SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
DS (OTD/OTMH/BH) Customs Pre-Guide & Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teancum  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opiumtest5 wrote:
on an emulator... nothing works on an emulator... theyre incompatible with the newly written data for the games. so it means that the emulators cant recognize the new crucial data that has been added to the games.

emulators need to be written to every game in order to run it youknow

Completely wrong. Emulators emulate the hardware, and while sometimes specific hacks are made for games the only thing that increases compatibility on an emulator is improved emulation of the hardware. When you're changing the content of the game it won't make any difference if the emu could play the original.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True statement...but that doesn't mean it won't work...that just means emulators are just more flexible than the real thing...it would be easy to test...

anything is possible, its just a question of the magnitude of how hard something is...

EDIT: Also...I just made half the guide, its in the OP...more to come, I would have finished it, but I need to sleep...I have introduced a new discovery in the HWAS files though to get clean sound out of it...I mention it there

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
opiumtest5  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... i just wrote that statement in a way so that its understandable for anyone but what i didnt know is that an emulator is only specified to hacks when written to it, i only thought that was applied to any game see?

anyway keep up the good work codemann! im almost done with some test charts.
Goho  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you going to finish the guide?
codemann8  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goho wrote:
When are you going to finish the guide?

My apologies, I've had a busy last couple of days with work and medical setbacks (but I'm all good as of now)...but I'm looking to add more later tonight. Hopefully then, after its out there, you all can go ahead and experiment with it and find more things too and I can add them to the guide.

EDIT: I added a ton now, all I'm missing is a tutorial on how to change the audio, which is relatively the same process as the notecharts, if you must know and want to try it out, by all means experiment...ALL, let me know if you need clarification on anything...it is all a bit hard to explain but I did the best I can.

Last edited by codemann8 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: codemann8 PSN Name: codemann8
Goho  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks!
codemann8  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, all this time I forgot important things like links to the programs you need. DSDecmpGH being one that wasn't anywhere on the internet, duh, since I made it...so all links should be set. And I did a little reorganizing, but it still does need more work

Also, I know a lot of this is confusing because the guide is vague and generalized, but it has to be because everybody will most likely have a different version of the NDS file. I may if I find the time, make a tutorial that uses a specific example...key word being "time".

I did add a section to show our TODO list...there is much that need to be done, most of which I know I could do, but I just can't spend a whole bunch of time on it, so to speed things up, help would be nice!!

Also, I'd like to get the GBATemp guys involved to speed things up, but I'd like to have my pre-guide proof-read first...if someone could do that (proof-read in a sense that I want to iron out anything that don't make sense or is incomplete)

opiumtest5  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can ask GBATemp to take a look at this. most people might get excited from this

i just tried things out by the way and... i dont realy get where im supposed to find everything so il look into that...

do you want me to send some charts for testing?
codemann8  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opiumtest5 wrote:
i can ask GBATemp to take a look at this. most people might get excited from this

i just tried things out by the way and... i dont realy get where im supposed to find everything so il look into that...

Well just hold off on GBATemp for now, I have a thread open already. I'm just holding out to revive it.

But if ur asking me to test charts then u haven't understood my guide. Charts won't work until we have a program that recompresses the files. Until then, all we can do is just move files from other games into here.

But yes please do review the guide so when I do summon GBATemp, half the people will understand and stick around to help solve our problems.

zlinkneoXZ15  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap..........never thought customs would be possible for the OT series. Awesome job codemann8, I'm definitely interested in looking into this.

habababa  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: GH/BH custom tracks Reply with quote

codemann8 wrote:
opiumtest5 wrote:

Well just hold off on GBATemp for now, I have a thread open already. I'm just holding out to revive it.

But if ur asking me to test charts then u haven't understood my guide. Charts won't work until we have a program that recompresses the files. Until then, all we can do is just move files from other games into here.

But yes please do review the guide so when I do summon GBATemp, half the people will understand and stick around to help solve our problems.

codemann8
*searches gbatemp...*

ooohhhhhh, you did a great job on elaborating my post about the simple file insertion for custom tracks.(credits?)

Apart from fsindex, there's another table that handles the filenames that i haven't figured out.Noticed why you can't repoint the arm9 to another file with a different name(for files not originally available in the rom)?

For a fully customizable GH and to bypass the 30 song limit, we need an assembly hack.not an easy task..
I recommend using Band Hero EUR version for your hacks for more working space and for emulator compatibility.

And for the OGG, check the header at offset 0x08-0x4F??.I'm not sure.Maybe another custom OGG encoding like their ADPCM.

Guitar Rock Tour and Rock Revolution are the more "hackable" DS games compared to GH.Songs are in *.wav format packed within the SDAT and gems are in an uncompressed *.bin.
codemann8  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GH/BH custom tracks Reply with quote

Whoops, its been awhile since I looked at this stuff, I've been a busy boy.

habababa wrote:
Apart from fsindex, there's another table that handles the filenames that i haven't figured out.Noticed why you can't repoint the arm9 to another file with a different name(for files not originally available in the rom)?
This is most likely not true. My theory is that fsindex also houses a checksum to the filenames in the FNT within each 12 byte sequence...this would explain why simply changing the filename causes issues. I have no clue and don't have any experience with figuring out what checksum algorithm is used for things so I probably won't be able to do this myself. But really, there is no need to change the filenames, no one sees that when they play.

habababa wrote:
For a fully customizable GH and to bypass the 30 song limit, we need an assembly hack.not an easy task..
I recommend using Band Hero EUR version for your hacks for more working space and for emulator compatibility.
Nothing is impossible when it comes to customization, but things are made incredibly tough. Increasing the 30 song limit will most likely be outside of the scope of this project. You're right, it will take a lot of assembly hacking to figure out how to do but really I think most people would be okay with making 2, 3, 4 versions of the game with different customs.

Using the BandHero EUR version is a good suggestion for starting out, eventually it shouldn't matter. If we end up writing a tool that repacks an NDS with customs, all of the QGM/HWAS/OGG file boundaries shouldn't matter as long as they are referenced correctly in the FAT and fsindex

habababa wrote:
And for the OGG, check the header at offset 0x08-0x4F??.I'm not sure.Maybe another custom OGG encoding like their ADPCM.
The OGG part actually seems straight-forward, which is why I haven't looked into it. OGG isn't ADPCM, it is OGG. OGG has a ton of options as far as what info they want to include in the header and a lot of that is undocumented, but pulling an OGG into Audacity is no problem. And reversing the process should be seamless, but the headers should match just to stay consistent, who knows what the game uses from it.

habababa wrote:
Guitar Rock Tour and Rock Revolution are the more "hackable" DS games compared to GH.Songs are in *.wav format packed within the SDAT and gems are in an uncompressed *.bin.
I haven't looked into these games...hmm ...*sigh* I wish I had more time you look at this stuff

opiumtest5  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well... i guess you could say were close but not close enough... have you tried changing the noteset from inside the hex thing?
codemann8  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opiumtest5 wrote:
...well... i guess you could say were close but not close enough... have you tried changing the noteset from inside the hex thing?
yep, that parts easy, that is once its decrypted...basically, the files need to be encrypted before they work...we know the algorithm it uses, we just haven't coded for it yet...and honestly, I won't do it until this project shows more user interest, it will take more effort than you think....overall, thats a minor stopping point and isn't important, we know it is 100% possible to make custom notecharts....it is better to put more effort towards figuring audio out and the fsindex file, because that is where the majority of the gray-area lies

zlinkneoXZ15  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codemann8 wrote:
honestly, I won't do it until this project shows more user interest

I have no knowledge of customs or how they're made or anything, but if you're serious about making customs for the OT games, I promise I'll learn everything that is needed to know in order to play them. So......you got at least one supporter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: