Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bucket Lists
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Bucket Lists Reply with quote

In his thread about travelling to the Carolinas, Scorehero user youhas mentioned a very unique life goal: visit all of the counties in the US. It got me wondering what some other users' life goals or bucket lists might look like. I'll share mine, a couple of which I have already done.

1. Run a marathon (completed 10/09/10)
2. Bowl a perfect game
3. Hit a hole in one
4. Go skydiving (completed 6/20/09)
5. Go hang gliding (completed 7/2/11))
6. Go BASE jumping
7. Go bungee jumping
8. Experience ZERO-G
9. Learn guitar and perform in a band
10. Star in a major motion picture
11. Be a contestant on Jeopardy!
12. See my favorite NY teams in their respective championship games in person (Yanks in WS, Knicks in NBAC, Rangers in SCF, Giants in SB) (25% complete, Giants in SB)
13. See Wrestlemania in person (completed 4/4/11)
14. Visit the highest points of all 50 states (54% complete)
15. Break a world record (99% complete, pending verification)

My favorite one is Number 14. It started out as "Go on a Lord-of-the-Rings like journey,' but pretty much every place on Earth has been explored, and I doubt I'll become an astronaut and explore space. So, I figured I would do something that few people have ever done. Out of the billions of people that have roamed the planet, only about 200 have ever accomplished this feat, and I currently have 25 states under my belt. Obviously, some like Rhode Island and Delaware are really easy, while Alaska is gonna be a bitch.

I think a good bucket list has some easy goals, some really difficult ones, and goals that are doable, but will require a lot of time/work. They should have some special meaning to you. That's sort of why I don't have any international destinations on my list, because there aren't any that have special meaning to me. It'd be nice to see the Eiffel Tower and the Leaning Tower, but it's not THAT important to me.

Scorehero, what does your bucket list look like?

Last edited by skinnywhitecomic on Fri May 25, 2012 3:02 am; edited 4 times in total
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol good luck with mckinley
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:

^

Also your list is full of awesome things but some of them seem very improbable, like bowling a perfect game, hitting a hole in one, and starring in a major motion picture. Those are all kind of based on luck, whereas something like climbing that mountain in Alaska would be incredibly hard but without luck being involved as much.

You HAVE to tell me how awesome hang-gliding is, it seems amazing. Also, if you ever get to do the zero-G thing, that'd be amazing too. There's a type of plane you can get on that'll let you experience it briefly, but I forgot how much that costs. Stephen Hawking did that once
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Do something to make my father proud of me before he passes away.
2. Find a way to live with my disorders.
3. Solve the Riemann Hypothesis.

Number 1 is a simple matter of time and effort, number 2 will require a lot of willpower, and number 3 plain isn't gonna happen, but I threw it in there for good measure.
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

^

Also your list is full of awesome things but some of them seem very improbable, like bowling a perfect game, hitting a hole in one, and starring in a major motion picture. Those are all kind of based on luck, whereas something like climbing that mountain in Alaska would be incredibly hard but without luck being involved as much.

To be honest I think seeing the Knicks in an NBA championship in the next century is gonna require more luck than anything else on that list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtresso wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:
Southparkhero wrote:

^

To be honest I think seeing the Knicks in an NBA championship in the next century is gonna require more luck than anything else on that list.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

...actually I missed that one. But to be honest, I do have a much higher chance of seeing the Knicks win a championship than of bowling a perfect game
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing i want to do is see jeff mangum

oh wait i am
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:

I really like this, its a great goal. Open ended and very meaningful. I still miss my dad, and a lot of the things on my list I'm doing for him.

And really, my goals are all something I can do if I work hard enough except for seeing my teams in the championship series. But hey, if they make it, I'll do whatever it takes to get tickets. I figure they can all make it at least ONCE in the next 50-75. I'm just glad I don't live in Cleveland...

OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one serious one so far (I'm 16 years old): change a child's life as an English teacher.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this list over a year ago:

- Visit all 50 States (35 and counting....)
- Sky Dive
- Go to Vegas
- Go to one Saints game (ticket prices are absolutely ridiculous)
- Graduate and have a career
- Buy a BRAND NEW car
- Visit Canada and Mexico
- Re-visit Italy
- Hunt and kill a lion
- Ride a bull
- Beat Super Mario Bros 1 without dying
- Meet Jennifer Aniston
- Marry Jennifer Aniston
- See Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon
- Fart in Jeremy Doughty's new home
- Go to a Cardinal's World Series game at Home
- Buy a house
- See the Great Wall of China
- Smuggle something
- See John Vincent wear a woman's thong one more time for giggles
- Deep Sea Diving
- Visit Stonehenge
- Find a dinosaur
- Do a dine and dash
- Help my dad
- Get revenge on D & W's Don Gerkin's wife
- Grow a full blown beard
- If Jennifer Aniston doesn't work out, maybe get married. Not sure on this one. I have no interest in marriage really.

Of course, some are a little funny/crazy but most are obtainable. I'm sure there's more I'd like to add. Right now I'm actually working on the "grow a full blown beard". Not really working out though. I think it's grown all it can grow. lol
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket Lists Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
Scorehero user younhas

You has to spell "youhas" correctly! (Or not. Not like you're doing an appreciably worse job than Ellis Island. I think it's "juhasz" in the native Hungarian....)

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
3. Hit a hole in one

I have totally done this! June 20, 1993, on Hole 5 the Aptos Par 3 in Aptos, CA. I know this because right when I got home, I fashioned a sad-looking mount for the ball made of corrugated cardboard, packing tape, and a computer printout - the same mount that lives in my den today ~18 years later. I don't care if it was the shortest hole on the course so my "drive" was a glorified chip shot, or if the owners of said course eventually decided to retire and let the acreage revert back to overgrown nothingness; I still did it, and no one can take that away from me. (Probably not the most technically impressive shot I ever made - I holed out from light rough 135 yards out for an eagle once - but one I won't soon forget.)

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
14. Visit the highest points of all 50 states (50% complete)

Ha - that's pretty awesome right there! Lord knows various parts of my body would start shearing off if I tried any sort of substantive mountain trekking. Halfway done is damn fine headway, too. Out of idle curiosity: what's your favorite / most epic / "feather in your cap" / whatever state high point(s) you've managed to bag thus far?

Eastwinn wrote:

Heh - I always have weird bittersweet reactions to seeing things like these. My dad has borderline personality disorder; he was something of a tyrant to grow up with, and is no longer on speaking terms with me or my younger sister. I've no doubt that he's proud of me, but I know he's not terribly happy with me - and the problem is all on his side of the divide, where there is nothing I can do to change it. Sigh....

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:
one thing i want to do is see jeff mangum

oh wait i am

SAME HERE BRO
life = complete.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make money, make a band, make amazing music, get rich and famous and die at the peak of my career like a true rockstar
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucket Lists Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
skinnywhitecomic wrote:
Scorehero user younhas

You has to spell "youhas" correctly! (Or not. Not like you're doing an appreciably worse job than Ellis Island. I think it's "juhasz" in the native Hungarian....)

Fixed. I'm actually 1/4 Hungarian, so perhaps subconsciencously I wanted to spell it wrong.

youhas wrote:
Out of idle curiosity: what's your favorite / most epic / "feather in your cap" / whatever state high point(s) you've managed to bag thus far?

Two stick out in my mind. The most incredible so far was New Mexico, Wheeler Peak. It's a 13,000+ ft. mountain, and it definitely tested me, but it was an absolutely beautiful view from the top. I was so exhausted that I couldn't make it up Mt. Elbert (highest in CO, 2nd highest in lower 48 states) the next day (didn't help that I got lost either). I'm planning a trip back to Colorado this summer, so maybe that one will top NM. That will in turn get replaced by something more difficult, but for now, New Mexico is the hardest one I've done.

My favorite might be CT, Mount Frissell, my home state. My dad and I did it in 2008, and it was much harder than we thought. I put up a good sweat, and my dad definitely struggled, but we both made it. A year later, he passed away quite suddenly. My coworkers downloaded a picture from that trip I posted on Facebook and framed it, and it was sitting on my desk when I came back a week later. I cried my eyes out when I saw it, and just now, I starting to tear up thinking back to that moment. That picture of my dad and I is sitting next to my TV, and I love it.

As I said, a lot of the things on my list I'm doing for my dad. He had a very sedentary lifestyle, did not exercise a lot (if at all) and had a very poor diet, and this contributed greatly to his death. So, I'm trying to live life on my terms, and be more proactive with my health and lifestyle. Thus, the bucket list. The marathon was something I had talked about for years but never got around to doing. So when he died, I finally said, "That's it. I'm doing it now." As cheesy as it sounds, life is very short, and we have a limited amount of time on this plane of existence. Might as well make the most it.

thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My actual answer is one single item and it's horribly depressing, so my list for the purpose of this topic is as follows:

Swim with dolphins
Fly in a hot air balloon
Finally get all of these goddamn CDs imported to iTunes
Bungee jump off a Swedish lesbian

A-yup.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: