ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Batman: Arkham City
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh.... You can take anything off of your hard drive with a transfer cable or USB flash drive?
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchiridion wrote:
slfan68 wrote:
Well, looks like I'm going to have to seriously reconsider if I should be buying this game showing support for the publishers. It was announced today that the ON-DISC SINGLE-PLAYER Catwoman content has gone the way of EA's online pass. Either buy the game new, pay $10, or don't play the Catwoman content. I already had enough of a hard time justifying buying Madden 12 for myself because of its online, but blocking players access to single-player on-disc content is just beyond ludicrous. I know some people will say to just buy the game new, but it's not about that. It's about principle. It's like if I rented a movie and the dvd stopped with roughly 30 minutes left and said "To finish this movie you must pay $10."

Sorry, but that analogy makes no sense. You get the full experience of the game by purchasing it regardless, but to get that little extra, you make a small donation to the developers / publishers themselves. Buying a game used means that you are contributing entirely to the establishment that bought them back from the original owner (Game Stop, for instance). I don't see why the devs / pubs wanting to be paid at least a little bit for their hard work by every person getting the full package is so offensive to people that wouldn't be playing it without them. Especially when it's a package that is already so well respected.

Agreed. If you are gonna make a movie analogy, it's more of a "I bought the movie for $18, but to see the Behind-The-Scenes extra features, I have to pay an extra $3).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's curious, here are the pre-order bonuses by location / store:

United States

Amazon: $10 promotional credit, and exclusive Batman: Arkham City comic (with Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions only).

Gamestop: exclusive Joker’s Carnival challenge map (reported 4 hours of gameplay), and a digital copy of Batman: Gotham Knight anime movie. In addition, PowerUp Rewards members get a Batman Animated Series suit.

BestBuy: exclusive Robin character with his own unique gadgets and moves. Playable in all challenge maps of the game, including two additional maps that are only available with Best Buy preorders (Black Mask Hideout and Freight Train Escape).

Newegg: free Batman t-shirt with console versions of the game.

Walmart: $10 eGift card and a free copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum with console versions of the game.

United Kingdom

Amazon: exclusive Catwoman Steelbook edition and Batman Earth One DLC.

HMV: exclusive LTD edition DC Batman Arkham City comic, a LTD edition Batman Arkham City T-Shirt and a LTD edition lenticular sleeve.

Blockbuster: SteelBook CE of the game featuring the Penguin.

Tesco: Joker’s Carnival challenge map, and SteelBook case with Joker cover art.

ShopTo.net: exclusive 1970′s Batman Suit DLC. This store also offers a Two-Face SteelBook edition for a slightly higher price.

GAME: playable Robin character with two challenge maps and two costumes. This edition of the game also features Robin box art.

GameStop: exclusive Batman Beyond Batsuit DLC.

And here's Collector's Edition info:

Collector's Edition

The Collector’s Edition carries a price tag of $99.99 and includes the following items:

- Custom Batman statue produced by Kotobukiya artists
- Collectible art book
- Four collectible cards
- Early access to Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns character skin
- Bonus DC Universe animated original movie, Batman: Gotham Knight
- Batman: Arkham City album from WaterTower Music including original songs by hit artists, available via digital redemption

Personally, I'm going to go with the (US) Best Buy pre-order package. The Robin DLC package is priced at $6.99 whereas everything else the other locations give you will be about $5, so I feel like you get much more there in terms of digital content. Plus, it comes with the Batman: The Animated Series in game skin, and it looks too funny / awesome to pass up :3. Every store offers their own skin along with what is said up there, and a couple stores aren't mentioned (Toys R Us). If you haven't played / don't own / never finished Arkham Asylum, though, Wal-Mart is definitely the place to go.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best Buy bundle is phenomenal. Question, though- do you have to pre-order the game to get said bonus, or does that just come with every copy of the game that you buy at BB? I know that it sounds like a stupid question, but I've run into a bunch of Gamestop "pre-order" bonuses in the past that were just codes slipped inside each case.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
The Best Buy bundle is phenomenal. Question, though- do you have to pre-order the game to get said bonus, or does that just come with every copy of the game that you buy at BB? I know that it sounds like a stupid question, but I've run into a bunch of Gamestop "pre-order" bonuses in the past that were just codes slipped inside each case.

I'm fairly certain you'll have to pre-order it, but I know exactly what you're talking about and it could very well be the case. Another perk to pre-ordering it, though, is being able to pick it up at the midnight release. Pretty sure most, if not all, Best Buys will be having one.
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone pick the game up and start playing, yet? I got it at the midnight release, but have been busy every day since then so I've only gotten maybe an hour or two into it. The game is an absolute blast and they've improved upon basically every single thing that made Asylum such a big hit. Can't quite say that it's 10/10 material in my book quite yet, but I'm still near the beginning (I think), so it has a lot of time to blossom into that position.

In terms of the content you have to pay for, you can rest assured that you will be able to play the Catwoman sections of the single player campaign no matter what. They are very much a part of the main story and I don't see how the game would function and be coherent without them. The EA pass you get for Catwoman for buying the game new is just the unlock to play her in the challenge mode. Unfortunately, all of the costumes you could have gotten from pre-ordering the game at different venues are only available in this mode, too, and not in the campaign. SO relieved I went with Best Buy to get the Robin content instead.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the game was amazing. I beat it within about 10 to 12 hours with only 56% complete. There's so much Riddler stuff, it's gonna take forever to get it all. The side content practically doubles, and with the Riddler stuff, triples the length of the game.

And I was pretty sure the pass was for all of the Catwoman content, which includes her in challenge missions and her short singleplayer arc, which actually doesn't have anything to do with the story. Sure, she meets with Batman at two points, but her plot doesn't involve the main one at all.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried the Robin content?

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
Has anybody tried the Robin content?

Hasn't been released yet. Slated to come out early next month, I am pretty sure. The Best Buy deal just gave you the voucher to get him for free as soon as it is released.
aldo1  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that people had a chance to go through the game, what is everyones opinion. I thought the game was great. The main story seemed way too short to me though. The combat challenge maps were a cakewalk compared to shock and awe extreme from Asylum. Haven't really cared about the "campaigns". I am about to start new game plus, hopefully it is a bit more challenging. Oh yeah fuck those stupid advanced AR training maps.

Is any of the dlc worth buying? Doesn't seem that appealing, wish there was added actual story dlc.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldo1 wrote:
Now that people had a chance to go through the game, what is everyones opinion. I thought the game was great. The main story seemed way too short to me though. The combat challenge maps were a cakewalk compared to shock and awe extreme from Asylum. Haven't really cared about the "campaigns". I am about to start new game plus, hopefully it is a bit more challenging. Oh yeah fuck those stupid advanced AR training maps.

Is any of the dlc worth buying? Doesn't seem that appealing, wish there was added actual story dlc.

Certainly a fantastic game. I had alot of fun with it. Once I get a wired 360 controller, I'm gonna play through the game again on PC since I got it free. Playing it on keyboard just isn't comfortable when your trying to work with all the combos. I thought the story length was more than fine and if you do everything, the game is plenty long. Easily the better of the two games.

From what I've seen, the Robin and Nightwing DLC is only good if you like doing the challenge maps. I really was never pulled into doing those as I would just much rather play the main game personally.
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a heavy contender as my favorite game of 2011 (competing with Portal 2 and maybe Skyward Sword). To me, this is a perfect example of how a sequel should be done: fixing the prominent issues/imbalances with the first game, expanding the breadth of potential strategy on how to tackle each individual situation, and providing a significantly larger amount of variety and rewards throughout the adventure. The cleverly implemented continuation of the plot line set in the first game is also appreciated.

I guess one of the main reasons why I love it so much more than it's predecessor (which I also feel is a superb game) is because of how different its approach to exploration is. Arkham Asylum was largely akin to the free-roaming style a la Metroid, and while this worked well, there were moments where it felt out of place, especially in the Batman universe. Arkham City, however, seemed more like Zelda with the large, fantastically presented overworld complete with the array of separate buildings and abodes replacing the dungeons, the multitude of side missions to tackle alongside the main quest (not like the first game where the only side option was to find trophies that did almost nothing), and an abundance of extras and secrets that somehow manage to feel perfectly integrated into the environment despite how insane the amount of them is. It's quite a marvel, really. I was completely dumbfounded at how much the sequel improved over an already great game without sacrificing the core essence of what made the formula work so well the first time around. It made the game more open, instilled more value into the extra-curricular activities, made the game's pacing feel much more natural; heck, they even balanced the Detective Mode to make it not seem like an overpowered substitute to the normal view like it was in the first game.

I haven't got the chance to try out the DLC I got with my Collector's Edition outside of the Catwoman parts (if that even counts), though from what I've seen, they're primarily cosmetic, so whether they're worth it or not is a matter of preference.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: