ProfileProfile Log inLog in
American Attitudes towards Atheism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:
I heavily dislike smoking, and I would much prefer it if no one ever did. However, I and/or my family must allow smokers into my household sometimes, and we tell them that they must smoke outside if they want to at all. I don't like what they're doing, and no way in hell would I ever, but I must tolerate their habit for as long as I must, and enforce what rules I can to ensure that the time goes as smoothly as possible.

You're not in a position to tell people how to live their lives though whereas Christians believe that God is, so that analogy falls short. This is why I hate argument by analogy, you'll never find one that fits the situation perfectly so debate the issue itself.

I know I'm not, just like Christians couldn't go around telling people to give up slavery.

Now, you do ask why God doesn't essentially just up and remove slavery, is that what I'm seeing? If it is, then many people in the world probably wouldn't even consider joining with him because one of their prime industries and such is gone. It sounds a lot like I'm saying it's about getting followers, but sadly that's the best argument I can come up with at this point.

Fugitive wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:
Similarly, Christians at the time may have been very anti-slavery, but were in no power to give rules against it, but only give rules for slaves and slaveowners to abide by.

(I feel like I fudged the analogy horribly, but I hope you get my point.)

Wow, I seriously responded to the analogy first and thread read your second half of the post and you seem to understand the fallacy. :P

No, I don't think I understand the fallacy. I just think I used a very bad analogy to prove my point.

Also, "thread read"? Was that supposed to say "then read"?

Fugitive wrote:
IIRC though, that was Jesus (who Christians believe is Yahweh) directly saying the rules about slavery, and Christians should believe that their god does have the power to make rules against it being that they think he's omnipotent and all.

If Jesus went around outlawing slavery and such, he'd have been killed within a week without completing his mission. Sounds simple enough to me, but I'm betting you have fault with that, and I'm not entirely sure I can answer you satisfactorily.

You may think I'm deciding to cop out, and I might be, but at this point I cannot safely argue without making a complete fool of myself in trying to argue this point. Can we agree to disagree?

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
If Jesus went around outlawing slavery and such, he'd have been killed within a week without completing his mission.

But then that's a direct contradiction to what God said numerous times (and Jesus too), about him staying alive and how the Pharisees and guards didn't kill him yet because it was not his time.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in free will as a possible reason that He didn't just do away with slavery. He's trying to point us in the right direction of how to live life by his scripture, but He's not going to change it all for us (eg POOF slavery is no more).

Edit: better worded, respond to this instead of what I had before.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:
If Jesus went around outlawing slavery and such, he'd have been killed within a week without completing his mission.

But then that's a direct contradiction to what God said numerous times (and Jesus too), about him staying alive and how the Pharisees and guards didn't kill him yet because it was not his time.

Okay, that's true, but it would've severely hampered his mission when he was teaching to people.

ready2rock: Very true.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretgod, you're telling people to "research" whatever these ridiculous misogynist bible verses are saying / DONT EAT SHELLFISH, while you present absolutely no evidence towards your argument. So how about you do some research, because clearly you have not.
Shikka  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm very late to join this discussion but I have to say something real quick.

Christians always infuriate me for numerous reasons when they use the "you don't understand/ out of context" argument. First of all, they almost never bother to actually explain what the particular verse actually means and if they do the argument is extremely weak. It's usually just "you need to really read the bible to understand" as if I was reading their precious holy book the wrong way. I've actually read the part of the bible with those verses and I fail to see how their out of context.

Which leads me to my next point. This is a book supposedly inspired by god. Why am I having such a problem understanding it then? Honestly, I expect a book such as this to be perfectly clear in its message. Why should I have to resort to listening to theologists and religious leaders to understand it?

ferretgod  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:
Ferretgod, you're telling people to "research" whatever these ridiculous misogynist bible verses are saying / DONT EAT SHELLFISH, while you present absolutely no evidence towards your argument. So how about you do some research, because clearly you have not.
I did my research a few years ago when I became a Christian. Like I said, you guys are cherry picking verses from a google search, if you were truly objective you'd see what the other side has to say. Why should I do for you what you guys failed to do on your own? If you want websites and other resources to point you to then I will, no problem. But I am not about to respond to several different verses you posed and already gave a rebuttal to without even hearing the argument. It's pointless.

I couldn't resist lulz
"I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, because America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." ~Newt Gingrich
"To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt." - Thomas Jefferson
"What was wrong with communism wasn't aberrant leadership, it was communism" - William F. Buckley, Jr.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I said I didn't partake in religious discussion, but I've heard a saying that someone else here could probably explain to me. "If you want to become an Atheist, read the bible cover to cover." I've never once even looked inside a Bible before (My family isn't to religious) so I'm not entirely sure what is meant with this saying. I have heard that the bible has a lot of strange stories involving rape, prejudice, murder and such, but reading things like that would "drive a person to become Atheist."

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
GesterX  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
I know I said I didn't partake in religious discussion, but I've heard a saying that someone else here could probably explain to me. "If you want to become an Atheist, read the bible cover to cover." I've never once even looked inside a Bible before (My family isn't to religious) so I'm not entirely sure what is meant with this saying. I have heard that the bible has a lot of strange stories involving rape, prejudice, murder and such, but reading things like that would "drive a person to become Atheist."

This is actually what happened to me. When I was about 17 I was still a Christian and I decided I should read the book of my faith all the way through to understand where my beliefs come from. It didn't take long for me to spot numerous contradictions, odd passages with seemingly illogical content, and things that just "didn't make sense". Of course I found numerous apologist explanations on the Internet but for the first time I was really questioning my faith. SO I decided to objectively analyse my faith logically and rationally. Long story short... I am now an Atheist and have been for the last 4 years.

This is just my personal experience but it relates well to the "If you want to become an Atheist, read the bible cover to cover." quote. For a better insight watch this EXCELLENT video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70SYwkoH_yc

His experience is very similar to mine!
GesterX  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:

This is actually what happened to me. When I was about 17 I was still a Christian and I decided I should read the book of my faith all the way through to understand where my beliefs come from. It didn't take long for me to spot numerous contradictions, odd passages with seemingly illogical content, and things that just "didn't make sense". Of course I found numerous apologist explanations on the Internet but for the first time I was really questioning my faith. SO I decided to objectively analyse my faith logically and rationally. Long story short... I am now an Atheist and have been for the last 4 years.

This is just my personal experience but it relates well to the "If you want to become an Atheist, read the bible cover to cover." quote. For a better insight watch this EXCELLENT video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70SYwkoH_yc

His experience is very similar to mine!
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferretgod wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:
I did my research a few years ago when I became a Christian. Like I said, you guys are cherry picking verses from a google search, if you were truly objective you'd see what the other side has to say. Why should I do for you what you guys failed to do on your own? If you want websites and other resources to point you to then I will, no problem. But I am not about to respond to several different verses you posed and already gave a rebuttal to without even hearing the argument. It's pointless.

MY ARGUMENT IS THAT THE BIBLE IS MISOGYNISTIC AND ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE YOU CAN'T EAT SHELLFISH

CAN YOU READ THIS NOW? I HOPE CAPS LOCK HELPS.
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shikka wrote:
Which leads me to my next point. This is a book supposedly inspired by god. Why am I having such a problem understanding it then? Honestly, I expect a book such as this to be perfectly clear in its message. Why should I have to resort to listening to theologists and religious leaders to understand it?
What don't you understand?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferretgod wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
ferretgod wrote:
Yeah, I've read it before. I get why you would post it. It does seem pretty bad on the surface. That's why I decided to look into it further when I encountered it a few years ago.

1 Peter 3:15 wrote:
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

My favorite Bible verse. God's commanding you to give us the answers we seek, so speak!

And again, why is that everything that's seemingly bad and/or completely illogical in the Bible is ALWAYS either taken out of context (according to Christians) or has some hidden meaning that only Christians can figure out? And at the same time, how come all the "good" stuff in the Bible is never taken out of context when Christians talk about how great God is? Maybe the good stuff doesn't actually mean what you think it does.

Seems you missed my post the other day. Why should you answer us? Because your god tells you to. Unless, of course, this is yet another verse that's taken out of context. So please, enlighten us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip wrote:
Shikka wrote:
What don't you understand?

Ah I'm sorry I should have been more clear. It was really late at night and I was tired. Anyway, that part was a follow up to the last paragraph about it being out of context. Christians always tell me that I do not understand and need to do more research. The point I was trying to make is that I feel that I should not have to do more research on a book supposedly inspired by god to understand it. The book should be able to hold its own. If this is the best God can do, he/she/it is incompetent at best.

PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferretgod wrote:
Like I said, you guys are cherry picking verses from a google search

Actually we're taking them right from the Bible.

ferretgod wrote:
if you were truly objective you'd see what the other side has to say.

We have.

ferretgod wrote:
Why should I do for you what you guys failed to do on your own?

Because you're not excused from having to back up your argument.

ferretgod wrote:
But I am not about to respond to several different verses you posed and already gave a rebuttal to without even hearing the argument. It's pointless.

Oh okay so you're quitting.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 38 of 45

Jump to: