ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Music Festivals (Bonnaroo/Lollapalooza/Austin City Limits/Coachella)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yeah, judging by a post in a recent thread looks like Bonnaroo turned out pretty well. Anyone here end up going? Any reviews?

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
So, yeah, judging by a post in a recent thread looks like Bonnaroo turned out pretty well. Anyone here end up going? Any reviews?

I presume you mean my post? Well, I here's my review:

As far as my favorite Bonnaroo acts, it's VERY tough to even pick a top 5 or 10. Nearly every artist was stellar in some way. I'll give a brief summary of each:

Band of Skulls: Only knew "I Know I Am," but they sounded good, and the crowd loved them

Childish Gambino: Caught him on accident, but he was very, very good. Inspired to me check out artists at the show I didn't know

The Sword: Crowd loved them, very good energy, I stayed from the beginning until they played "Freya"

Opeth: As I said in another thread, I didn't stay for much, but what I saw was decent. Everyone I talked to thought they kicked ass though.

Florence + the Machine: Sounded good from what I could hear, but was so packed I could barely see. I took a brief nap on the grass during most of the set. But seriously, there were so many people that she truly should have been a main stage act.

My Morning Jacket: They had the most epic intro of every band, and they sounded awesome, but only got to stay for a short amount of time, so I could catch Primus. From what I heard from others, this was one of the best shows at all of 'Roo.

Primus: Sounded great, made me more a fan. First band I stayed for the entire set of. I was pissed they didn't play "John the Fisherman" though.

Arcade Fire: I only got to stay for the first 5 or 6 songs, but I REALLY wish I would have stayed (biggest regret of the show). What I saw was incredible, and their stage setup was good. This won't be the last time I see them.

Lil Wayne: I left AF early so I could get a good spot for this, and while he was solid, it wasn't worth missing AF for. Still was very enjoyable though, although he's not the best performer.

G. Love (acoustic set): Never heard of him before this, but he had a huge crowd, and his set was cool. I'll probably check out more from him and his stuff with Special Sauce.

Portugal. The Man: They were pretty good, but not particularly memorable. This is coming from someone who really liked The Satanic Satanist upon my very first listen. Still, I didn't stay too long, so I would my opinion with a grain of salt.

Wiz Khalifa: As someone who can claim he knew Wiz before he blew up with "Black and Yellow," I thought his performance was AWESOME. Keep two things in mind: A) he happened to play a ton of songs that I knew, and B) I don't care if you judge me, but considering that Wiz is very obviously a weed rapper, I had to prepare accordingly, if you catch my drift.

Mumford and Sons: Had a HUGE crowd, and really good energy. Wish I could have stayed for their whole set, although it conflicted with Wiz.

The Black Keys: Second time seeing them, and they were just as good as before. Probably not one of my favorites, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Buffalo Springfield: Only stayed for their last two songs ("For What It's Worth" and Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World). This was the biggest gig of their history, so being there for it was cool. They sounded very from what I heard though.

Eminem: If I had to pick, probably my favorite performance. The energy was amazing, and the song selection was nearly spot-on. My main gripes would be that he didn't play every single song in full (like "Stan" and "My Name Is," for example), and that I was REALLY far away, but neither really detracted too much from the experience. I also found it odd that he didn't do "Mockingbird." The whole thing ended with "Lose Yourself" and fireworks though, so it was an epic end to an epic set!

Scissor Sisters: Didn't on them too much, but what I paid attention to was pretty sweet, and they seemed to have a lot of crowd interaction. I heard from others that this set was really good.

Girl Talk: I was tired and hungry as shit by this point (he started at 2:30), so I only stayed for the first 10 minutes. I heard nothing but amazing things from others, which I can imagine. I saw him about a month before when he came through my town on his tour though, and again, it was great.

The String Cheese Incident: Never had heard of them, but what I saw and heard from others was nothing short of incredible, they played for over 2 and a half hours, and throughout the set they released a 50-foot, inflatable T-Rex, 50 inflatable white balls, and more! I only watched about 30 minutes of them, but they also did a cool cover of "Careless Whisper."

Galactic: Never heard them before, but they sounded very groovy and tight. They also brought out (apparently) the lead singer of Living Colour for many songs.

Iron and Wine: Don't know much of their (or his, rather) stuff, but what I heard sounded good

Cold War Kids: I only stopped by in hopes of hearing them do "Hang Me Up to Dry," and, I kid you not, I came to the stage during the last 30 seconds of one song, and they played that RIGHT after. Not only did that make me happy, but the sound quality was VERY good. They did this song so well that it actually made me want to check out more of their stuff.

Robert Plant and Band of Joy: : Only stayed for a couple songs because I wanted a good spot for The Strokes. I got up close in the pit for this, and all I wanted was to see him do a Led Zeppelin song (for obvious reasons). To my pleasant surprise, they not only opened up with "Black Dog" (which happens to be my favorite Zeppelin song), but they did a very cool folk/blues version of it, so I left very pleased.

The Strokes: Other than starting 10 minutes late and leaving while they still had 15 minutes left, their set was decent. They played a lot of good songs, although the energy wasn't all the way though. But when you consider they didn't play their full set, and what they play was only decent, the show was underwhelming overall.

Widespread Panic: Never heard them before, but they sounded awesome, and the crowd was very into them.

Actually, here's how I'll rank the bands. I'm going to list which bands met, exceed, and fell below my expectations:

Met My Expectations:
Band of Skulls (only came for one song, and they did it fine)
Lil Wayne (good song choice, and he's just awesome)
Mumford and Sons (they had the amount of energy I expected)
The Black Keys (they were about as good as last time I saw them, which was sweet)
Buffalo Springfield (they played the songs I knew well)
Scissor Sisters (they sounded good from what I heard, although it wasn't much)
Girl Talk (sounded as great as when I last saw him, but I needed to leave)
Iron and Wine (didn't pay much attention, but what I heard sounded good)

Exceeded My Expectations:
Childish Gambino (I couldn't help but be hooked instantly)
The Sword (I enjoyed their fanbase and their stage presence was great)
My Morning Jacket (epic concert intro, wished I would have stayed longer)
Arcade Fire (my biggest regret of the show was missing most of them, they were stunning)
G. Love (never had heard of him, but he made me a fan)
Wiz Khalifa (one of my favorites without a doubt, this set was insanely awesome)
Eminem (an incredible show, he headlined for a reason)
The String Cheese Incident (they played a crazy long set, and had bonus props unlike any band I had EVER seen)
Galactic (these guys really rocked and were great performers, and I would say I'm a fan now)
Cold War Kids (they did "Hang Me Up to Dry" REALLY well, and their crowd was amazing)
Robert Plant and Band of Joy (He was WAY better than I could have possibly expected)
Widespread Panic (sweet jam band, they kept me entertained the whole time)

Fell Below My Expectations:
Opeth (although most in attendance would disagree)
Florence + the Machine (not her fault though, only because there were too many people)
Primus (would have been under Exceeded, but I was too pissed they didn't play "John the Fisherman")
Portugal. The Man (didn't stay too long, only sounded decent)
The Strokes (for starting late, finishing early, and performing only adequately)
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hiddenzombie013]
Opeth: As I said in another thread, I didn't stay for much, but what I saw was decent. Everyone I talked to thought they kicked ass though.

Arcade Fire: I only got to stay for the first 5 or 6 songs, but I REALLY wish I would have stayed (biggest regret of the show). What I saw was incredible, and their stage setup was good. This won't be the last time I see them.

Lil Wayne: I left AF early so I could get a good spot for this, and while he was solid, it wasn't worth missing AF for. Still was very enjoyable though, although he's not the best performer.

[/quote]

I think you're the first person I've met who's a fan of all three of those haha.

EDIT: the quote function doesn't seem to like me today
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's good to hear that bands on my to-see list at ACL turned out well for Bonnaroo Now I'm very excited. Anything cool like this happen? Video

And you should definitely check out more Cold War Kids. It's weird because it meets some of the usual requirements for "bands I don't like" and yet I still really like them. I love when that happens!

Slightly related, but would you say The Sword + Kyuss is worth $20 in October? They're coming back to town and I'll probably go.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strongly considering going to the last day of Lollapalooza now. Portugal. The Man, Flogging Molly, Explosions in the Sky and Arctic Monkeys are very convincing... The only problem is that Deadmau5 and Foo Fighters are playing at the same time...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Slightly related, but would you say The Sword + Kyuss is worth $20 in October? They're coming back to town and I'll probably go.

YES. I know Homme's not in this lineup but it should totally be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarageMetal468 wrote:
I'm strongly considering going to the last day of Lollapalooza now. Portugal. The Man, Flogging Molly, Explosions in the Sky and Arctic Monkeys are very convincing... The only problem is that Deadmau5 and Foo Fighters are playing at the same time...

Honestly, those are all great reasons to go, so you should do it for sure. As for the Deadmau5/Foo conflict? Check each of their tour dates, to see if you'll have another shot at seeing either one of them again.

For example, if I were in your shoes, I'd keep in mind that Foo Fighters have announced many, many dates across the country, and they have more coming next week. Mine is one of the only major markets they haven't announced anything yet, so I imagine some Florida stops will be among their dates. Meanwhile, Deadmau5 has announced all of the dates on his tour, and since he's not coming to Florida (closest is to Georgia), Lollapalooza would be my only chance to see him.

Plus, Lolla is actually the very first show where he'll show off his new stage design.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
vosnos  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my ticket for Coachella a couple weeks back. If the lineup is good enough I'll try to fly out there but for now I'm just glad I have a ticket.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music forum could always use some new stuff to talk about.

Check out the Coachella lineup: http://www.coachella.com/

Anyone going? Any other music festivals people are going to?

1KJ08mq.jpg
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I have decided to make going to the Rockstar Mayhem Festival an annual thing in our relationship. We've gone to the last two, gonna go again this year.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
wallflower  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try your best to rationalize that line-up.
I wasn't aware that 3 Doors Down and Papa Roach still existed, but here they are playing with Absu, Evoken, and Hooded Menace.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought tickets to Austin City Limits (Weekend 2) a couple of weeks ago and have been getting excited about the lineup. I'm curious if ScoreHero recommends any bands on this lineup that must not be missed.

(Click to see the rest)

So far our must-see list between me and my husband looks like this:
Muse
Kings of Leon (Don't judge, I like them...)
Phoenix
Vampire Weekend
Queens of the Stone Age
Arctic Monkeys
Fun.
Franz Ferdinand
Kaskade
Portugal. The Man
Silversun Pickups
Jimmy Eat World

Since the mid-tier is so awesome I fully expect to have a few maddening schedule conflicts. But who else should I add to my list to check out? I'm pretty open minded about music, and ACL is known for having a good amount of variety.

Anyone else going to any festivals this year? There's also Mayhem in August, but that lineup doesn't seem like my style of music typically. http://rockstarmayhemfest.com/bands

1KJ08mq.jpg
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuggie Otis and Neko Case
k3v227  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at Tame Impala for sure, I'm a big fan.

Here's one of my favorite songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H570ifQfpDk

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty big festival in The Netherlands, which I will be attending the entirety of the three days. Pretty excited, since it will be my first festival.

Stuff I really want to see:

Green Day
The Killers
Thirty Seconds To Mars
Phoenix
C2C
Alt-J
Jimmy Eat World
Handsome Poets
Passenger
Will And The People
Miles Kane
La Pegatina
Kensington
Puggy

Not really rock/metal-oriented like some other festivals in this thread, but this line-up has surprised me in a very good way. Never even heard of La Pegatina, Puggy and Alt-J before, but I absolutely love their music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: