NCAA Football: Notre Dame vs. Alabama for Title Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
Josseppe95 wrote:
Quote:
The NFL system is completely different from the BCS and allows for regular season losses, which is precisely what I don't want anyways.

What the fuck DO you want then if you wouldn't have put an undefeated team in the title game then?

I want conference reorganization where every team has to face roughly equal strength of schedules and I want a 4 team playoff system.

If there is no conference reorganization, and we have an 8 or 16 playoff system, I hope you all will enjoy SEC vs SEC matchups every year lol

Alright, no argument here. Although, with conference restructuring I have a feeling teams going undefeated will become a MUCH rarer phenomenon.
directshot999  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josseppe95 wrote:
directshot999 wrote:
Josseppe95 wrote:
Quote:
The NFL system is completely different from the BCS and allows for regular season losses, which is precisely what I don't want anyways.

What the fuck DO you want then if you wouldn't have put an undefeated team in the title game then?

I want conference reorganization where every team has to face roughly equal strength of schedules and I want a 4 team playoff system.

If there is no conference reorganization, and we have an 8 or 16 playoff system, I hope you all will enjoy SEC vs SEC matchups every year lol

Alright, no argument here. Although, with conference restructuring I have a feeling teams going undefeated will become a MUCH rarer phenomenon.

Which will be fine. As long as a 12-0 team from a big time conference isn't in the same bracket as a 10-2 team from the Big East or something, I'm fine with it.

I just want conference restructuring so there will be no more arguments on SOS anymore for polls, you know?
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll be the first to say R.I.P. Joe Paterno. It's such a shame his name had to be associated with all that crap that happened at Penn State. He is still a legend none the less.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
illiniguy  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think the lung cancer was the true killer here...it was the scandal. All of that shit, and I think he just lost a will to live. He was already having some health issues during the end of his coaching career (pre-scandal) but he fought through it all the same...the scandal killed him. His legacy outweighs the scandal, I think. Rest in peace.
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP, Joe Pa. I never really did feel that Penn State handled Paterno correctly, and regretably this might have had a lot to do with his death.
directshot999  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

illiniguy wrote:
I still don't think the lung cancer was the true killer here...it was the scandal. All of that shit, and I think he just lost a will to live. He was already having some health issues during the end of his coaching career (pre-scandal) but he fought through it all the same...the scandal killed him. His legacy outweighs the scandal, I think. Rest in peace.

I agree.

I really feel bad for him. Football was his life, and the scandal wasn't his fault. He did what he was supposed to do, but didn't do more, and he got punished for not doing more.

If anything, I'm sure he needed peace. His death is slightly reminiscent of the Bear's passing after his own retirement. Rest in peace, Joe Pa.
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna feel so surreal to watch a Penn State game and not see Joe Pa on the sidelines anymore. It still really hasn't fully sunken in that he's dead honestly...

RIP Joe Pa, you will be missed
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, let the debates begin: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7877172/bcs-gets-right

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7863041/four-team-playoff-plan-link-national-semis-sites-conferences-bcs-bowls

BCS committee all but confirming a four team playoff will be in effect. The details are within the article, but wow this is big news!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And long overdue.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, though- hearing about JoePa's involvement today was absolutely disgusting. Deliberately covering it up multiple times, stopping the university's president from going to the authorities about it to protect the program... just disgusting. I'm sorry, but after hearing Freeh's report, he deserves to have his entire coaching career tarnished by this and his statue taken down. This scandal exemplifies- to an extreme, to be sure- the dangers of how powerful football programs have become.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fUNC I think The Onion nailed it

Freeh Report: Joe Paterno Burning In Hell Right Now
directshot999  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, my last post looks absolutely ignorant. Never expected that from Paterno...
fUNC  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else think that the punishments today were worse than the vaunted "death penalty?" The bullet points:

1. $60 million dollar fine
"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university"

2. Banned from bowl games for 4 years.

3. Scholarships reduced for 4 years.

4. Students are allowed to transfer and immediately play.

5. Vacated all wins from 1998 to 2011

6. 5 year probation.

7. Investigation of individuals AFTER any criminal procedings are finished.

People were extremely upset when the NCAA announced that the program wouldn't get the death penalty, but I think that this is far, far worse. They learned from the SMU case that shutting the program down entirely effectively killed the school for an entire generation- it was close to 20 years before that team went back to a bowl game. With a massive fine, four-year postseason ban, and losing every win that the school had for the past 13 years, I think that this does a better job of punishing those that were actively involved (again, the current roster can still play against high-level competition).

However, if you're going to call for more severe punishment for the masterminds, what more can you do? Paterno is in the ground, the president and AD are long since fired, fined, and ostracized, and Sandusky will either rot in prison or get shived the second he's in there. Is it unfair to players (including the likes of Larry Johnson and Tambi Hali) who played during that tenure and likely knew nothing about it? Yeah. Is it going to affect what they've done since then? No- and that, I think, is why this does a better job of punishing the institution than the SMU fiasco.

Also, $60 million might seem like a slap on the wrist considering what they take in, but you have to throw in all of the 100-odd civil suits and loss of future revenue too. $60 million is just the rock in the glass that starts the spiderweb... and they can still be investigated further. This also doesn't count the newly announced loss of revenue from the Big 10 itself, which will be around $15 million for the next four years.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that catches my ears the most is the sentence uttered by the NCAA President, when he said the "punishment was to make sure that football is never again placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people." We have to remember that football is a game. I have always believed that education is the most important element of a college student's time at a university. Football is an extra curricular activity. Football should always be second to the welfare and the education of students.

No bowl games for four years? Boo-hoo. So they get to play one less football game a year, assuming they earn it. Sorry, I have no sympathy for those upset about this.

Now, the vacating of wins from '98? That I can understand why that doesn't seem fair, since it would appear that many of the people in those years had no idea any of the Sandusky bullshit was going on. And it sucks that it affects Paterno's win record. Not sure I understand the need to punish him further.

Everything else seemed fair to me. And with penalties this severe, hopefully something as egregious as the Sandusky scandal will NEVER happen again.

Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure that the NCAA has real business involving itself with legal matters but in the end it really was necessary to do this to set a precedent. I'm curious to see if Syracuse is gonna get the same treatment though, seems as if everyone's forgotten about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 27 of 31

Jump to: