ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Gears of War 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Gears of War 3 Reply with quote

I'm surprised that I didn't see a thread on this (inb4someoneshowsmethread).

I made this for 2 reasons:

1. What is everyone's thoughts on the games?

2. To possibly get some SH games together or play some Horde (since all the public ones are lame because after about 20 waves some jackass quits, which leads to a domino effect).

I really like the TDM gamemode, which is what I play about 99% of the time and a little disappointed that they took out Submission from Gears 2. The Horde 2.0 is pretty cool with all the upgrades and stuff like that, along with the boss waves. And right now, the Torque Tag weekend event is pretty fucking awesome, and it's also helpful if you're trying to get your Torque medal.

There are some aspects of the game that I really haven't explored yet (Beast Mode, for the most part, since it takes like 30 minutes to find a match), so I was hoping for some reviews on that along with some of the other game modes.
Saru786  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played the singleplayer aspect of the game so far. And I must say, thats the 3rd best story I've ever seen in a videogame. There's so much stuff amazing about the campaign can't even explain it. So much emotion put into it. Sadness, Madness, Kicking-ass...ness, etc.

Funny thing is I've never played any GoW games until now. All my friends kept telling me that the GoW series is just plain amazing. So a few days before the game came out, I decided to get Gears 1 and 2 in a double pack case, and I was amazed. I had GoW 3 pre-ordered before I even played GoW 1 and 2.

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saru786 wrote:
I had GoW 3 pre-ordered before I even played GoW 1 and 2.

That's a great idea, why didn't I think of that
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
McSkinny  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wallbouncing skills are ridiculous.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: McSkinny
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've probably gone about 200-20 k/d in 15 or 20 games of Torque Bow Tag. I am loving it so much. It's neat that Epic appears to be doing events like this almost every week.

Before this weekend, I have been head-over-heels addicted to Horde. The new monetary and fortification system works really well. I'm a little more lukewarm on Beast. It's an interesting addition, and well-designed, but I tend to get bored of it rather quickly. I wish it was a little more difficult on normal (matchmaking difficulty), and contained more waves than 12. But playing as a berserker is one of the coolest things ever.

As for the campaign, I thoroughly enjoyed it, easily the best of the series. I'll be vague to avoid spoilers, but let's just say "that scene" in the middle of the game was pretty intense and emotional. Good, solid, understated ending, too. I actually felt like there was closure in a video game trilogy for the first time.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the series ended with a happy ending... except not really all that happy. GoW is easily my favorite video game series of all time, and the story ended perfectly, in my opinion.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Sully  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing like mad. Working towards Seriously at a medium pace- haven't let games run overnight or anything (yet). Finishing 3k matches in each gametype will take forever, considering I've pretty much exclusively played TDM quickmatch and I'm not even to 1k matches. I've dabbled a bit in Horde and Beast and I've Onyx'd all the campaign related medals.

There's been a ton of backlash over the Sawed-off Shotgun, but I love it. I've been playing since Gears 1 and I honestly never liked Gnasher duels.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sully wrote:
Playing like mad. Working towards Seriously at a medium pace- haven't let games run overnight or anything (yet). Finishing 3k matches in each gametype will take forever, considering I've pretty much exclusively played TDM quickmatch and I'm not even to 1k matches. I've dabbled a bit in Horde and Beast and I've Onyx'd all the campaign related medals.

There's been a ton of backlash over the Sawed-off Shotgun, but I love it. I've been playing since Gears 1 and I honestly never liked Gnasher duels.

Perhaps if I'd obtained 'Seriously' in the other two games, I might be compelled to give this one a shot, but it is just too ridiculous. This puts 10,000 kills in Gears 1 to shame. Although I have onyxed almost all of the Horde medals...

As for the Sawed-off, it's definitely grown on me now that I'm actually using it. Initially I was using the Gnasher, and was getting raped by Sawed-off users. Now that I'm returning the favor, I approve of the weapon. Also, for whatever reason, this is the first game that I'm opting for the Hammerburst as my starting rifle. Has it always been this effective? What have I been missing all these years...

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hammerburst has been really good in GoW2 as well, a lot of people didn't use the lancer AT ALL.

So far I have 20 Onyx Medals
That Vengeful medal sucks balls BTW. You have to play bad in order to get that one

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multiplayer in this game has grabbed me hook, line, and sinker. I'm only at level 20 and have quickly realized that damn near everybody is far, far better than I am right now, but I love Beast and Horde. The only thing that I'd like the former to do is offer longer matches with a selectable (while not on Private) difficulty. There's no way that I should have a ratio of 36-1 in my first few days of playing.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This game is a gigantic step up from Gears 2. The lag is gone for me altogether (I literally can't recall lagging in a single match). This may be due to me having a good connection, but it is still going to be monumentally better than connection was for you on Gears 2. I really like Beast Mode and Horde as well. The new horde makes it a lot less repetitive, and the bosses make it more challenging. I really look forward to seeing how difficult it will be to beat it on insane (even though I will probably use infinite ammo and such). And I agree that they should update Beast Mode to make it last longer. While I feel like 12 waves is just not enough to satisfy my thirst for annihilating the COG.

Oh also, me and my cousin are trying to get two other people to beat the campaign on 4 player coop with, so if anyone is interested in that, that would be cool.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
I agree. This game is a gigantic step up from Gears 2. The lag is gone for me altogether (I literally can't recall lagging in a single match). This may be due to me having a good connection, but it is still going to be monumentally better than connection was for you on Gears 2. I really like Beast Mode and Horde as well. The new horde makes it a lot less repetitive, and the bosses make it more challenging. I really look forward to seeing how difficult it will be to beat it on insane (even though I will probably use infinite ammo and such). And I agree that they should update Beast Mode to make it last longer. While I feel like 12 waves is just not enough to satisfy my thirst for annihilating the COG.

Oh also, me and my cousin are trying to get two other people to beat the campaign on 4 player coop with, so if anyone is interested in that, that would be cool.

I'd love to do some 4-player co-op too. My GT is below if you want to send a FR.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Sully  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my last two Beast Onyx medals- in the same match =P

As unlikely as it seems, I destroyed my 3000th fortification and unlocked the final tier for the 75th tier in the same match.

It took 944 waves (600 for Onyx), over the course of which I revived 2240 teammates (1500 for onyx), killed 2070 (1100 for onyx) humans, and earned $1,345,044 ($1 million for Onyx).

My general plan is Drone until Kantus, then if no other Kantuses (Kanti?) or not many heal-able teammates, stick with Drone until Grenadier. Then Kantus or Grenadier until Berserker (which I'd usually have available by wave 9 or 10, sometimes sooner). I'd often use tickers if I died with waves nearly complete. I rarely used other Locust- the occasional Boomer, but that's it:

I've got 20 total Onyx now, with all 8 from campaign done, too. Still have a lot of work to do in Horde (only at like 650 waves played) and a TON of multiplayer crap to grind through. I'm cringing at many of the multiplayer Onyx requirements- wish Horde and Beast counted for stuff like weapon kills, headshots, heavy weapons, etc.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job getting those in the same match!
I had all Beast Onyx medals and then I still had to play to get final tier 40 times

I'm now at 26 Onyx medals. And damn it's slowing down. I'm close to my gnasher (got 5100) but that's it really.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 360 in the mail yesterday (Black Friday thing from walmart.com), so I've been playing this almost non-stop (I already played through Gears 1 and 2 with my uncle). I did the campaign on normal, and it was very satisfying. I really like how act 1 was set up. That scene halfway through and the end were great, I just put the controller down and watched.

I already played beast and horde with my uncle, so I knew what to expect there. I didn't know what to expect from versus, so I just played casual. I assumed it would be a little easier than other modes, but I was not expecting to be top scorer in almost all the matches I played. I got lucky in one of my first two or three matches and chainsawed a guy with Lambency (I think I got Lambency the same match I got Welcome to Versus).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: