ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Unofficial Guild Wars Thread (New GW2 info! Mesmer reveal!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: The Unofficial Guild Wars Thread (New GW2 info! Mesmer revea Reply with quote

Guild Wars as a series is the best MMO out there for your money. Four games, not incredibly expensive, no monthly fees, ridiculously amazing graphics, fun quests and missions in four immersive storylines...what's not to love?

Yes, there are people who denounce parts of the game. Users Shard and Auron at the Guild Wars Wiki (http://wiki.guildwars.com/) are two of the more outspoken to be found online; however, even they can temper their issues - this and this are glowing endorsements of certain aspects of the game. Reading through the articles on their userpages is a great way to quickly see what's good and bad about the series.

As for me, I greatly enjoy it as I play mainly PvE, which has remained fairly balanced since day 1, and I don't think that it's as grind-based as many others. Plus, there's just awesome stuff going on: The climaxes of each of the three standalone games (featuring battles against the man who destroyed a continent, a former Emperor's bodyguard who turned against him and reshaped much of the world, and, in Nightfall, a GOD) are incredible, the explorable areas are well-designed and fun to make your way through, the high-end PvE areas (the Underworld, Fissure of Wow, Urgoz's Warren, and The Deep) are challenging even for the best teams...it's a great way to waste your life.

Discuss this amazing game here.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku

Last edited by this1neguy on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for making a thread on the game that made me waste 6 months of my life . This game kicks serious ass, nothing can compare imo.

and guess wat? CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!!! God SNOWBALL TOURNEY FTF'NW!!!! I cannot wait! It will be a great guild bonding time lol. Time to rack up the Z-keys and if I become a serious lucky son of a bitch get a everlasting. In other news, I am really liking the new codex arena, it's a great addition to PvP

So this1neguy, wat do u normally play as and shit like that? I am a war type of guy but I go ele and nec when I get bored lol.
Vox  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play anymore, but back when I did, I would usually play as my Ritualist. My guild had a lot of people who mained melee characters, which was OK, because splinter weapon was my favorite spell in the game. It was a beautiful sight to see a warrior charge in, use cyclone axe, and have the monsters pretty much "blow up" for lack of a better term.

Plus, my Ritualist looked like a mummy. You can't get much cooler than that.

Anyhow, the game is pretty fun for people out there looking for a MMO without a monthly fee. There's a lot of variety in both PvE and PvP, so the game is sure to destroy your social life if you really get into it. The game isn't exactly solo friendly later on, but you're given npc's and "heros" to help you through missions and stuff. Not to mention, you could always team up with your guildies or other buds in the game. Overall it's a pretty solid MMO, especially if you're looking for one based less on leveling and more on strategy.
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer that just recently stopped working is the only one that could play it. :(

I was still at the beginning of Prophecies, running a Necro/Monk. Maybe when I get a new computer, I'll run an Elementalist/Necromancer. Or vice-versa, I forget which set is usually better.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
+1 for making a thread on the game that made me waste 6 months of my life . This game kicks serious ass, nothing can compare imo.

and guess wat? CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!!! God SNOWBALL TOURNEY FTF'NW!!!! I cannot wait! It will be a great guild bonding time lol. Time to rack up the Z-keys and if I become a serious lucky son of a bitch get a everlasting. In other news, I am really liking the new codex arena, it's a great addition to PvP

So this1neguy, wat do u normally play as and shit like that? I am a war type of guy but I go ele and nec when I get bored lol.

Yep. It pretty well ruined my afternoons for my sophomore year >_>

Haha, I've never participated in any of the Wintersday events to be honest. I'm usually out of town over Christmas so I can't log on. I also haven't played in the Codex Arena, I don't play all that much PvP in general though.

Um, my main is an ele/any with whom I've finished all the campaigns. I usually take two N/Rt heroes and an N/Mo hero and run Discordway; a friend of mine and I run it as a two-man team build and it totally wrecks Hard Mode. He got his vanquisher title pretty easily with it, and I'm still working on that. I also roll an E/Me earth farming build (standard with Obsidian Flesh, Armor of Earth, Sliver Armor) for when I feel like racking up some cash, and I also enjoy running my LOLSEARING FLAMES build (Searing Flames, Liquid Flame, Glowing Gaze as main 3). For PvP, I tend to play Jade Quarry, so I roll a(an? dunno if you say Em-oh/Pe or Monk/Paragon) Mo/P to speed up jade carriers.

Vox wrote:
I don't play anymore, but back when I did, I would usually play as my Ritualist. My guild had a lot of people who mained melee characters, which was OK, because splinter weapon was my favorite spell in the game. It was a beautiful sight to see a warrior charge in, use cyclone axe, and have the monsters pretty much "blow up" for lack of a better term.

Plus, my Ritualist looked like a mummy. You can't get much cooler than that.

Anyhow, the game is pretty fun for people out there looking for a MMO without a monthly fee. There's a lot of variety in both PvE and PvP, so the game is sure to destroy your social life if you really get into it. The game isn't exactly solo friendly later on, but you're given npc's and "heros" to help you through missions and stuff. Not to mention, you could always team up with your guildies or other buds in the game. Overall it's a pretty solid MMO, especially if you're looking for one based less on leveling and more on strategy.

Yeah man! Splinter Weapon + that healing weapon spell = ownage. It's awesome to do stuff like that and just wreck the opposing forces.

I agree with you on that. There's a TON of variety (or at least there was before they got rid of all the small arenas) in PvP, and you can get anything you want with PvE - the monsters include pretty much anything. And the surprising thing about the lack of soloable missions is that the final missions in Factions, EoTN, and to some extent Nightfall can be soloed rather easily, but the ones leading up to them can't be (well, Ruins of Morah is easily soloable, I guess). Guildies are iffier these days than they used to be, sadly, a lot of people seem to have lost interest or are just waiting for GW2 to come out sometime in 2010 or 2011, no one even knows.

The strategy thing is an issue. ArenaNet has ONE PERSON balancing skills. Ever wonder why PvP is so broken? That's why. I mean, let's face it, high-end GvG and HoH are just both teams waiting to break through the defense ball, kill the Ghostly Hero and a monk, and the game is over. Plus, every flag runner runs the exact same build, because the balancer has screwed with enough skills that there are very few viable builds. Hexway is still fucking with the meta, because there's little to be done about -10 health degen coming from three sources. At least Searing Flames is gone from the meta, it was always hilarious to see teams with six E/who cares and two monks rolling over higher ranked guilds. >_> More on that later, if anyone else continues this part of the discussion.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
Qhorin  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
The strategy thing is an issue. ArenaNet has ONE PERSON balancing skills.

Izzy destroyed more things than he fixed, and now whoever is trying to balance GW PvP has a very hard time. That + the fact that ANet is "too busy with GW2" = >_<

btw, *puts flame shield* Shadow Form has to die, ASAP
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qhorin wrote:
this1neguy wrote:
The strategy thing is an issue. ArenaNet has ONE PERSON balancing skills.

Izzy destroyed more things than he fixed, and now whoever is trying to balance GW PvP has a very hard time. That + the fact that ANet is "too busy with GW2" = >_<

btw, *puts flame shield* Shadow Form has to die, ASAP

The problem with Izzy is that he'd rather destroy an entire range of skills (Smiting Prayers, anyone?) than deal with certain issues involved in that area. Stuff like hexway really needs to be dealt with. Too, there have been viable ideas coming from the community that ANet has ignored completely. Third, the new GvG henchmen are awful. They were supposed to be "original" bars but ended up just being copy+paste jobs from PvXWiki, and every bar is exactly the same as something that's already used by players - Shock hammer warrior, Distortion ele, Searing Flames spike, etc, they're already all part of the meta but now you have the option to use them on NPCs who likely can't run them as well as player characters.

Shadow Form is dead except as a running skill, because its damage reducing quality makes it less viable to a soloer than someone who's doing FoWSC. There's no point to it in PvP, because there are way too many interrupt mesmers who can get in the way of Deadly Paradox and that basically means death; and unless you're running Burning Speed the damage reduction makes it incredibly slow as a solo build skill. Mostly now what it's good for is balling up enemies to do high-end PvE speed clears, since that's apparently the only way of farming anymore.

Oh, and it seems like a good idea that if we're going to have this thread we may as well have a place for in-game names if users want to provide them. My main is Lurio Mystras, back from when I was a 13-year-old who couldn't come up with a good name.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

MrYumYum  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play this nonstop, until I realized my character was ridiculously weak in PvP. I had factions and prophecies and played through most of those. The last time I played was last December when I took a break from GH, but yeah, if you aren't clueless at MMOs like me, then you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of these games.

<3 robbyx4595 for sex banner
Add me on XBL if you wish, just leave SH name in message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrLeeChang16
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ANet really needs to work on is creating a wider range of effective skills/builds so all of PvP and PvE doesn't rely on 2 or 3 builds. Thats the very shitty part about PvP and even PvE.

Second, if they are spending most of thier time with GW2, thats fine with me. Just look at the fucking game. Just stare and orgasm. I hope that /orgasm will be an emote because thats the first thing I'll do.
Qhorin  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Third, the new GvG henchmen are awful. They were supposed to be "original" bars but ended up just being copy+paste jobs from PvXWiki, and every bar is exactly the same as something that's already used by players

Funny fact: ANet said in the "Henchman skill bar contest" that they won't accept any copied bar from any site. /laugh.

this1neguy wrote:

Shadow Form is dead except as a running skill, because its damage reducing quality makes it less viable to a soloer than someone who's doing FoWSC. There's no point to it in PvP, because there are way too many interrupt mesmers who can get in the way of Deadly Paradox and that basically means death; and unless you're running Burning Speed the damage reduction makes it incredibly slow as a solo build skill. Mostly now what it's good for is balling up enemies to do high-end PvE speed clears, since that's apparently the only way of farming anymore.

¿Slow as a solo build skill? Sliver Armor + Ebon Battle Standard of Honor = WTFPWN a PvE Mob. Or Ether Nightmare + Cry Of Pain + Field of Radiation.

SCs are one of the main problems of PvE now. There are other ways to farm (600/smite, 330 Rit, 55, etc.) but they need some kind of "skill" and an interrupt or enchant remove can kill you easily. That doesn't happen with Shadow Form.

When a skill is able to bypass 99% of the game skills, and allows to complete elite areas in <30 minutes (it's funny that UW was completed in 7 minutes. They added Dhuum, and UW went to >80 minutes. Actual record is 28 minutes full UW + Dhuum dead), it's broken. Period. They nerfed Ursan Blessing and it was more balanced than Shadow Form is now.

In fact, I'm still trying to understand why ANet had to introduce PvE-Only skills and Consumables...
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
What ANet really needs to work on is creating a wider range of effective skills/builds so all of PvP and PvE doesn't rely on 2 or 3 builds. Thats the very shitty part about PvP and even PvE.

Second, if they are spending most of thier time with GW2, thats fine with me. Just look at the fucking game. Just stare and orgasm. I hope that /orgasm will be an emote because thats the first thing I'll do.

Well...yes. The problem is there's no way to make that many viable skills without ending up with stuff being abused anyway; they either need to work on actually balancing skills rather than just basically exploding stuff that's overpowered.

And...well, yeah, GW2 looks awesome, but you can't forget about the product that brought you onto the market; there are so many complaints coming from the early userbase that it seems like eventually they'd have to take notice.

Qhorin wrote:
Funny fact: ANet said in the "Henchman skill bar contest" that they won't accept any copied bar from any site. /laugh.

Indeed. I saw either Auron or Shard's post on that - it averaged to something like 6/8 skills copied, with an optional and a res sig that essentially lowers to 6/7...how pathetic.

Qhorin wrote:
¿Slow as a solo build skill? Sliver Armor + Ebon Battle Standard of Honor = WTFPWN a PvE Mob. Or Ether Nightmare + Cry Of Pain + Field of Radiation.

SCs are one of the main problems of PvE now. There are other ways to farm (600/smite, 330 Rit, 55, etc.) but they need some kind of "skill" and an interrupt or enchant remove can kill you easily. That doesn't happen with Shadow Form.

When a skill is able to bypass 99% of the game skills, and allows to complete elite areas in <30 minutes (it's funny that UW was completed in 7 minutes. They added Dhuum, and UW went to >80 minutes. Actual record is 28 minutes full UW + Dhuum dead), it's broken. Period. They nerfed Ursan Blessing and it was more balanced than Shadow Form is now.

In fact, I'm still trying to understand why ANet had to introduce PvE-Only skills and Consumables...

Ohhhh I forgot it doesn't lower damage from conditions, and right EBSoH is insane at helping stuff. My bad.

And yeah, SCs are the only issue that's plaguing PvE because they take notice of a completely broken game mechanic and then abuse the living hell out of it. Funny thing, ANet, indefinite invincibility with a minimum of cost is never a good thing. I suppose 55ing is still somewhat viable but why would you bother when there is a so-much-better way of farming.

if not for Dhuum...yeah, the game economy would be right back where it was when SF farming became popular. Ectos were absolutely ridiculous at that point because EVERYONE could roll an A/E, get a run to ToA, and be farming the shit out of them within a few minutes. Granted Ursan Blessing had this kind of issue too, but it (as you said) was nerfed out of existence. The problem is that I have no clue what to do to Shadow Form to keep it a viable skill; at this point it basically needs to be [url=http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Smiter%27s_Boon_(PvP)]Smiter's Boon'd[/url] (someone tell me what's wrong with that URL, I'm positive it's formatted correctly) until someone can take the time to fix it.

Consets help SCs but that's it. I mean, honestly, do you ever use them in any area in normal play? What area is there that isn't easily beaten using Discordway/Sabway/etc for regular PvE, and what isn't easily farmed using something Shadow Form related? Even high end PvE barely needs consets, they just make it a little easier.

Whee having technical discussions that hardly anybody will understand!
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Qhorin  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
at this point it basically needs to be Smiter's Boon'd.

There's no need to do a radical nerf. Just a funcionality change will be enough (Ray of Judgement, Whirlwind axe, etc.).

this1neguy wrote:
Consets help SCs but that's it. I mean, honestly, do you ever use them in any area in normal play? What area is there that isn't easily beaten using Discordway/Sabway/etc for regular PvE, and what isn't easily farmed using something Shadow Form related? Even high end PvE barely needs consets, they just make it a little easier.

You don't know how dumb people is. Some people in the clan I was member, used conset to complete Minister Cho Estate in HM (And they wanted to use Shadow Form there >_>).

Yeah, too many people (ab)use consets, to the point that some people can't do any vanquish nor any HM cooperative without them.
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qhorin wrote:
this1neguy wrote:
at this point it basically needs to be Smiter's Boon'd.

There's no need to do a radical nerf. Just a funcionality change will be enough (Ray of Judgement, Whirlwind axe, etc.).

this1neguy wrote:

You don't know how dumb people is. Some people in the clan I was member, used conset to complete Minister Cho Estate in HM (And they wanted to use Shadow Form there >_>).

Yeah, too many people (ab)use consets, to the point that some people can't do any vanquish nor any HM cooperative without them.

Curious as to what the functionality change could be, though, because I don't know how you can keep a skill called Shadow Form and not have it at least somewhat true to name. I suppose they could decrease the duration so it's not maintainable; or they could turn it into WoW's Shadowform which would be a huge functionality change that would essentially turn it into a Healer's Boon for sins.

Yeah, consets kill PvE. I'd rather just use Discordway and pwn faces in HM instead of wasting huge amounts of gold and materials just to make it a little easier.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Tahmer  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember buying this game and expecting some decent MMO action for $20, and no monthly fee. I was half right. Being a PvP based game I should've known from the start I wasn't going to enjoy it much.

I have Factions, and while the time I did spend with it PvEing was enjoyable, I just can't get over the level 20 cap. The main thing I love about RPGs is just leveling and leveling and leveling for hours, days, and maybe even months, but when I can get to the level cap in the matter of a week or two, that's where boredom and mediocracy strikes me.

Although, I will say it is a darn good game being free of monthly fees and all. I should try installing it again and giving it another try, it's just that only one of my friends has it, and he never plays it anymore, and playing alone is quite frankly a huge bore.
Qhorin  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Curious as to what the functionality change could be, though, because I don't know how you can keep a skill called Shadow Form and not have it at least somewhat true to name.

As some people said, Shadow Form has to be a Form (something like Dervish's Avatars). After that, convert damage to Shadow, or increase damage and have resistances to damage, or whatever. It would be useful for "normal" PvE, and it won't be an "iWin" button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: