ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Vocal Engine in GH:L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Vocal Engine in GH:L Reply with quote

I'm a backing singer in my band IRL, so I decided to try my chops at some GH vocals recently. Clearly it's very different trying to sing in GH to what it is in real life. But the game does appear to be en pointe most of the time with pitch, even if it struggles a bit at lower octaves.

Anyway, I tried to set some scores for vocals on GHL. Often I found the game simply "ignoring" the fact I was singing at all. Sometimes, the comet would shoot off in a different direction to where my voice was going, or sometimes it would stay dead level on phrases that had shifting pitch.

Has anyone had any success with the vocals in this game? Is there a technique to get the comet to follow your voice more constantly? Has anybody managed to FC anything?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GingerBraFace PSN Name: GingerBraFace Wii Friend Code: 390546319559

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's at least one confirmed FGFC by Rokit, so it is possible. I've only sung maybe 2 songs and didn't notice any issues, only thing I dislike is the fact that the scoring is very similar to GHWT, most likely due to the fact that it was added more as an afterthought. I might give it a try later and tell you how my singing was with it, but it could also be an issue with your mic. I'll check out my setup when I get home from work and let you know if I have any issues.

thewinnerisgeeg: like feed the dogs and eat minipockets and ice cream
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: a2003041 PSN Name: a2003041
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is that the game is now very tight on rhythm. For talkies, you cannot just try to make noise, you have to be right on time, just like in RB. Not sure if that goes for pitched words as well. Also, the visuals are probably the worst since GH5. I haven't managed to FC anything yet, but I know at least 3 people have FGFCed on Expert, one of them being about 2 days within release, so it can't be that bad. I'll look into it soon enough.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
UltraHeroABC5  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the GH:L vocals engine is like at all, but I usually have to sing falsetto to keep my comet from shooting all over the place x)
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the game is now very tight on rhythm. For talkies, you cannot just try to make noise, you have to be right on time, just like in RB. Not sure if that goes for pitched words as well. Also, the visuals are probably the worst since GH5. I haven't managed to FC anything yet, but I know at least 3 people have FGFCed on Expert, one of them being about 2 days within release, so it can't be that bad. I'll look into it soon enough.

I never even considered rhythm might be a factor.

I didn't realise it was possible to FC in this game without getting 100%. That kind of through me off a bit when looking at the scores.

Does anyone know how the percentage is calculated? I guess it something to do with how much time the commit spends in the tunnel. But all the percentages seem bizarrely low for that to be the case.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GingerBraFace PSN Name: GingerBraFace Wii Friend Code: 390546319559
parzrevenge  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this engine is really poor. These talkies are the most broken in all of the GH engines. Even when you attempt to stay in rhythm with them there is still a chance you will miss. One of the main reasons trying to get 100% isn't worth the effort at all. Hell you will be lucky to hit mid/upper 90's most of the time.

Another thing that is confirmed broken is descending pitch slides that aren't connected to a flat/horizontal pitch at the end. When they just descend down you literally cannot hit them usually, if not, ever. Play the ending to nuclear family for reference.

Also yes the % is determined by how much you hit.

Btw @undead who was the third fgfc?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying out the engine myself earlier today, I have to agree that it's quite terrible. As far as I can tell, scoring works exactly like WT, but the score will update in real time as opposed to the end of the phrase. Sometimes it's tricky to find out when a phrase ends, but you have to look for when a word is capitalized.

On one hand, FC's should be theoretically easier, as you only have to fill up half of the pie to keep combo. However, I've found the engine has a hard time registering my pitches sometimes. As parz said, slides without a fixed pitch to end on don't work. Even normal slides don't register well from my experience.

I'm not sure if this last bit is the engine, the game, or my microphone...but I have to sing noticeably louder than in any other game, for the pitch to register. I'll try for the FGFC, mostly because there's only 42 songs, but I have a feeling it will be a complete chore.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianBAM19 wrote:
I'm not sure if this last bit is the engine, the game, or my microphone...but I have to sing noticeably louder than in any other game, for the pitch to register. I'll try for the FGFC, mostly because there's only 42 songs, but I have a feeling it will be a complete chore.

I'm might have to revisit GH:L and see if singing louder helps. I have a fairly quiet voice compared to most. The talky sections pissed me off so much last time I'm just rage quit.

Rokit  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say that the talking/yelling parts (circles, bubbles, dots-whatever you want to call them) are very easy. They don't take low or regular pitches most of the time, you need to bark or yell (which is what I do). But on the rare occasion, it will take low pitches, too.

There is only one glitched talking bubble I have found: the last phrase in Albatross. For some reason, it took parz's voice and not any of mine. I have tried to sing before it, after it, right on it, in all pitches and it won't catch my voice. I personally think it is glitched, were it not for the fact that parz was able to score it. I cannot FC Albatross because of this glitch.

The hardest part about GHL vocals for me is slides, in particular the down slides. All up slides will take while the long down slides will not always take. Even the short down slides can give you a good run for your money if you're not careful.

The GHL engine is like the previous GH engines for me, if you're not singing in the right pitch (which is the pitch that GH wants, not necessarily how it sounds), then it won't take. Just figure out the right pitch because the engine can be very unforgiving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: