ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Next-Gen Consoles/Handhelds/Computers/Mobile Phones/Etc.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saru786  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Next-Gen Consoles/Handhelds/Computers/Mobile Phones/Etc. Reply with quote

Hey peoples. So I wanted to talk about the next-gen of videogames. For all types of platforms.

Xbox 720: Microsoft has been hinting towards there next-gen console. They've gave little hints in interviews and job positions. I'd love to see much better graphics in the Xbox, as the current-gen one is outdated, as are other consoles. Also Blu-Ray like the PS3 would be nice aswell, mostly because of the whole two-disk thing would be virtually gone if they do it that way. IE Web Browser could be possible too. Thats all I can really think about what I would want the Xbox 720 to do that the 360 doesn't.

Microsoft Resumes Mentioning Next Gen Xbox
Rumor: Saint Row 4 Already In Planning Stages At THQ Possibly For Next-Gen
Xbox 720 Logo Spotted In Real Steel Movie Trailer
Rumor: Alan Wake 2 Coming to Next-Gen...Rare, Lionhead, and Turn 10 Preparing Projects
Epic Games CEO Spends 60% Of His Time On The Next-Gen
Ubisoft Explains Why Beyond Good and Evil 2 Will Be On The Next Generation Consoles
Treyarch's Next Call of Duty Coming To A New Console (Possibly WiiU...who knows.)
Halo Anniversary Dev-Xbox 720 Will Do Phenomenal Things
Xbox 720 Targeting Christmas 2013 Launch
DICE Talks Next-Gen Consoles
Epic Wants Unreal Engine 4 To Launch Alongside Next Generation
Next-Gen Xbox 720 To Be Called "Xbox Loop" and Rumors Points Towards Windows 9 and ARM Functionality
Bleszinski (Epic Games): Still More To Come From 360
New Xbox Console Planned For Holiday 2012?
Xbox 720 Dev Kits "Ready by Christmas"
Sony Doesn't Want To Be Late With PS4

PS4: I've never had a PS3, and I might not even get a PS4 if it comes out. But I'm pretty sure people would want better graphics for the consoles of course. Hopefully the next-gen console graphics can be superior to that of the current-gen PC. Cause PC graphics blow my mind. Also, if it does come out, lower price tag on launch would be lovely. Thats about all I can think of for that.

WiiU: Not really happy about this console. The whole controller thing being like your tv is neat and all, but that is fucking huge for a controller. Like, FUCK. Also, the Nintendo consoles are only now getting HD graphics while the Xbox 360 and PS3 have had that for a good 6 years. Thats a step back, not a step forward. Nintendo needs to start appealing to more the hardcore community of players aswell. Sure, the casual players can have there stuff like WiiFit and w/e, but atleast let the WiiU have games that are M rated. Almost all the games I saw for the Wii are E-T. >.> However, I did hear that Battlefield 3 might come to the WiiU, so who knows, Nintendo might start doing M rated games.

PC: Not sure.

iPhone/Android/iPad/etc.: I don't really care. I'm not a mobile gamer at all.

Nintendo3DS and PSVita: Don't care.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you guys want the next-gen to come out already? Or can you guys wait a few more years. I personally don't want the next-gen to come out anytime soon, seeing as that I'm happy with my Xbox 360 the way it is. But I feel the next-gen (consoles such as Xbox 720 and PS4) might come out in 2014 or 2015. Like I said, what do you guys think?

Note: Xbox 720 and PS4 are merely substitute names for the next-gen consoles. I don't actually think they would be called something as stupid as that...or as stupid as WiiU.

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid

Last edited by Saru786 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 14 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC doesn't really have generations in particular. It's an ever-evolving system. Maybe you could look at it from an OS standpoint, as stuff like Windows 7, Vista, XP, are kinda like the generations, but being that you can upgrade your system very easily, there isn't particularly just a generation like the console. All it takes is one new game to make others seem inferior to it lol I'm way into PC stuff, as I just bought a new graphics card to get better performance out of Battlefield 3 and Skyrim till I can update the whole computer in about a year or two.

For me, after getting the PS3, I am still not super excited for a PS4. While there are good games, having a 360, I rarely play my PS3. I'm really not excited by many of it's exclusives and I certainly wont' get it at launch.

For Xbox 720, I just want the thing to fucking last longer than the 360. It took them years to make the systems right. They need to really focus on the hardware aspect this time around I think as the PS3 does have it beat in that regard. And it will need a Blu-Ray Player or some sort of new medium, because the dvd's just don't work at all anymore. I could see getting a 720 (which I hope they don't use for the name, cause it's really really stupid) near launch if they do better with the system itself.

Nintendo has basically failed me as a company. The Wii was a terrible thing, very outdated in terms of hardware design, the motion control focus was annoying and such a terrible gimmick, and there are so very few games that I really like. The WiiU just looks to be continuing that, all gimmick, playing catchup to the other consoles, I really don't want a big pad for a controller, I want something that feels nice and comfortable when I play. A mouse fits nice into my hand, the 360 controller is probably the best one I've ever held, the PS3 one isn't too terrible, but I hate the triggers on it. The Wii controller is either just a wand or you have to hold it sidways, which is absolutely uncomfortable. They are gonna have to do alot to make me even remotely interested in them this generation. I'm certainly not buying it launch like I did with the Wii, which was a mistake.

Last edited by MSH-Hitman on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be 100% wrong but I forsee a pretty big failure for Nintendo with the WiiU.

No hardcore gamer playing battlefield/CoD and other games like that are going to want to do it on that giant ass controller. I'm sure a few will. But i don't see it.

2nd... the ship has sailed for Nintendo in my opinion when it comes to trying capture the "hardcore," gaming crowd. Hardcore gamers don't care about the gaming experience the way Nintendo is aiming to please. Hardcore gamers want competitive gaming without gimicks and movement. (in most cases)

Not to mention NIntendo's stance on M rated games, which I'm sure they might allow games like Battlefield etc. But games like Saints Row, GTA, DOOM things like that... I can't see nintendo allowed games like that on their console... and that will always turn off the hardcore crowd since it limits their options.

I can see a new xbox/ps3 coming 2013/2014. I think 2015 is way too far off. It will most likely be sooner than that. Graphics are starting to stagger on consoles for sure. But that's okay. They are still good.

K now

XBOX 720: For the love of god they need a blu-ray drive on this for the sake of storage, crappy ports because they lack space sucks. Xbox live is great, but they really need to allow people to use netflix without having gold... that's just idiotic. Netflix is free on everything else. Adding a browser is good. But Xbox is pretty solid in terms of console/interface.

PS4: For the love of god make a network that is as good as xbox live. I haven't played a lot of games on PSN, but ALL of them have issues with lag. ALL OF THEM. This is not acceptable. The Interface of the PS3 is good. I like it.

All the consoles need to figure out a way to keep prices around 300-400 MAX for the consoles when they come out. 500-650 is not a good pricetag for consoles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles/Handhelds/Computers/Mobile Phones/Etc. Reply with quote

Saru786 wrote:
IE Web Browser could be possible too.

I've never understood why people want a web browser in their game console... you will have absolutely no use for that, especially in this day and age where almost everyone either has a laptop, or most people, that I know at least, have their console and PC relatively close to each other. I say no to a browser, as I'm sure that could be used as an excuse for companies to up the price a little bit.

Saru786 wrote:

PC: Not sure.

PC is always next-gen and is always evolving (Although I believe someone said we will hit the fundamental limit soon according to Moore's Law, but who knows).

Saru786 wrote:

iPhone/Android/iPad/etc.: I don't really care. I'm not a mobile gamer at all.

I'm actually really looking forward to who powerful companies can get phone. So excited for this summer as I can finally upgrade and get a dual-core phone (Android).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could really care less for web browser myself, but it would just be neat to have it. Like lets say you find the charger for your laptop or something, and it runs of out of juice. Its always nice to have an alternative like a console especially when you don't have a mobile phone like myself.

But yea, I could live without a web browser.

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for the Xbox and the Playstation exclusives. I don't understand how anybody can say Xbox has the better of the 2.

Halo.... aren't we bored yet? Gears of War was great i thought ( i play these for the singleplayer) But they are done now. Fable.. first one was good...2nd one was okay.. 3rd ending... REALLY.... Oh and Alan Wake ( which is effing awesome)

Isn't that pretty much it from the big exclusives.

PS has God of war, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Littlebigplanet(i hate this one), Resistence (not sure iff this is any good honestly), Heavy Rain was awesome.

After reviewing the options... I'd say I'm fairly interested equally in the 2 systems in terms of their exclusives. However I don't get peoples obsession with Halo anymore. But I've always liked playing those games for the single player. I'm not a multiplayer FPS freak on the console.

Out of all of them Uncharted is by far my favorite series for many reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of all current generation systems, handhelds, and computers, I feel like I would be content to stick with my current setup for as long as possible (surprise, surprise). I honestly doubt I will buy the WiiU since I literally never play my Wii except when friends come over, and that will be a milestone as far as game consoles I do not buy. I'm already regretting buying the 3DS (though as better games start to come out I'm losing most of my buyer's remorse, also FREE GAMES).

An XBox 720 and a PS4 seem completely unnecessary in my opinion. The only other thing I actually want out of XBox is youtube support, and we'll be getting that soon anyway (a web browser is completely useless in my opinion, unless the thing were to have incredible memory so you could google something like a game guide while actually still playing the game, but currently that isn't possible).

XBox with blu-ray would be nice, but it is never going to happen. If you think Sony is going to give up their only trump card over XBox you are sorely mistaken. :p Honestly graphics-wise as far as either console goes, I think we've hit a peak to where we won't really be able to get much more realistic short of 3D-only games or literally taking video and making it into a game. Yes, I'd like the 360 to have less of the multi-disc crap, but really that is my only gripe. I love using my PS3 for blu-ray and my 360 for Netflix and Hulu. I really see no need for another generation of consoles in the near future (maybe like, 2014 or 2015? Yeah, you never know how technology will have changed by then, but for now I think having the same console for 4 years and continuously upgrading the UI and features online is much better). Then again I haven't ever had a RROD so I guess I'm not jaded yet.

But yeah, personally I'd rather keep the consoles at roughly $300 so the pool of online players is bigger. Of course any major upgrades are going to bump up the price tag for sure. So in this case I don't think you can have it both ways: amazing graphics and memory and blu-ray capabilities for a cheap price? Somethings gotta give here.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Honestly graphics-wise as far as either console goes, I think we've hit a peak to where we won't really be able to get much more realistic short of 3D-only games or literally taking video and making it into a game

For this gen, yes, you're are right. Most developers are already pushing the limit when it comes to both consoles. But the 360 is going on 6 years old now. The next gen consoles will have a lot better graphics, as who knows what kind of technology they have been developing behind the scenes these past couple of years (Of course, Microsoft said that they believe the 360 is only halfway through it's life cycle, and they don't expect to come out with a new console until around 2015).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
Honestly graphics-wise as far as either console goes, I think we've hit a peak to where we won't really be able to get much more realistic short of 3D-only games or literally taking video and making it into a game

For this gen, yes, you're are right. Most developers are already pushing the limit when it comes to both consoles. But the 360 is going on 6 years old now. The next gen consoles will have a lot better graphics, as who knows what kind of technology they have been developing behind the scenes these past couple of years (Of course, Microsoft said that they believe the 360 is only halfway through it's life cycle, and they don't expect to come out with a new console until around 2015).

Very true. I guess what I mean is, from a user's standpoint, we're at the point where I probably won't notice an incredible difference from this generation to next generation since we're already at the hyper-photorealistic point for graphics. Or even if the difference is significant, I doubt it would be significant enough to justify about $400-$500 dropped on it. Up until now, every generation has been an incredible leap from the last, but now, I rack my brain trying to imagine just how they could honestly make the graphics BETTER... Then again I still remember my mind being blown when I started playing my first SNES.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have already said the new generation of xbox/ps3s based on an article i read is that they should be able to render with graphics as good as that really bad movie that made a lot of money with cool graphics about cowboys and indians in the future.

Blu-ray is only a new medium. It's not like ONLY sony sells blu-ray drives and players. So i'm sure the new xbox will have it.

Oh and what Hailz said... PS3 is bluray, netflix and hulu plus without paying for xbl :p. It's pretty dirty that microsoft requires Gold to use netflix.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-xbox-720-targeting-christmas-2013-launch/
Anyone else see this happening?

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing we will keep seeing is bigger Hard Drives as well (And them pricing them absurdly high as well).

Surely both consoles will have complete backwards compatibility, and you should be able to transfer all of your content to the new hard drive (Since we have already seen this with the new Xbox 360 Hard Drives). If you can't then I would expect to see Microsoft and Sony utilize The Cloud for everything then (Each Xbox (Or Gamertag) comes with 320 GB of storage in the Cloud or something along those lines).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will see some good backwards compatibility for the next gen also. With all the push for the online aspects, DLC, and all the digital things they push, I think it's natural for them to move it into the next line of consoles, utilizing what people have already saved, to move it into much bigger harddrives and cloud support, though I haven't really used anything with cloud support yet. Steam has it, but I'm not sure what exactly it saves on there.

I don't think it's too early to start looking at the new consoles, perhaps a 2013 to 2014 release. They've already peaked system wise in what the tech can do and some consoles like the 360 are hitting some major boundaries with games like Rage and Battlefield 3. PS3 is only better than the 360, due to Blu-Ray discs, as even they are getting their systems pushed too hard by games like Rage, of which it can't handle well enough. The Wii U is a non issue. It's playing catchup to the other systems and when it comes out, I bet it'll be about the same as current tech. Sure it'll get games that are out now when it's released, but when the games move into the next gen, the Wii will get left behind again, getting weaker ports of the current gen games.

As for controllers for the PS4 and 720 (Man, I hope that name isn't going to be it lol), I hope motion tech is dropped entirely or continues to be a side aspect. Touch pad stuff, maybe that could be useful, but motion tech with Move and Kinect is not how I want to play any video game. Ever. It's such a lame gimmick. I don't want to play a game for a couple hours standing up or waving my arms about. I'm already pissed I'm gonna have to do it with Skyward Sword lol Don't get me started on that ugly and most likely uncomfortable Wii U controller also XD Nintendo hasn't made an official comfortable controller in years, certainly the only good one in the past 20 was the Gamecube Wavebird controller and that was an optional controller.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

Very true. I guess what I mean is, from a user's standpoint, we're at the point where I probably won't notice an incredible difference from this generation to next generation since we're already at the hyper-photorealistic point for graphics. Or even if the difference is significant, I doubt it would be significant enough to justify about $400-$500 dropped on it. Up until now, every generation has been an incredible leap from the last, but now, I rack my brain trying to imagine just how they could honestly make the graphics BETTER... Then again I still remember my mind being blown when I started playing my first SNES.

I wouldn't say that just yet, as an almost PC exclusive gamer these days the differences between some graphics on PC vs. console is astounding, especially in terms of resolution and lighting.

And not to mention you have PC exclusive titles that would simply cause most consoles to implode. The prime example being Crysis, which came out 4 years ago now, and they finally just released it to console after having to dumb down the graphics from the PC version. And of course there's stuff like Witcher 2 with ubersampling on which practically no computer can run smoothly currently but sweet jesus does it look amazing for a semi-linear (Think like Fable) RPG.

Ex: http://h8.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1723-4bte7.png
http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Witcher-2-Uber-Header-3-600x326.jpg
http://static.strategyinformer.com/r/game_images/thumbs/473x/0091/0018213.jpg
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2011/05/TheWitcher2-UberSampling-aus_cr.png

So stuff like that and even better is what you can expect from the first wave of next gen games.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: