Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
American Attitudes towards Atheism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people who I know who consider themselves "atheist" are usually kids who think they're cool by believing such a hardcore and different thing.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:
Most people who I know who consider themselves "atheist" are usually kids who think they're cool by believing such a hardcore and different thing.

Gonna call bullshit on the word "most." Massive bullshit.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

All?
arvain  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

lol yeah. Still it wouldn't be too surprising, using that as a new "kool thing" and stuff...

Unfortunately, those who consider themselves as atheists just because that's how they think, will be regarded as "kids who think they're cool and hardcore and different". (i guess it can apply to anything, not just religious beliefs)
fudrick  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:

More like people who have the freedom of thought and reasoning skills to not believe completely ridiculous and illogical things simply because they've been taught these things since childhood.

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

I think the operative word in his case is "that I know." Sadly I'd have to make the same claim, but I'm also smart enough to know that doesn't represent every atheist out there, not my a longshot. For every 10 annoying atheists I have met, I know a couple of pretty cool atheists, so I try to let those folks determine my attitude towards the matter.

I know full well Christians can be just as bad in different ways. But I just can't stand when people's reasoning behind their religious beliefs or lack thereof is just to "rebel" against the other side. Seems a bit childish so it's no coincidence most of the atheists I know are teenagers who are also angry at their Catholic parents. I don't care what a person believes, but please people do it for yourself, make your own decision and don't have some chip on your shoulder like so many of these kids, religious or no.

But like I said I know that's not the case for everyone. There are a lot of cool atheists out there that are so cool we don't know they're atheists (IMO religious/anti-religious talk should be kept to yourself, as it's a personal choice and belief, and not meant to be pushed on anyone at all). But not all would agree.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

More like people who have the freedom of thought and reasoning skills to not believe completely ridiculous and illogical things simply because they've been taught these things since childhood.

You're ridiculous and illogical for believing that religion is ridiculous and illogical.

Also was Fugitive saying that a lot of people I know are most likely actually atheist or was he somewhat agreeing by saying all people that I know are just acting cool?
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I think the operative word in his case is "that I know." Sadly I'd have to make the same claim, but I'm also smart enough to know that doesn't represent every atheist out there, not my a longshot. For every 10 annoying atheists I have met, I know a couple of pretty cool atheists, so I try to let those folks determine my attitude towards the matter.

I know full well Christians can be just as bad in different ways. But I just can't stand when people's reasoning behind their religious beliefs or lack thereof is just to "rebel" against the other side. Seems a bit childish so it's no coincidence most of the atheists I know are teenagers who are also angry at their Catholic parents.

But like I said I know that's not the case for everyone. There are a lot of cool atheists out there that are so cool we don't know they're atheists (IMO religious/anti-religious talk should be kept to yourself, as it's a personal choice and belief, and not meant to be pushed on anyone at all). But not all would agree.

Right, it's an "us vs. them" thing. I think a lot of them are legitimately atheist, but the only reason they bother mentioning it is to establish that they are a rebel. What a crappy way to rebel. It would be more effective to smoke a lot of pot and call it the right thing to do. Not that I necessarily disagree with it, but drug use in teenagers is often a method of rebellion more than anything too.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll rephrase. I doubt any (yes any) atheists are atheists BECAUSE they think it's cool and rebellious, you probably just perceive that as their reason. Sure, they may think they are cool and rebellious, but that's not their reason for being an atheist. It'd be COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS if you truly believe in a religion to go against it just to be cool and different.

You're basically saying that these kids you know actually believe in a higher power but pretend not to. Thus, I call bullshit.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
I guess I'll rephrase. I doubt any (yes any) atheists are atheists BECAUSE they think it's cool and rebellious, you probably just perceive that as their reason. Sure, they may think they are cool and rebellious, but that's not their reason for being an atheist. It'd be COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS if you truly believe in a religion to go against it just to be cool and different.

You're basically saying that these kids you know actually believe in a higher power but pretend not to. Thus, I call bullshit.

I agree. Also, you're signature looks like it says "Link you should dick."
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Fugitive wrote:

I agree. Also, you're signature looks like it says "Link you should dick."

You don't want to dick my links? I'll change it :P

/waaay off-topic
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:

I truly, honestly hope you're right, but I also can't help what I perceive. I'll gladly perceive it differently when the evidence before me changes in that way. But until now, that's unfortunately what I'm presented with and as a human I make an inference accordingly. Several of the atheists I know are rebellious teenagers who complain about how unfair it is that they have to go to church and some such. *sigh

I truly hope all of you have chosen to be whatever religious or anti-religious thing you decided to be by yourself and no one else. Just as sad as being a rebel atheist is being a Christian just because you've always been a Christian. I'm not just ganging up on one side here.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I sort of have a reason to believe that. At one point I thought I didn't believe in anything, and I thought it was kind of cool to believe something completely "different". But then I figured out that if I do something bad, I think a higher power will do something bad to me, thus not making me atheist.

Now I consider myself Agnostic.
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvain wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:
I don't think that was even directed at the people in this topic...

I know.

Then why'd you say that?

Quote:
voidedalive2x wrote:
And...how did you get "Hey look I'm imposing my views on you!" from "Okay, what I said right before this might sound offensive, but I'm willing to back up my claims in there if you don't believe me"? (That isn't what he said, of course; I'm doing my own paraphrasing. But that definitely is what it sounded like.)

Yes, but that's how I've heard other people starting from "I'm not an idiot if I think this way" to some other... "stronger" statements. But it doesn't matter, cause the basic point of this thread was the opposite anyway : people who do NOT believe are sometimes regarded as 2nd class citizens, which apparently was one of the reasons for this campaign. And to me, if those people in the video (especially from the tv) find this campaign shocking or anything.... they're just not acknowledging the fact that people ARE being "discriminated" for their lack of belief. (i was looking for a different word instead of discriminated, couldn't find it. sounds a bit too strong, but then again, if people are just as much scared of coming out as atheist, as they're to come out as gay... there must be some real discrimination going!)

1. What campaign again? I don't remember one being referred to in the OP, though there was one mentioned a few posts down.
2. Those are probably two of the biggest discriminations left, since racism is gone. In regards to gays, I'm not that pleased by a picture of two guys getting married and all, but I don't see why I should condemn it? As for athiests...that's just stupidity.
3. good job dodging my question, btw.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, just say the Bible. That's really the only book that's going to be talked about in here unless people branch off into the Jewish and Muslim texts (whose names escape me at the time of this posting).

Most likely but you never know. (on a random note I've read a good part of the Bible... ughhh regardless of what it was talking about and the credit i was giving to it, reading it was painful)

Psalms and most of the Prophets? Boring, yes. I rather like Joshua-2 Chronicles, Esther, Daniel, etc.

Fudrick: From the way SPH sounds, they're not teens who are keen on rationalizing.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
arvain  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
What campaign again? I don't remember one being referred to in the OP

This ad campaign, in the OP. Such ad campaign can't come out of nowhere. I'm glad I won't have to see any like that in here (which doesn't mean there wouldn't be similar stuff going on regarding other issues than religion).

voidedalive2x wrote:
In regards to gays, I'm not that pleased by a picture of two guys getting married and all, but I don't see why I should condemn it?

good, I don't see why either haha x)

I realize I don't know any really religious person irl... only heard some "I don't think there's noone out there... but I don't know". Still amazed how religion has such a different importance from a country to another
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 3 of 45

Jump to: