ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
TODAY'S THE DAY!!! GH/RB tournaments at Foxwoods! (9/20)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: TODAY'S THE DAY!!! GH/RB tournaments at Foxwoods! (9/20) Reply with quote

Edit: Here's the thread over on the RB side.

--

FINAL UPDATE!!!!

Hey guys, so I guess I will be heading to Foxwoods shortly where I will set up the TVs and get ready for tomorrow. I know the rhythm games will have their own room away from the fighting games to make it a little easier for us. The GH3 tournament will start at 1pm and the RB2 guitar tournament will start at 4pm, but I will be setting up earlier in the day if you guys want to stop by and practice or just hang out for a while.

Hope to see you there!

Brock

--

UPDATE #3!!!! Alright guys, this thing is FOUR DAYS AWAY!!! Guess it's about time I finally put the rules out there.

This will absolutely be a very laid back tournament, so all I ask is that you play fair and don't be jerks. Also, please try to be there on time for your match. I would also very much recommend bringing your own guitar. We will have a couple available, but we know how used guitars from video game stores can be. ^_^

This will be a double elimination tournament with the lower seed picking the first song. The higher seed will then pick the next song regardless of who wins the first song, followed by the lower seed picking the third song and the higher seed picking the fourth song, if it's needed. If a fifth and final song is needed, I will use a random number generator to pick a song from the list of available tiebreaker songs listed below.

I will personally seed the players that enter the tournament based on either how I've seen them play in person in past events or based on their scores here on SH. The players that I don't know or do not have scores posted here will be seed randomly at the bottom of the list.

All matches will be best 3 out of 5, unless we happen to get far more entries than I'm expecting, in which case only the Winners' Finals, Losers' Finals, and Grand Finals matches will best 3 out of 5 and the other matches will be best 2 out of 3. We have three hours for this tournament, so I can't imagine it taking this long.

Console: Xbox 360
Game: Guitar Hero 3
Mode: Pro Face Off
Difficulty: Expert
Character: Player Preference
Hyperspeed: Allowed, but the hyperspeed level MUST be agreed upon. If both players can't agree, it will be turned off for their match (sorry ).
Other Cheats: Not Allowed

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! Throughout the tournament, each player can is only allowed to pick each song ONCE. Once you pick a song, you cannot choose it for the rest of the tournament. However, if a song you previously picked is chosen by another player against you or is selected as a tiebreaker, it will be allowed. The only other rule regarding song selection is that you cannot play the same song in the same match no matter what. So if your opponent picks Raining Blood against you, whether you win or lose that song, you cannot pick the song against him in this match. Additionally, if Raining Blood is chosen as a tiebreaker song, a new song will be selected. You would, however, be allowed to pick Raining Blood in another match if you would like.

Below are the list of songs available to choose from.

[-]All songs from tiers 5-8, including Helicopter and Monsters.
[-]F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.
[-]Impulse
[-]My Curse
[-]Nothing for Me Here
[-]Take This Life
[-]The Way It Ends
[-]Through the Fire and Flames

Below are the list of ten songs available as a tie breaker song (to be randomly chosen by me, if needed)

[-]The Metal
[-]Pride and Joy
[-]Cult of Personality
[-]Raining Blood
[-]Cliffs of Dover
[-]The Number of the Beast
[-]Monsters
[-]Impulse
[-]Nothing for Me Here
[-]Through the Fire and Flames

That's about all I could think of. Thoughts? Suggestions? See you all there!

Brock

--

UPDATE #2!!!! CLICK HERE for the link for the official GUTS 3 event trailer!!!

Also, tickets are now on sale!! CLICK HERE to purchase your ticket. If you want to compete in the tournaments, you must purchase the $40 weekend venue pass and then it's $10 (or less) for each tournament you want to enter. Or if you just want to go and watch the tournaments and hang out, it's $20 for the weekend or $10 for a single day.

--

UPDATE!!!! It looks like it's a go for BOTH tournaments! Official announcement here! https://www.facebook.com/events/1427297670873472/permalink/1441425196127386/

So here we go guys, this thing is definitely happening. It would be a huge help to me to if you guys can share this on social media and, obviously, also attend! Also be sure to keep checking out the event page on Facebook since they've been making some pretty big announcements recently. Everything from players known around the world that will be going to the event to new tournament announcements (they just announced a Texas Holdem tournament today JUST for people who preregister for GUTS 3!). I think it's about time our community does something fun together that isn't PAX East, so I hope to see you all there!

--

Hey ScoreHero!!!

So as some people here may (or may not) know, GUTS 3 (Game Underground Tournament Spectacular 3) will be taking place at Foxwoods this year from 9/19-9/21. This tournament series is run by the wonderful people at Game Underground in Framingham, MA. GUTS is primarily a huge fighting game tournament that include Street Fighter, various Smash games, MvC, Mortal Kombat, and over a dozen more titles. The last two GUTS events were extremely successful, so them having a third event is basically a no-brainer.

Anyway, I was asked by Jamie, the owner of Game Underground, if there would be any interest in having a Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band 2 guitar tournaments at this year's tournament, and also if I would be interested in organizing and running both tournaments. Although I've known Jamie for years and know the event will be well-run, I was hesitant at first since I don't know of any large-scale GH/RB LAN tournaments that happened within the last couple years. However, when I think about the huge rhythm gaming turnout at PAX East over the last few years, I can see this actually being very successful. Foxwoods is a fantastic venue in a great geographic location and people of ALL AGES will be allowed. Plus there's also a ton of other stuff to do at the event, both gaming and non-gaming related (It's Foxwoods after all ).

I haven't gotten all the details about the event yet from Jamie, but I've already addressed several issues with him that often pop up at GH and RB. Luckily, Game Underground, and previously Game Universe, has already hosted several GH and RB tournaments at their store over the years, not to mention regional tournaments like GameUniCon 2009 and GU Fest 2010, and all of them have been a lot of fun. If you think I'm exaggerating the quality of these tournaments, feel free to ask players like HellAshes, Tobias911, GanonMetroid, and eddaket who have attended these tournaments as well, among others. They know how to put on a good tournament, but I figured I'd confirm a few things with them to pass along to the rest of you guys.

• We will be using standard definition TV's, even if it means me having to bring my own TV and setup to help make it happen.
  • All competitors should bring their own 360 guitars. They will likely have a couple guitars there for use as well, but we all know how reliable these guitars can be when you have stupid kids bashing on them for so long.
  • Although the event itself will span three days, I talked to Jamie about possibly having both tournaments take place during one day, possibly Saturday 9/20. This would make it much easier for people who many not want to stay overnight (but I mean, c'mon, it's Foxwoods! Of course you want to stay at least one night!)
  • I don't know everything about all fees, prizes, etc., but I do remember him saying that the venue fee will be $40 for the entire weekend, and then it's just $10 to sign up for each tournament you'd like. I can't speak to the prizes yet, but I would imagine the prize pool would grow the more entries we get.
  • I don't know exactly how many tournaments you can sign up for, but considering the GH and RB tournaments shouldn't take long compared to the larger fighting game tournaments, I definitely don't think there will be a problem signing up for multiple tournaments in addition to GH/RB.

I've been to dozens of tournaments over the years. Great events, bad events, local events, regional, and even national events, so I know what makes a great LAN event. I even co-ran the vVv Guitar Hero Invitational a couple years back with Paradise, which is still the only fully-commentated online Guitar Hero tournament to date. This tournament was also very successful in terms of the number of viewers, the quality of the competition, and the production value. After putting together a national online tournaments and streaming the best players in the country, I'm confident I can successfully put on a good LAN tournament as well.

In any case, I just wanted to let you all know that this tournament is very likely to happen, but I wanted to gauge the interest in an event like this beforehand and also just let everyone know when it's happening so you can mark your calendars. I know of a pretty large group of people in the New England and Mid-Atlantic area that attend PAX East every year and always has a great time, so I'm hoping that they will like to hang out more than just once this year. By no means will I think this tournament will be at the same scale as many of the other tournaments, but it should definitely be a lot of fun. I don't have any tournament rules in place or anything like that, but it will likely be similar to the potential MLG rules Paradise and I came up with a few years back, but much less strict. That's not to say this won't be a fierce tournament with great competition, but I want to keep this fun for everyone too. Official rules and all that will come later on, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about this event and I will either answer myself or see if I can have Jamie pop in to clarify anything for you guys.

-Brock

P.S. If you're wondering why I'm not posting this in the Tournaments subforum, it's because I can count the number of comments in that forum in the past year on two hands. Figured there'd be much more interest here.

Last edited by Brockbfball1563 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:18 pm; edited 17 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Brock
Graf  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be part of this... but it's about 4 hours away. If the stars align and I have a vehicle capable of making this journey by then, I will attend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
I would love to be part of this... but it's about 4 hours away. If the stars align and I have a vehicle capable of making this journey by then, I will attend

It's a little bit of a drive, but still closer than PAX. Group up with some other NJ SHers and make the trip together!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it would be really fun, but I have a job and school, and it would be impossible for me to make the time to go. If it wasn't like incredibly far away I would go to it though.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
This sounds like it would be really fun, but I have a job and school, and it would be impossible for me to make the time to go. If it wasn't like incredibly far away I would go to it though.

Yeah that would be a bit of a drive for you. It's for this reason really that I wanted to do both tournaments in a single day, so many of the long-time players here are just so much older now and either are working full-time or are in college (or both!).

Any help spreading this around would be great too. Again, very few events take a chance on plastic guitar games anymore, so we need to make the most of the few events we get to be a part of.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be flasks?

Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:
Will there be flasks?

You cheeky bastard.

I can say without a doubt that I'll be bringing my own though. Just ask the other PAX goers about the good times I've had with my flask at gaming events...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest is definitely peaked. 3-4 hours away...

4th ever DWDTG FC on November 27, 2010.
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Honestly spamming adds difficulty
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Methods are way easier
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:
Will there be flasks?

2 years, still waitin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap my username here is still game universe... lets go guys! I would consider a $50 pot bonus.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot to mention that there's a rumor of a DDR tournament also taking place that weekend. There's know of plenty of people great in the New England area, so that would also be a great tournament to check out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go to something like this, but its so far away. Sounds like it would be a blast.

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!!!! It looks like it's a go for BOTH tournaments! Official announcement here! https://www.facebook.com/events/1427297670873472/permalink/1441425196127386/

So here we go guys, this thing is definitely happening. It would be a huge help to me to if you guys can share this on social media and, obviously, also attend! Also be sure to keep checking out the event page on Facebook since they've been making some pretty big announcements recently. Everything from players known around the world that will be going to the event to new tournament announcements (they just announced a Texas Holdem tournament today JUST for people who preregister for GUTS 3!). I think it's about time our community does something fun together that isn't PAX East, so I hope to see you all there!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about being an adult with a full time job is I also get full time vacation days that I can just kinda do whatever with. Even though it's 13 hours away I might just show up to this thing!

Thrice  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be sweet to go to even though I haven't played in years. Too bad I'm on the west coast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: