Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
NCAA Football: Notre Dame vs. Alabama for Title Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
directshot999  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in the "Te'o is overrated" boat. Dude was 51st in the country in total tackles. His only impressive stat was his interceptions. Johnny Manziel actually once had a forced fumble, but it was negated because the play was blown dead. Te'o's hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure he's a great guy off the field, but on the field, he's just a regular old LB. Hell, most of his INTs are off of tipped passes anyways.

He's a good player, but the only reason he was even up there is because he's on Notre Dame, and they're undefeated. Why not Jarvis Jones? Why not Jadeveon Clowney? This year (outside of Manziel) was also a huge down year in the Heisman race. Te'o would've never even gotten an invite if he had that year in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011.
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
Put me in the "Te'o is overrated" boat. Dude was 51st in the country in total tackles. His only impressive stat was his interceptions. Johnny Manziel actually once had a forced fumble, but it was negated because the play was blown dead. Te'o's hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure he's a great guy off the field, but on the field, he's just a regular old LB. Hell, most of his INTs are off of tipped passes anyways.

He's a good player, but the only reason he was even up there is because he's on Notre Dame, and they're undefeated. Why not Jarvis Jones? Why not Jadeveon Clowney? This year (outside of Manziel) was also a huge down year in the Heisman race. Te'o would've never even gotten an invite if he had that year in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011.

I'm not a meathead Notre Dame fan like a few of my friends back home, but you still need to recognize his achievements. He was only 51st in tackles because teams played the ball away from him. More than half of those INTs weren't tipped. And one could argue that Manti was the main reason behind 5-6 of Notre Dame's wins this year.

I found it odd that Clowney and Braxton Miller didn't get invites to New York. And while I do believe it was right that Manziel won, I also think it was right to put Manti as one of the top three players on the ballot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to OP I'm the only Aggie here... though I know that's not true. I've been quietly following the Aggies through all of this and it feels so great to see Manziel get the Heisman. He is one classy guy as well, Texas as a whole should be proud of him.

As for the title game, the hoosier in me is definitely pulling for Notre Dame on this one (not to mention I tend to pull for the underdog in most cases). I guess we will see.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved list to pick em thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
directshot999  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Alabama team is definitely not one of Saban's best. I didn't expect a National Championship appearance this year... I expected that to come next year, but I'm not complaining.

The defense is somewhere between 2009/2011's squad and 2010's. The secondary is a little better as are the front seven as a whole, but there's weak points.

Deion Belue is HORRIBLE. Seriously. He's the worst CB we've had since Kareem Jackson. He can't cover ANYONE. If Golson can somehow actually throw decently for once and pick on him, it might make the game a little interesting.

Offense wise, the playcalling is iffy. The 2nd half Georgia game was the best we've looked all year on offense, and the Texas A&M game as a whole was the worst. We need to quit putting the game into McCarron's hands and let him be a manager, not a playmaker. If I was coordinator, Lacy and Yeldon would combine for 40-45 carries a game. They both average very high YPCs and we have the best OL in the country, why not?
directshot999  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tide's Lacy, Fluker turning pro.

Wanna know why running backs commit to Alabama? Lacy is the 4th starting RB to go pro early IN A ROW under Saban. Coffee, Ingram, Richardson are the other three that left as Juniors.

Sucks to see Lacy go because he was good, but he never really lived up to expectations. He was unable to distance himself as a lead ballcarrier among a freshman, so I'm interested to see how Saban handles distribution next year with Fowler returning.

I'm guessing...

1. TJ Yeldon
2. Kenyan Drake
3. Jalston Fowler (He will be in as FB/H-back often though)
4. Altee Tenpenny/Derrick Henry

I think Saban will possibly move Dee Hart to slot receiver behind Christion Jones. Hart is good enough to start on basically every SEC team but the two injuries he's suffered have got him behind the depth chart, and with three incoming freshman running backs, it'll be tough to fight back in.

Kenyan Drake also may be 3rd string to Jalston Fowler, but we'll see. Fowler was 2nd string to open this year, but suffered an injury. Kenyan Drake has filled in nicely in mop up duty but has not had a meaningful snap this year.
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saban is probably the best recruiter out there, but does he just favor running backs more than anything? Can he just coach them to their potential better than anyone else?
directshot999  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLKDragon wrote:
Saban is probably the best recruiter out there, but does he just favor running backs more than anything? Can he just coach them to their potential better than anyone else?

Saban actually is a DB man. Played DB at Kent State in college and has coached them on defense ever since. Our running backs coach is Burton Burns, and he's a REALLY solid coach.
directshot999  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
If we get by Georgia, we would likely blow Notre Dame out, 31-7. If you score over 17 points against the Irish, the game is over. They can't move the ball on offense.

The ND defense is for real, but I think we can get a few turnovers on Golson and turn it ugly. Plus, a good chunk of our players have experience in not one, but TWO National Championship games. They have been there before, and so has the coaching staff. Nick Saban is 3-0 in National Championship appearances as well, while Brian Kelly is 0-0. Definite coaching advantage to the Tide here.

That's not the homer coming out in me, that's just the truth. Notre Dame is not that good of a team. Us vs. Florida would be a much closer matchup, but I'm not preaching another all-SEC game. I like the historical backgrounds between this game, should it happen.

I'll put it this way: They scored 21 on Boston College, a rank 100+ defense, in one game. We scored 28 on Auburn, a much better defense (yes it's true), in one quarter. Our offense isn't light years better, but we are definitely a more complete team on both sides of the ball.

But before we even start thinking about that, Bama still has Georgia to play lol. Lord knows if the team has been buying into the media talk, we are going to get killed this Saturday. Statistics say we have this one in the bag, but I'm not taking it for granted. I think it'll be closer than a lot of people think.

Hopefully Georgia wears black though, so they can go to their own "mother ****ing funeral" again

So I gotta say, epic pick here? I called the close Georgia game, and the blowout tonight
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:/ This is painful to watch.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
directshot999  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:

Also another epic call. Te'o got exposed tonight, and his draft stock took a MAJOR hit. Eddie Lacy embarrassed him.

EDIT: Man, I remember making the first College Football thread just after the Clemson game in Saban's second year. After surviving through the early 2000s and the Shula-era, this feels GREAT. Three National Championships in four years... That's just unbelievable.

And the scary part? This was a rebuilding year for Alabama, next year was supposed to be the run at the title. Well, here's next year, time to get working.

This won't happen often folks, but you are watching a true dynasty develop before your eyes. Five straight 10 win seasons. Three National Championship Wins in four years. And guess what? It's not stopping anytime soon.
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisdaschwab912 wrote:
I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Notre Dame is going to die.

Yep.

Hopefully this is the last we hear from either program for a while. Notre Dame is trash, and I'm just sick of Alabama. But I was rooting for Bama last night, so take that with a grain of salt.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm really late (OR EARLY?) on this one, but...

Gig 'em Aggies

Didn't catch the game last night, but it sounds like an embarrassment. And a disappointment (even for Bama fans, surely a more even match-up is more fun to watch and more exciting for everyone). I do hope more teams rise up to the challenge next year.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
pizzzapizza  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not happy about ND losing to alabama what made me sad
directshot999  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I know I'm really late (OR EARLY?) on this one, but...

Gig 'em Aggies

Didn't catch the game last night, but it sounds like an embarrassment. And a disappointment (even for Bama fans, surely a more even match-up is more fun to watch and more exciting for everyone). I do hope more teams rise up to the challenge next year.

Was kind of a disappointment. I would've liked to have seen a more competitive game, but I like seeing ESPN talking heads, specifically Lou Holtz, be wrong.

I'm excited for next year, since this year was our rebuilding year. Next year we have a lot of talent coming back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: