdeck, but now days speed mods have been a standard since early bemani games back in the late 90s/early 2000. Not only do we not have increments of hyperdeck, but due to the rewind deck being completely overpowered the hyperdeck puts us again at the same disadvantage we had in DJ hero 1 - not being able to get top leadboard scores using it.

I'd also like to point out that Hyperdeck does give an advantage of 25 extra points for a regular hit and 26 points for a perfectly timed hit. Hyperdeck shouldn't put anyone at a disadvantaged nor an advantage like this one.

3. No online difficulty filter

I know for a fact this has annoyed almost every expert player I talk to on a daily basis. We don't want to play medium players, especially with some of them being real expert/hard players who are just trying to rack up wins online. I shouldn't have to spend 10 minutes quitting out of games until I find the one I want. Either give us a browser to see who's searching (yeah right), or give us a filter.

4. Quitting online = No penalty

When players quit in DJ Hero 1, it was just annoying and didn't affect anything other than us feeling like we just wasted time. This time around, the quitter is actually the one who is at an advantage, especially if they're is winning. To make matters worse, the player who is winning will lose their winning streak and have to start back at 1. This wouldn't normally be a problem, especially since you can only get up to a 10x winning streak. However, a 10x winning streak yeilds 100 exp per battle. Resetting this back to 10 exp per battle is really annoying... especially with how ungodly long some of these songs are. This should be the complete opposite. The player who quits should automatically receive a loss. Now I can't say the winner should receive a win, because then we will have players who have multiple xboxes or friends who will jump online and just keep quitting so they can rank up. I can settle for very little to no exp, but we definitely should not be losing our winning streak over this.

5. Rewinds

I could throw this under power decks, but I think it deserves it's own section. I don't know about everyone else, but I hated rewinds in the first game, I only put up with them because I wanted my name on the leaderboards. When I found out that we had rewinds that were double the length, my heart sank knowing I had to spend even more endless hours hearing and playing the same sections of a song over and over again.

6. Lack of on-screen combo/score in multiplayer

I know this one probably won't bug everyone, and it doesn't honestly annoy me that much. I still would like to be able to see at least how high my combo is when I'm playing a song instead of guessing by watching the flasing "XXXX combo" flash on screen. Not to mention, there's been times where I would not fade properly and not even realize I lost my combo since it isn't displayed on screen. This might not be important to medium players who can't hit over 100 notes in a row, but seeing the number 1800 on galvanize gives me a nice little adrenaline rush

7. Practice Mode

Practice practice practice. How the hell do you think I got so good at this game? It would just be nice if I didn't have to spend as many hours practicing one song if I could just practice one part for awhile and then go back and do the whole song. Especially since just one song in this game can take up to 10 minutes with rewinds. Not to mention, with galvanize being an easy FC, the difficulty is only going to go up from here on (but still fun, I hope). We're gonna need it in the future as the songs get even harder.

So far everything else about this game is pretty awesome. It's just these few things that really get to me. I really hope they clean this up and fix the problems for the next game, because if they were to just copy everything from DJ Hero 2 over and think it's fine the way it is.... well I'd be pretty damn upset considering how much I love the game.

If anyone else has anything to add to the list or any comments on anything I listed above, please do so.

Last edited by mDaWg on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: XmdawgX PSN Name: X-mDaWg-X
toymachine  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should just make a way to filter out all "power deck" associated scores.

Yes Hyperdeck would be included but didn't we do this dance in DJ Hero 1 lol
cmmc222  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 and 4 is what bothers me the most. With hyper decks I figured "ah guess I'm not trying for high scrores I'll just play online" but when over half of the games that I can find they're either medium win boosters or quitters. I'm struggling to stay on the first page when half of my time I do get to play gets wasted by people who quit on that end of the last mix. I'd be pleased if they would throw what difficulty you play on the most so you can tell who is legit and who is a fake on the leaderboards with filters for difficulty. I have twice as much skill as these boosters I shouldn't have to work twice as hard to show that I'm better.
mDaWg  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
they should just make a way to filter out all "power deck" associated scores.

Yes Hyperdeck would be included but didn't we do this dance in DJ Hero 1 lol

Hyperdeck should be the same as hyperspeed in guitar hero. There should be no score advantage or disadvantage. Like I said, not everybody is going to agree with me on that one because it's a personal preference, but it's been included in music games since early bemani games and is in guitar hero and rock band 2 and 3 as an extra, not a cheat... so why can't we have it too?

The way I usually like to explain it to those who call it cheating, is to think of it as wearing a pair of glasses. Some people need them to see or read, while other's have perfectly good eyes and a brain that don't require glasses.

If everyone has the option to use it or disable it, it's not a cheat. Some people are able to read charts better with the speed cranked up, while others need it to move at a slower pace.

I like the fact that DJ Hero 2 charts move much faster in this game than the previous because I am a lot better at reading charts this way, but at the same time I kind of disagree with it. I feel bad for those players out there who have trouble reading it with how fast it moves now and were adjusted to the way DJ hero 1 charts used to scroll. To me, that almost feels like now I'm at an advantage while others are at disadvantage since they can't slow it down or turn it off. I think we should have the same speed as DJ hero 1, but with the option to speed it up in increments as guitar hero does.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well typed-out constructive criticism. I agree from top to bottom about every point you made. We all love this game a lot, but the points you mentioned should definitely not go unheard by those involved in developing the game.

I want to say that the DJ battles is by far my favorite online play. It's what I mostly play because it contains many of my favorite mixes. With that said, I wanted to add that I don't like how we can't quickplay the battle mixes. The only way to even play some of them is to have a second controller and/or play online.

So the way I have to practice some of the battle mixes is by local play and just setting up a phantom second player on my other controller. Not a very practical thing for the player to do. I bet some of us would even enjoy to play both sides of the battle mix, but I understand this may go against the logic of what a battle mix is supposed to be in the first place. It would be cool to see the battle mixes on the scoreboards though. I don't know; maybe there can be a solution for this in the future.

I don't want to reiterate what mdawg said but I never actually enjoy rewinding. I suppose it's there to further spread the scores out. If the developers are so keen on leaving rewind in the game, I would say to create a limit on the number of rewinds you can use in a song.... like.. no more than 3. I mean it only makes sense right? No DJ rewinds 20 times in a song.
And to take it further, it shouldn't even be called rewind. The way I envision it would be to allow the player to create cue points in a song (on beat), no more than 4 measures long. And you would have to go back to your cue in proper time (like freestyles i guess?).

Anyway, there is some more I'll add later.
parzrevenge  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit the nail on the head

1. REALLY retarded they implemented that into the leaderboards, but an lol thing about it is that last night i played through stylo my 2nd run ever, and got 1st place somehow with no "decks" or whatever theyre called, beating like 10 people that used one XD
2. agreed, i definitely wouldnt use it often, if at all, but yes this still should be an option
3. FACE
4. PALM
5. always hated them, i wouldnt miss em at all if they ever decided to take em out in any future installments (but im sure they wont =/), i think we all had those times of our streak breaking for no reason when using a rewind X_X and they arent very YT-audience friendly for the most part >_>
6. that actually does bug me a bit

even if most of u dont care/sing at all for the game, vocals deserves to be an issue to bring up...i could literally write a book on whats wrong with it, but ill just give u a quick example thats just totally lolstupid:

one thing thats so retarded about not having scrolling vox AND having the goddamn highway up at the top is that when u get a "_____ is online" or new message indication in the corner, it covers up a good 1/3+ of the highway up cause the phrase is set onto where ever it appears on the screen due to static vox, meaning i actually have to turn off the indications now whenever i wanna play vox >_______________>

as for actual dj stuff, this may be more of my own personal preference/opinion, but i HATE the new gameplay feature of holding down a button when its long/sustained (forgive me if it has a proper name), but more than anything i hate the "downward scratch sustain", gets/feels too akward to execute at times without having to let go of it early, and i HATE how the track disappears if u let go of it early, almost like u missed something but ur streak remains unbroken, but i guess i should be thankful that they DIDNT implement a streak being broken if u let go of it early >_> again, this may just be a personal opinion rather than a community complaint, but i feel pretty strongly about this one

and then a more obvious thing they didnt fix from djh1 would be no indication of a 100% and/or fc of a mix shown in the quickplay setlist, they STILL only show it as a mere 5*, which bugs me due to the fact that when im deciding what i should try to fc next, i sometimes cant remember/will forget which mixes ive already fcd, they should at least give us 6*, different colored stars, or even show a % next to the mix on the setlist to differentiate fcs from non fc/HS runs...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily agree with the Hyperdeck business (only because expert seems to be on half-hyper this time around anyway), but everything else is spot on.

I don't mind playing people on medium and hard, but about the first time you can't beat someone because theyre 100%ing everything on medium it gets damn frustrating.

An online filter to choose opponent difficulty and a leaderboards filter (with or without powerdecks) would be much appreciated.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
mDaWg  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with the Hyperdeck business (only because expert seems to be on half-hyper this time around anyway), but everything else is spot on.

I don't mind playing people on medium and hard, but about the first time you can't beat someone because theyre 100%ing everything on medium it gets damn frustrating.

An online filter to choose opponent difficulty and a leaderboards filter (with or without powerdecks) would be much appreciated.

Try playing super battle breaks against someone on medium. It destroys your battle win/loss ratio.

And I know you don't like hyperspeed but there are alot of people who really do need it to play. I know I could do a lot better with different speeds. And with this game getting harder and harder, we're going to need it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mDaWg wrote:
Fedora wrote:

Try playing super battle breaks against someone on medium. It destroys your battle win/loss ratio.

And I know you don't like hyperspeed but there are alot of people who really do need it to play. I know I could do a lot better with different speeds. And with this game getting harder and harder, we're going to need it.

Agreed, even though I don't like it. I got used to reading "sets" of notes in the first one, which gets a lot harder at the faster speeds. I don't even mind it being unlisted as a cheat at this point because I'm fucking tired of listening to the argument as if Guitar Hero is some sort of Supreme Court ruling meant to apply to every rhythm game ever.

Also, in XBL matches You know what difficulty you and they are playing on before you pick the songs. Why wouldn't you pick something easier to 100%+ if you knew they were going that route?

When you complain how easy the game is it makes it hard to garner sympathy for tweaks that would make you do "a lot better." Multiple speeds goes on the back burner behind "practice mode" as far as something that needs to be in DJH3.

mDaWg  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora wrote:
mDaWg wrote:
Fedora wrote:

Agreed, even though I don't like it. I got used to reading "sets" of notes in the first one, which gets a lot harder at the faster speeds. I don't even mind it being unlisted as a cheat at this point because I'm fucking tired of listening to the argument as if Guitar Hero is some sort of Supreme Court ruling meant to apply to every rhythm game ever.

Also, in XBL matches You know what difficulty you and they are playing on before you pick the songs. Why wouldn't you pick something easier to 100%+ if you knew they were going that route?

When you complain how easy the game is it makes it hard to garner sympathy for tweaks that would make you do "a lot better." Multiple speeds goes on the back burner behind "practice mode" as far as something that needs to be in DJH3.

I don't know why you're saying I or anyone else thinks Guitar Hero is a supreme court ruling... speed mods have been in pretty much every rhythm game ever released since konami started doing it years ago. Plus, I'm sticking up for you here. You'd get your slow speed and I can have my fast speed. If everyone is happy, why is this a problem?

I personally don't really need a practice mode since I'm not really having any trouble now that we have a better hyperspeed, but it would be nice and I do think that belongs on the this list.

Either way, its not like recoding hyperspeed would take them weeks to figure out... it's pretty easy to move it around if its already implemented. There's no reason it shouldn't be fixed in the next game.

And I don't know how much online play you've been doing... but you don't always get the choice of songs. Especially when its only 1 mix. Even then, if they're really an expert player on medium they could easily FC the song on you while you're on expert... you miss one note, you're screwed (in checkpoint at least). You might just not have run into these people or been in this situation yet... but you will.

Also, when I said the game was getting "harder and harder" I meant that DJ hero 2 is harder than DJ Hero 1, therefore DJ Hero 3 will be harder... DJ Hero 2 isn't too bad, but there's alot of tricky stuff (which I like). If it gets even trickier than it is now, we're going to need hyperspeed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pretty much all of that I guess.

DDRfreak457  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreeing with everything

It just sucks that im not gonna be excited about entering new scores onto score hero this time since they won't be high enough unless they were using the rewind deck. That takes the fun out of it for me, competing with others for a score on a song. Now in order for us to do that, we have to spend 15 mins or more playing each song. Not fun.

I just plan on finishing the achievements and playing games with some of you guys. I don't see how I could play every mix on this game with the rewind deck over and over.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of liked the idea of the Scorehero boards being no-power-deck.

nytelyte  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora wrote:
I sort of liked the idea of the Scorehero boards being no-power-deck.

As much as I would like this, there would be no way to enforce it, which is unfortunate. The only way to truly enforce it is to have video of every score entry showing the player going from the DJ Deck menu into the song, getting the score, and posting the video as proof. This is obviously too much effort and not everyone has a videocam. =\

So, looks like powerdecks on score hero.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: nyt3lyt3 ICQ Number
Kingsy  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some most if what you say mDawg. I myself love the rewinds in DJ Hero, especially DJH2, for the fact it allows you to change up the mix differently because of the freestyle sections. As for rewinds going twice as far back in DJH2, that is only with the power deck, which is a choice to use but with how the leaderboards are in DJH2, is really a standard if you want be on the top.

As for multiplayer, oh god, there is such a love/hate feeling I have for it, it is retarded. For one, I LOVE the new multiplayer modes. They all have great concepts and if played with someone on the same difficulty, they can be a shit ton of fun but that is the biggest problem with it, no difficulty filter (in a sense.) When it comes to Accumulator, Streak and Star Battle, it really doesn't matter what difficulty your opponent is on, if you got the skill, you take 'em out no problem but for Checkpoint and DJ Battle, there is a huge ass problem for me. When playing on either of thes game modes, which I choose not to anymore, There are sections that will hit 100% and it will give me something like 95% where my opponent, who is usually on medium or hard, will blatantly miss some lose combo and at the next checkpoint and it will say they hit 100% or whatever and if we both hit 100% it ALWAYS gives it to my opponent. I don't get it.
Guitar: Expert
Bass: Expert
Drums: Expert+
Vocals: Hard
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kingsy PSN Name: theKingsy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: