SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The NFL Thread- Super Bowl XLVII: The Harbowl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianBAM19 wrote:
Of course I wouldn't miss out on this! ;) I have a friend who might also be interested, so I'll tell them about it next time I see them.

There's cautious optimism here in Texas. If the Cowboys could perform so well under Garrett and minus Romo last year, there's a lot of reason for optimism. Then again, there seemed to be reason for optimism each of the past few years, and look at how they all got squashed. The problem is that if the salary cap currently in place stands, the Cowboys are almost $18 million over. Marion Barber's surely gone, and other players possibly leaving are Terrance Newman, Keith Brooking, Bradie James, amongst others. If only we could cut Roy Williams and his $13 million contract...too bad it would hit us with an equally big cap penalty. We'll be lucky to sign Michael Huff like we want, much less anyone else.

I haven't heard much from the Falcons front since they drafted Julio Jones...I just think their defense is reason for concern, especially after how badly Rodgers torched the secondary last year.

As a Raiders fan...please. Take Huff . I'd much rather see Mike Mitchell than Huff, and that'd help us get Zach Miller locked up and save us some money towards Asomugha.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianBAM19 wrote:
Of course I wouldn't miss out on this! ;) I have a friend who might also be interested, so I'll tell them about it next time I see them.

There's cautious optimism here in Texas. If the Cowboys could perform so well under Garrett and minus Romo last year, there's a lot of reason for optimism. Then again, there seemed to be reason for optimism each of the past few years, and look at how they all got squashed. The problem is that if the salary cap currently in place stands, the Cowboys are almost $18 million over. Marion Barber's surely gone, and other players possibly leaving are Terrance Newman, Keith Brooking, Bradie James, amongst others. If only we could cut Roy Williams and his $13 million contract...too bad it would hit us with an equally big cap penalty. We'll be lucky to sign Michael Huff like we want, much less anyone else.

I haven't heard much from the Falcons front since they drafted Julio Jones...I just think their defense is reason for concern, especially after how badly Rodgers torched the secondary last year.

Good to hear. I was getting a little worried you weren't going to show up to defend your crown ;-) I'd gladly trade the crazy 10-game winning streak my team had last year for the big ol' trophy you ended up with.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So aside from the new VJ/Mankins stuff, it looks like the lockout is just about over. When asked for a comment on how close they were, Jerry Jones had this to say:

Jerry Jones wrote:
We're down to circumcising mosquitoes.

If the preseason is really set to start soon, this could be Christmas Eve for football fans. Not too much longer!

...so yeah. I didn't really have much to add here. I just lol'd hard at that quote so I figured I'd have an excuse to share it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the most awesome quote I've ever heard from an NFL owner. Fan-fucking-tastic. My productivity is about to happily nosedive.

~Kyle~

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hylian, even if he is a Longhorn, I don't want Huff either. He's just Dallas's main target. I don't agree with it, but hey. Also when I heard that quote a couple of days ago, I cracked up. XD

Also, the deal with Jackson/Mankins isn't just about those two. Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were looking to avoid franchise tags as well, but this shouldn't be so big of a deal that it stalls the CBA's ratification. Though it sure pissed off popular lockout commentator Chris Kluwe, lol.

Chris Kluwe wrote:
"Sigh, and once again greed is the operative byword. 'Congrats Brees, Manning, Mankins, and Jackson for being 'that guy'. #douchebags," he wrote.

As for non-lockout related news, there's quite a few rumblings that Kevin Kolb will go to Arizona in exchange for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. It makes sense on both ends, but it'd be a major steal for the Eagles.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
DragoonKain  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join fantasy football . I assume Brian already gave you my info earlier today though!

53964.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: DragoonKain07
fUNC  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kluwe is right. Those five are looking to either avoid the franchise tag for a second time or get paid $10 million as the average of the top five in their positions two years ago- the old rule of the tag. If they truly are holding this whole thing up for the entire league rather than dealing with it in house, #douchebags is as accurate of a hash tag as you can get.

~Kyle~

BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not holding up the deal. Those guys do want the franchise tag rule changed, but they're not going to hold up the deal just for that(especially not Brees and Manning, seeing as they're sort of the head of the players in this). Plus, an agreement on that couldn't be settled, so the franchise tag problem is a victory for the owners. That being said, the owners also just approved the CBA. If the players approve as well, the lockout's over.

KoE wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
fUNC  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, beat me to it. It's official. The players are supposed to meet soon, and all indications seem to be that they'll approve it as well.

By the way, I found it hilarious that the only abstaining vote in the 31-0 owner's decision was a zombie-

~Kyle~

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's creating the league? Will it be on Yahoo or ESPN?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
So who's creating the league? Will it be on Yahoo or ESPN?

I'm running it on Yahoo! again.

Edit: This explains a lot. Chris Kluwe with a perfect breakdown again-

ChrisWarcraft wrote:
You know what else is douchebaggy? Changing the terms of a deal moments before presenting it to someone else. #cantwealljustgrowup

I should've been suspicious when Jerry Richardson (owner of the Panthers and noted crazy old man) and Ralph Wilson (Bills; angry and cheap to boot) voted in favor of it. It remains to be seen if the players just say screw it and vote for it anyway, but this might be far from over. The fact that what the players got was a Cliff's Notes version of the CBA makes the owners look like used car salesmen.

Here's what the players were sent (and again, this doesn't cover any of what was supposedly added in at the last second):

Quote:
ECONOMICS:

— Salary cap plus benefits of $142.4 million per club in 2011 ($120.375 million for salary and bonus) and at least that amount in 2012 and 2013.

— Beginning in 2012, salary cap to be set based on a combined share of “all revenue,” a new model differentiated by revenue source with no expense reductions. Players will receive 55 percent of national media revenue, 45 percent of NFL Ventures revenue and 40 percent of local club revenue.

— Also beginning in 2012, annual “true up” to reflect revenue increases or decreases versus projections.

— Clubs receive credit for actual stadium investment and up to 1.5 percent of revenue each year.

— Player share must average at least 47 percent for the 10-year term of the agreement.

— Leaguewide commitment to cash spending of 99 percent of the cap in 2011 and 2012.

— For the 2013-2016 seasons, and again for the 2017-2020 seasons, the clubs collectively will commit to cash spending of at least 95 percent of the cap.

— Each club will be committed to cash spending of 89 percent of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.

— Increases to minimum salaries of 10 percent in Year 1 with continuing increases each year of the agreement.

PLAYER AND HEALTH SAFETY:

— Reducing the offseason program by five weeks, reducing organized team activities from 14 to 10;

— Limiting on-field practice time and contact;

— Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season;

— Increasing number of days off for players.

— Opportunity for current players to remain in the player medical plan for life.

— An enhanced injury protection benefit of up to $1 million of a player’s salary for the contract year after his injury and up to $500,000 in the second year after his injury.

— No change to the 16-game regular-season/4-game preseason format until at least 2013; any subsequent increase in the number of regular-season games must be made by agreement with the NFL Players Association.

— $50 million per year joint fund for medical research, healthcare programs and NFL Charities, including NFLPA-related charities.

RETIRED PLAYER BENEFITS:

— Over the next 10 years, there will be additional funding for retiree benefits of between $900 million and $1 billion. The largest single amount, $620 million, will be used for a new “Legacy Fund,” which will be devoted to increasing pensions for pre-1993 retirees.

— Other improvements will be made to post-career medical options, the disability plan, the 88 Plan, career transition and degree completion programs, and the Player Care Plan.

DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY SYSTEM:

— An annual draft of seven rounds, plus compensatory picks for teams which lose free agents.

— Unrestricted free agency for players after four accrued seasons; restricted free agency for players with three accrued seasons.

— Free agency exceptions for franchise and transition players.

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION SYSTEM:

— All drafted players sign four-year contracts.

— Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts.

— Maximum total compensation per draft class.

— Limited contract terms.

— Strong anti-holdout rules.

— Clubs have option to extend the contract of a first-round draftee for a fifth year, based on agreed-upon tender amounts.

— Creation of new fund to redistribute, beginning in 2012, savings from new rookie pay system to current and retired player benefits and a veteran player performance pool.

2011-2012 TRANSITION RULES:

— Special transition rules to protect veteran players in 2011. All teams will have approximately $3.5 million in what would otherwise be performance-based pay available to fund veteran player salaries.

— Each club may “borrow” up to $3 million in cap room from a future year, which may be used to support veteran player costs.

— In 2012, each club may “borrow” up to $1.5 million in cap room from a future year. Both these amounts would be repaid in future years.

OTHER:

— No judicial oversight of the agreement. Neutral arbitrators jointly appointed by the NFL and NFLPA will resolve disputes as appropriate.

Via AP

~Kyle~

DragoonKain  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/great_news_the_cincinnati_bengals_organization_says_the_lockout_is_over/5665189

What is wrong with the Bengals? In 2009, I thought that they had finally gotten over this whole "all our players are getting arrested" thing but now that's started up again, and now they look like they don't even know what their players are doing!

53964.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: DragoonKain07
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a big power play. I think it'll either get done today once the players have time to look over it or Tuesday at the deadline after they submit a counter-proposal.

~Kyle~

RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from SportsCenter and their Twitter: Players will not vote Friday on proposed CBA that has been approved by NFL owners.

Bummer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that no vote was going to be taken until Monday at the earliest. Partly to look over the deal, partly out of respect for Robert Kraft(whose wife died earlier this week), etc...I think the deal gets shot down for now anyway.

Also, this is hilarious: http://deadspin.com/5823549/dear-chris-kluwe-when-we-want-the-punters-opinion-well-ask-for-it-we-wont

http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can

For the record, Nate Jackson's stat line? 27 receptions for 240 yards. In a season? Nope. His ENTIRE CAREER(6 years). I don't see any problem with what Chris said...neither side has been fully in the right in this situation, so both sides getting called out is fine to me. For the record, telling someone to "go jam a tackling dummy up their ass" is perhaps the most hilarious thing I've heard during this lockout(besides the circumcising mosquitos bit).

KoE wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 3 of 111

Jump to: