ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Getting back into Vocals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OcosnTyrantis  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Getting back into Vocals? Reply with quote

Hey Scorehero. I used to enjoy singing a lot. Whether it was on Guitar Hero or just singing along to music on YouTube.

A few weeks ago, I was ill. Probably the common cold or something, but throughout it, I kept coughing a lot. Not the average cough, it literally felt like my Adam's apple had been replaced by a saw blade. Since then, the shape of my Adam's apple has seemed to have changed slightly. It seems a lot more edged.

Anyway, even after I recovered from illness, my voice hasn't. I commonly find myself coughing throughout sentences and It seems that I'm not able to hold sustains or phrases as long as I used to before my voice quickly fades. My vocal range has also decreased. I used to be able to sing the "Trololol" song dead on and I could just about manage the high notes in "Bohemian Rhapsody". Now my throat feels awkward when I attempt to do either.

Any suggestions on how to go about solving this?
wallflower  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clean singing, so I'd imagine warm water and frequent exercising would help out. I've heard chocolate is bad for the voice/throat.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you didn't let your throat recover from being sick. try gargling warm salt water periodically. also, hot green tea with honey should help. of course, higher quality tea might work better and definitely will taste better.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
youhas  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to sing without letting myself truly heal up first is a recurring problem for me. I'll get back to 85% strength, and assume that I'm more-or-less OK... and keep straining to hit some pitches, effectively reinjuring myself, keeping myself stuck at 85% indefinitely. I am not a logistical wizard, apparently.

Gargling with salt water and drinking a nice hot tea with honey are both excellent ideas. I also enjoy taking hot showers (more or less to steam out my sinuses) and enjoying anything in and around the ballpark of chicken soup, where even convenience store ramen will work in a pinch - the warm and salty broth seems to help soothe things a good bit.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: