ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SSX Thread: Game Is Released Now!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilpacman18  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: SSX Thread: Game Is Released Now! Reply with quote

This morning, the trailer for a new SSX was FINALLY revealed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkDL6gWUa8

Looks like they're attempting to "redefine the franchise" by adding a plot (which I don't believe SSX ever needed) and making it "gritty." SSX is all about the beautiful colors and environments, I'm VERY skeptical about their decision to make everything gray, or at least that's what the trailer made it look like. Gamesradar jumped on the squirrel suit at the end of the trailer. Anyway gimme your thoughts on that trailer!

And also NOSTALGIA!

SSX is my second favorite game series of all time (after GH, of course) and I've REALLY missed it. I've never played the original, unfortunately, but for me, SSX 3 is my favorite and then I always have trouble deciding between SSX Tricky and SSX On Tour. Tricky is the reason I love SSX as much as I do and I think the uber tricks in it were the best in the series (Zoey's Pendulum, Mac's Walking the Dog, Simon's Guillotine, JP's Head Spin to Poseur) but compared to the physics engines of 3 and On Tour, I think it was pretty lacking. On Tour had the best sound track and there was always a fantastic feeling of speed that none of the other games achieved so well, even if On Tour DID have the worst tricks and the commands to execute the tricks sucked (lol trick stick). Blur was a great idea and I LOVED the look of it but the motion controls messed it up a bit for me since they were pretty hit-and-miss.
uSound  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this? SSX: Black Ops? I don't like where this is headed so far. Why redefine what was good? I liked the fun aspect of the game, this one looks way too serious. Plus, like you said, the soundtracks to these games have just gotten better with each release. What are we going to ride to in this game? The Inception soundtrack? I got hyped when I first heard about a new SSX game, but this trailer has me a little upset.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with the teaser at all, especially the Call of Duty talk I've been hearing, which is kinda dumb to say I think for something that doesn't have combat.

Can't say I've played a snowboarding game in years, but I do remember playing the original. I don't really have any hype for this game, but if can make for a good snowboarding game, I say that whatever they bring is just fine.

I should go back and play my favorite snowboarding game sometime...1080 Snowboarding on the N64
uSound  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the teaser at all, especially the Call of Duty talk I've been hearing, which is kinda dumb to say I think for something that doesn't have combat.

It's not the combat aspect as much as it is the graphical style which is more subdued and dark, plus the trailer makes it seem like you're on a covert mission of some sort rather than busting out big airs with grabs of the über variety.

I missed out on so much having a PS1 instead of an N64 as a kid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing SSX Tricky... I always liked it a lot more than my friends did. I used to dominate the mode where you try to get the most points but honestly I'm pretty pathetic at racing, as I am in most games. It took me probably hundreds of tries to beat each of the last few races in midnight club 2.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uSound wrote:
MSH-Hitman wrote:

It's not the combat aspect as much as it is the graphical style which is more subdued and dark, plus the trailer makes it seem like you're on a covert mission of some sort rather than busting out big airs with grabs of the über variety.

I missed out on so much having a PS1 instead of an N64 as a kid.

Sure it's not exactly going the whole...fun and carefree aspect, but I don't think a more real and darker feel really warrants the CoD comparison. Just going for something that's just not another basic snowboarding game which has been done plenty of times. We'll see though. It's supposed to be about people dominating the dangerous mountains in the world, so it could be pretty crazy.
mjharper  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved SSX 3 and On Tour, and I felt that Blur was kind of a letdown. I'm hoping this game is sort of a return to what made the games great to me - awesome tracks, decent soundtrack, and (if you have to include them) motion controls that only accentuate what you're doing and not dominate gameplay. I couldn't get into Blur because of the whole "leaning" motion control, not to mention the uber tricks that were next to impossible to perform consistently.

I understand the need to evolve the series, but don't forget what made SSX a great game in the first place. I hate the comparison, but it's why I don't really play GH/RB any more - it's all essentially the same game. Racing games like Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, etc. have evolved, but are still great. Mario Kart uses motion control, but only as an option, and I think that game was much better for it. I'm interested in this new SSX, but I want to hear more before putting it in a wish list.

That, and being released on Wii will kinda help, since that's all I own right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 3229904674934577
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did enjoy the scenery in SSX Tricky and SSX 3 (my favorite two games of the series, though I've never played Blur and never did buy On Tour), so it'll probably be a slight turn-off for a darker scenery. But, so long as they keep the mountain scheme introduced in SSX 3 and keep the Ubers like they did in SSX 3, I would be happy.

btw, its PSYMON, NOT SIMON! Don't be dissing my favorite SSX character like that!

Mjharper: I agree about the awesome tracks and great ST. IMO the best out of the ones I've heard is SSX3's (though, if you can't tell, I love SSX 3 over the others, so I might come off a bit fanboyish). Adding the "1 mountain, three peaks" spiel to SSX 3 really did give me a sense of freedom in the games, even though I wish there was more to it than just that.

tl;dr: Keep the "1 mountain" style, keep the awesome tracks, keep the great music, keep the original characters (especially Psymon!), keep Ubers that look just as good as Tricky's/SSX3's, and I'd be happy.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
tl;dr: Keep the "1 mountain" style, keep the awesome tracks, keep the great music, keep the original characters (especially Psymon!), keep Ubers that look just as good as Tricky's/SSX3's, and I'd be happy.

So you basically want them to remake the game exactly the same as it was before, but with better graphics/layout/menus/settings etc...

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:

So you basically want them to remake the game exactly the same as it was before, but with better graphics/layout/menus/settings etc...

Why not? Tricky was basically the same thing as SSX with some new features IIRC, and it was regarded as the best snowboarding game ever at its release...

I personally don't think they should do it, I just think it's a more viable option than you're giving it credit for. Halo 1 is being remade... I sure as hell wouldn't complain if my favorite game in the series (Tricky) was remade with better graphics and some updated features.

All in all, I'm afraid of the dark design. I just hope that at some point they decide to rethink the overall tone of the game before they release if it really is as serious as it comes off in this trailer. I'm going to play it regardless. I'm going to give it a chance.

Does anyone else think they that should at some point go cel-shaded with this series? Obviously if this whole "dark theme" works out, scrap that idea. But if they ever go back to the over the top cartoony style, I'd say this game would be cool with cel-shaded graphics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the SSX: Black Ops quip.

mjharper wrote:
That, and being released on Wii will kinda help, since that's all I own right now.

Already announced for just PS3 and 360. I'm gonna be so mad if they make it for Kinect/Move. SSX and motion control DOES NOT WORK

Here's a related post that I made on another site. I'd edit it to pretend that it was written originally for this site but I'm lazy.

evilpacman18 wrote:
SnowmanXIV wrote:
SSX Deadly Descent -- Lolno. Sports game + life-threatening story = fail. At least to me. But no, why make an awesome ski/snowboard game with Kinect/Move/MotionPlus+Balance Board features when you can put death in the game?

If you've ever played an SSX game, you'd know that it couldn't work with motion controls. (See SSX Blur). SSX is my favorite game series after Guitar Hero. First of all, the only people that think SSX Tricky is the best SSX are the people that have only played SSX. SSX Tricky is by far the most popular and the series peaked in popularity at that game but 3 improved on it in every way except sales and just about everyone I've met who's played 3 agrees that it's better than Tricky. On Tour is also arguably better. The other thing I wanted to say, SSX may not really need a plot at all, but no matter how good or bad the plot is, it won't affect the game. SSX is ALL about the gameplay and the trailer already sort of revealed that they'll be keeping the game focused on epic tricks, even if there is a plot. I am disappointed that they've chosen to make the game look like SSX: Black Ops, since a big part of SSX was how colorful and upbeat the game looked and sounded, but again, SSX is about big air and bigger tricks and they're obviously keeping both of those. There's no reason to doubt the game yet.

Last edited by evilpacman18 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: evilpacman1742 Wii Friend Code: 2190049606085350
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's only an optional aspect. I'm never buying Kinect. Looks totally useless to me.
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Tricky WAS better than SSX3 simply because the whole open world thing was a massive fail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtresso wrote:
Honestly Tricky WAS better than SSX3 simply because the whole open world thing was a massive fail.

I got SSX 3 way after On Tour was new so maybe that's why I'm not seeing where you're coming from. If it was advertised as open world then maybe I can understand this argument a bit but I think, especially for a snowboarding game, 30 minutes from top to bottom of only about 60% of the tracks is pretty massive. And if you started at the top of the mountain it was possible to ride down to every track in the game so I think it's fair to call it open-world, even though On Tour was even more so than 3 was.
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're talking about SSX 3, you could only ride the racetracks from top to bottom. But I agree that SSX 3 could very well be called "open-world", even if only in the loosest sense.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: