ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Help for a novice double bass player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Help for a novice double bass player Reply with quote

First, I'm new to this side of the forums so if I'm breaking any rules or don't know acrynoms for songs, excuse me, I'll get better in time.

So about 2 weeks ago I got Pacific Drums Dp402s from guitar center to use for my acoustic set. I have had no double bass experience before that time. But since I use a Yamaha KP65 for my RB/GH setup, this morning, after a couple days of "training" (Rudiments, slow alternation, ETC) I decided to try them out on GH. As it turns out, I wasn't half bad. I passed One and Fade to Black on my X+ sightreads. But now I want to get better. I'm looking for songs to get better on. I'm trying to get better at:

Double Bass fills(I believe they are similar to quad fills)

Fast double bass

Fast triple kicks

So yeah. I only have GHVH and GHM as of Present, but I'm thinking about GH5 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get GH:WoR instead of GH5, there are quite some songs with Roll + 4 Basskicks and another roll after, like Black Widow or Waidmann's Heil.

Fast Double Bass: Play Painkiller on GHVH, the Refrain is somewhat fast, but doesn't quite compare to Raining Blood or War Ensemble from Slayer.

Fast Triple Kicks are in the updated X+ Chart of the Shortest Straw for GH:WoR's Metallica Import.

Painkiller also helps you with getting Stamina, aswell as keeping Rythm, as it is double bass through almost the whole song and only 2 different Speeds pretty much. Edit: Also a very very hard Drum Outro with lots of rolls, quad/double kicks, which is completly nuts and probably the biggest reason why Painkiller X+ remains UnFC'd.

If you want to learn how to keep a steady double kick rythm, play Hot For Teacher, especially the intro helps you getting limb independency after some time, if you eventually pass it.

For learning basic Right-Left sticking rolls, I can suggest Blood and Thunder, for crazy WTFLOLOMGBBQ rolls, try War Ensemble.

I hope I could help and that what I wrote is actually true.
Still editing stuff in as it comes to my mind over time.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Painkiller for endurance and speed. I also have used The End of Heartache for basic technique and fast bursts. The only reason I asked about GH5 is that its like $20 dollars on amazon and I prefer the tracklist over GHWOR.

Anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wor would be way better for double bass
buy the song the Martyr by senses fail, it has lots of quad fills.
and then there's always overkill. That's the best song to learn with period.

BLABLAFU  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH5's list looks good on Paper, but the actual songs aren't that fun to play.

WoR has a lot of songs that you might not know about, yet they are a complete blast to play on drums.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLABLAFU wrote:
GH5's list looks good on Paper, but the actual songs aren't that fun to play.

WoR has a lot of songs that you might not know about, yet they are a complete blast to play on drums.

I see. Well, I probably won't be able to get it for a month or two anyway. Any more suggestions for what I have now?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Bent for Leather Intro is good for learning how to get slower while double bassing from my experience. (yet I never learned it myself )

Are you only looking for good double bass practice songs, or for good songs to train a bit of everything on?

Also: Do you consider yourself talented enough to take that Nickname? Really?
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLABLAFU wrote:
Hell Bent for Leather Intro is good for learning how to get slower while double bassing from my experience. (yet I never learned it myself )

Are you only looking for good double bass practice songs, or for good songs to train a bit of everything on?

Also: Do you consider yourself talented enough to take that Nickname? Really?

you are not the first to make a joke about my nickname :/

Anyway, more very fast bass or a little bit of everything. Stuff like The End of Heartache bore the shit out of me (Since it's mostly slow, straight bass)

Yeah, I do prefer Metallica just so you know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Mourning is good for a lot of things. It has disco beats, varying double bass rhythms and requires some technique to come close to a FC.

War Ensemble and Dyer's Eve are your best bets for fast double bass while also being very tiring. Also, both require holding a (easy) rhythm on a high speed.

Welcome Home (Sanitarium) has a pretty nuts part before the solo and in the outro I believe, where you can train rolls with kicks in between.
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLABLAFU wrote:
War Ensemble and Dyer's Eve are your best bets for fast double bass while also being very tiring. Also, both require holding a (easy) rhythm on a high speed.

Twilight of the Thunder God.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfurus wrote:
BLABLAFU wrote:

Twilight of the Thunder God.

Yeah..... that is gonna hurt, but I love that song, so I'll give it a go. One has also helped me with faster rhythmns, as has Fade to Black.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: