ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Arthritis and You!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sukergod  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Arthritis and You! Reply with quote

So I wanted to ask if anyone actually has arthritis here on the site. I know most of us are young and so on but I have noticed that over the past month my pointer finger on my left (and fretting) hand has become quite still and cracks a lot. I can't use it near as efficiently as usual and it has become a concern.

I have asked a local retired nurse and she thinks I have early onset arthritis in that one finger. I'm only 28 and figured I have quite a few years before I had to deal with this. It's kind of bullshit and I am finding I can't quite play GH/RB because of the pain. I find it's just with bending my finger's so playing keys doesn't hurt but curling my fingers around a guitar is very uncomfortable.

Any ways, I just wanted to complain (and not put it in the rant thread) and ask what others do to deal with the inevitable shit that is called arthritis (especially being our motto and all)
Pas26  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably going to develop some, not only from my thousands of hours I played the game, but also from an untreated broken right hand. It's good, for now, but I fear that in 20 years it's going to hurt a LOT more than it is (it only hurts if I grip something firmly for a while).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom had rheumatoid arthritis from the age of 16, and she had it so bad that she once broke her knee and kept walking around, thinking it was just arthritis pain.
Various joint pains have been bothering me since the age of about 15 (I'm 22 now), but it's nowhere near as bad as anyone's who has been diagnosed with arthritis. I think I may have inherited just a little bit of it, if that's possible. My knees and back almost always hurt, but rarely very badly. Usually it's more of an annoyance and distraction than anything else, particularly when it's about to rain.

In your case you may as well try laying off the rhythm games for a couple weeks; there are temporary joint issues that could go away if it's due to overuse. If you've actually played so much that you're starting to develop arthritis from it then well... that's pretty impressive.
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom has had a similar situation with both of her hands. Hers was carpal tunnel though, not arthritis.

She got pregnant in high-school and had to drop out, so she worked in a factory for 20+ years since to support (mainly my sister, I didn't come in the picture until way later). She was a packer in a potato chip factory for quite a long time, at least 10 years in that position, she never really complained much about her hands that much that I knew about, but eventually she started missing more and more work and then she was put on unemployment for about 2 years.

Anyways, She had carpal tunnel syndrome surgery about 3 years ago on both hands, and neither have regained strength, and she is pretty much limited nothing to a gallon of milk, and even that she usually refuses to attempt to lift. Obviously your situation is very different than this, and arthritis and different than carpal tunnel, but that could also be a possibility. I know her hands are numb a lot according to what she says. :s Not sure if this could possibly be a warning sign of that, since I'm not a doctor, but it may be something worth doing some research in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my parents suffer with arthritis, as did all of my grandparents, so I'm resigned to the fact that I'll get it eventually. Hopefully not for a while though. As it is, a lot of my joints (but particularly my knees) make a creaking or grinding noise along with the regular cracks and crunches, so perhaps that's not a great sign. Sometimes my knees creak loud enough that I can hear it from a standing position, which is reasonably impressive when you consider the distance between knee and ear that comes from being 6'3".

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Usually it's more of an annoyance and distraction than anything else, particularly when it's about to rain.

Is that a real thing? I mean I always heard about people saying their joints warned them when rain was coming and whatnot, but I thought that was just something from movies and the like. What would even cause that correlation?
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure difference, maybe? I get sharp acute pain behind my left ear with low air pressure onset, and when I rest my finger behind my ear I can feel my pulse much more strongly under those conditions. I'm not particularly worried, but it does show that pressure can have an effect. I guess the pressure affects your blood vessels and the result is an effect on your bone... or... something. I can't think of anything else, but I've heard of this too Maybe vascular problems tend to come along with arthritis?

I don't think arthritis runs in my family - my maternal grandmother has it, as does my maternal stepfather, but they were manual labourers all their life so I'm willing to ascribe that to environmental factors - but what with GH/RB, and drumming, and what I foresee to be a career involving lots of typing, I'd be surprised if I didn't get some form of arthritis or RSI.

(and Vampyromaniac; yes, it is possible to inherit a milder form of arthritis than either of your parents have, so that might be what you have)
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my mother and grandmother both have/had it so I expected to get it sometime down the road but not exactly soon. Once I finish up this school year I will go to my family doctor and see what's up.

Vampyromaniac wrote:
If you've actually played so much that you're starting to develop arthritis from it then well... that's pretty impressive.

I don't think i have played that much. I have since June of 06 (Wow, 6 whole years), but I'm sure you guys play a whole bunch more then I do, and more challenging stuff that gets your hands moving. That would be impressive though

Yewb wrote:
Maybe vascular problems tend to come along with arthritis

Thats something to look into at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: