ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Exercise videos, anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Exercise videos, anyone? Reply with quote

Anyone who frequents GC these days has probably seen me posting (excessively) about bodyweight exercises. I've been thinking about making a tutorial video about this, but I haven't decided what exactly to make the video about. I could do a progressive tutorial, showing demonstrations of beginner to advanced variations of one exercise while providing tips and insights to help progress, or I could do a sample workout with 3 or 4 different exercises and just do quick demonstrations of one or two variations of each.

So, does anyone have any suggestions or requests?

EDIT: i didn't really want to make a new thread for this, so i'll just post it here. I GOT MY FIRST MUSCLE UPS TODAY!!! oddly enough i can't do fast muscle ups, only slow muscle ups...which is technically harder. with the fast variety you pull up with such force that you have momentum to help you fly through the transition. with the slow muscle up you're using pure strength to get through the transition. also i am finding them more manageable on rings than on a bar, whereas it seems most people find them easier on a bar.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647

Last edited by f4phantom2500 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Dodongo  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, it's funny, I was watching this guy do one armed pull ups on yt the other day, and I saw your name in the comments! I don't know why, but it just felt like the chances of seeing a crossover on a non GH/RB related vid are slim to none.

In any case, I'd watch them, especially a bodyweight workout - I'm going away for a while in July and won't have access to a gym, so I'd like to give these a go - not entirely sure on which exercises together would constitute a workout though, so an insight on what you do would be useful.

R.I.P. Sikth. We Love You.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Gwylum Wii Friend Code: 429613877062
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodongo wrote:
Haha, it's funny, I was watching this guy do one armed pull ups on yt the other day, and I saw your name in the comments! I don't know why, but it just felt like the chances of seeing a crossover on a non GH/RB related vid are slim to none.

In any case, I'd watch them, especially a bodyweight workout - I'm going away for a while in July and won't have access to a gym, so I'd like to give these a go - not entirely sure on which exercises together would constitute a workout though, so an insight on what you do would be useful.

Lol yeah I've watched a lot of vids on youtube of advanced bodyweight exercises.

Sounds good man! The best part of these exercises is that, once you can do the more difficult variations, simply being able to do a few reps will keep you very strong by necessity.

Each of my workouts consists of anywhere from 3-5 exercises (usually 4) and I do 3-5 sets (usually 4) of 6-12 reps, all depending on how hard the exercises are. Cumulatively, the workout will cover your upper body pushing muscles, upper body pulling muscles, core muscles, and leg muscles. I try to do a workout like this every other day.

Here's the workout I'm planning to do tomorrow:

push: handstand push ups
pull: 1 arm chin up negatives
core: advanced one arm plank (this is a new one i came up with but haven't used in a workout yet. it's harder than the advanced side plank i described in another thread)
leg: weighted pistol squats

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd watch 'em.

Tried diamond pushups the other day but was finding them kind of hard on my shoulders. I tried aligning my hands with the center of my chest like a video I saw said, but it was still hard finding a comfortable way to lower myself.

I'm up past 20 perfect pushups now so I'm likely to only get muscle endurance if I keep doing those. I tried doing the pushups with my feet against the wall but it's a challenge just to hold myself up let alone do any pushups... does it make sense to work on my hold time for that before doing any pushups?

Not really a big issue because I can focus more on pullups and chinups for the next little bit.

EDIT: Just did my first pike pushups. Great exercise. I put my legs as far forward as I could on the last set and they were really tough that way. I have to get good at these if I'm going to someday do a handstand pushup.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I'd watch 'em.

Tried diamond pushups the other day but was finding them kind of hard on my shoulders. I tried aligning my hands with the center of my chest like a video I saw said, but it was still hard finding a comfortable way to lower myself.

I'm up past 20 perfect pushups now so I'm likely to only get muscle endurance if I keep doing those. I tried doing the pushups with my feet against the wall but it's a challenge just to hold myself up let alone do any pushups... does it make sense to work on my hold time for that before doing any pushups?

Not really a big issue because I can focus more on pullups and chinups for the next little bit.

EDIT: Just did my first pike pushups. Great exercise. I put my legs as far forward as I could on the last set and they were really tough that way. I have to get good at these if I'm going to someday do a handstand pushup.

for diamond push ups, i align my hands differently than what I've seen. instead of touching your index fingers, fold your index fingers over at the middle joint and touch your middle fingers together instead. this puts your arms at an angle that more naturally keeps your elbows in line and thus puts less torque on the shoulders.

for the feet against the wall push ups, haha yeah they're just that hard. instead of practicing 'hang time' with this id suggest doing hip push ups. much easier to maintain acceptable form and still quite challenging. hands can be on fists or palms with fingers facing feet (thumbs pointing directly left [left hand] and right [right hand]).

pike push ups are great. are you doing them with your feet on the floor? try them while having your feet resting on an elevated platform such that your legs are parallel to the ground and your torso is as close to vertical while inverted, forming an upside down L. a countertop or some type of hip level railing or beam, such as on a fence, works well for me. you should be fairly comfortable doing about 10 of these before you move on to hanstand push ups. at least that was my experience. also may want to do handstand push up negatives.

and yea, pull ups are always great to work on! there are always many areas to improve. i would highly suggest working on pistol squats as they will give you all the leg power you need. for example, doing a pistol squat with a 20 pound weight requires similar levels of strength as a barbell squat of you bodyweight plus 40 pounds (since all resistance is doubled since its only 1 leg). so if u weigh, say 160, a 20pound pistol squat is like a 200 pound barbell squat but requires more flexibility balance and possibly also coordination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: