ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Beat question (my apocalypse).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fla  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Beat question (my apocalypse). Reply with quote

I've been playing for some time now, but there's still a beat I can't play, and it's something like this:

...k...kk

Where 'k' is the bass drum kick.
Like in My Apocalyplse, it's a really fast beat and I can't do it at all.

It makes so much more sense that the kick is after the yellow stroke and not before like TtFaF or Raining blood. I manage to play those beats, but when I try the other, I eventually start kicking after the yellow stroke.

Any tips on this beat?
Mike65707  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to ignore the notes other than the kicks..I'll explain.

The yellow and the reds are keeping a simple pattern. If you can get your hands to hit them without thinking about them, you can focus most of your thought on hitting those kicks.

Really, it's just a matter of practice.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the beat down

and there you go

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
B-Fuzz  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
You get the beat down

and there you go
As dry of an answer as this is, he's basically right. I remember when I used to not be able to pass this, but now I can consistently 5* it, and I think I may be able to FC it. It's just a matter of a lot of practice, and you'll eventually get it down. As Mike said, it's also very important to focus on the kicks and hit them on time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well the thing is...I mastered the basic pattern which is (Yk), (YR), (Yk), (YR). And nowadays, I play it pretty solid at any speed, however, it seems that my right foot became programmed to kick at the same time as yellows.

When I started attempting the other pattern, at a slower speed I use one foot to play the double kick, but at something like TtFaF I must use both. Just a tap with the left foot after the right one hits the yellow...
So my right foot is stuck with yellows and I always start a double kick with it...

In this song I don't think it will work.
And if I just ignore the cymbals and snare I eventually start messing it up by delaying or speeding the beat.

I guess I just have to spend some time on practice starting slow.
CoalfieldRocker  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm well the best thing to do is get yourself used to starting that LR with your feet, so your right foot still hits on top of the note. The easiest way for me to do this was play Shortest Straw (the old one on GH:M) there are a lot of double kicks with no sticking at all on either note and you can train yourself to hit them LR, then work your way into My Apocalypse.

All nightmare long also has this pattern for a small section towards the end of the song.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I even find myself having trouble start rolls with my left hand, and I usually only do it if it's an odd number of notes...

Not sure I can get used to LR with my feet. I might try to 1 foot it despite the insanely fast beat.
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it as right foot on the first kick, then the series of two kicks, I do right on the first and left on the second. It sounds weird and definitely odd as notes, but it works very well for me.

Fla  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll see what I can do, what makes more sense that is...

And a few posts ago it was said to get the beat down. I know well what that means, I remember when I couldn't read the simple pattern: Yk, YR, k, Y, k, YR. Just kept guessing what rythm it was as the notes reached the strike line...
Now I can consistently hit that and a lot of other patterns without having to look at the chart, just need to know when the beat changes to something else.
CoalfieldRocker  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fla wrote:
Ugh, I even find myself having trouble start rolls with my left hand, and I usually only do it if it's an odd number of notes...

Not sure I can get used to LR with my feet. I might try to 1 foot it despite the insanely fast beat.

i rarely ever start a roll with my left hand, always better just to end the roll with a double stroke. at least for me anyways. the only time i start left is for a roll of 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a cymbal kick after the 3 roll, or by that means, an odd number of rolls, I never start it with my left hand.
Marbler  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Toxicity (~17 NPS red bursts), I start all but 2 of those with my left hand...

0_1_1_0_1_1_01010_1_0_1

Where 0 is left and 1 is right

I guess what I'm saying is you could learn to start rolls with your left hand, and that could make some things easier.

But on the topic of My Apocalypse, I might have read it wrong, but it looks like what you're saying is that it goes like this:

So what you could do is this:

And add in the second kick after you get that down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Marbler
Fla  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Marbler, that is what I meant, i don't know how to do bass emoticons...
And I was trying out just a while ago, and I seriously have a hard time starting rolls with my left hand...

My Apocalypse is just an example, there are other songs that have this beat, I chose this one because the whole song is pretty much made of this pattern.

I tried today starting it slow to hear what the beat sounds like. I was able to hit it on slower speeds, but when I switched to full speed I still delay the double kick after the YR like I would play it as: YR, Yk, k, YR.

It's hopeless...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: