ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Top 5 Games of 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly wrote:
2. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS) - a game that was released without any fanfare, promotion or hype, thought up by the genius behind the Ace Attorney series. An excellent storyline combined with innovative gameplay elements combine to make this the best DS title released this year.

Came here to post this, one of the most unnoticed games of the year but really interesting and fun to play. If you have a DS and liked Ace Attorney it would be a crime not to pick this up (and, even though it came out last year, 999 as well).

OP's list seems to be about my list (minus shooters since I didn't buy or play any this year), but I would add L.A. Noire to my top 5 though I can understand people's gripes with it. I really liked L.A. Noire for a lot of reasons, I'd much more likely play that game again than GTA4. Since I love mystery and suspense games and Ace Attorney, naturally I love L.A. Noire and I'm a lot more forgiving with its flaws than some people. Deus Ex seems to be worth an honorable mention as well, although I haven't played very far in that because I honestly got really into Batman and Skyrim which I bought soon after.

I enjoyed Minecraft as well, although I didn't get very into it because I hate having to look at a wiki to play the game - if they incorporate recipes and other such into into the UI of the game I would probably play it a lot because being creative is fun.

As far as unique games, I really like Catherine and it deserves at least an honorable mention or a #6 spot on the bottom of my list. Though it is such a weird game I can't really recommend it without knowing who I am recommending it to. Definitely worth a rental if you like puzzle games and if you're old enough to appreciate relationship drama in video game form. It's such a bizarre combo but it somehow works: some crazy shit happens in real life, the dude goes to sleep and you play puzzles in his nightmares, and the rewards for beating these relentless puzzles is getting to see what happens next in the real-life drama. The puzzles are REALLY tough on higher difficulties so it's not for the faint of heart. This game made me excited about Persona 5 though, definitely.

Arbitrary list for people who like lists.
1. Skyrim - This and Fallout are the only games that I've literally gotten lost in and will do tasks in the game because I want to, not because it's part of a main story or for an achievement. As an achievement whore this is a milestone.
2. Batman - It's simple, you must play the Batman.
3. Portal 2 - Not a weaker game than Portal 1, IMO. Played this over again several times already, the dialogue and additions were absolute perfection.
4. LA Noire - I love mystery/detective games. Yup.
5. Ghost Trick - Really interesting from start to finish. Don't let someone spoil it for you, buy it now.

Honorable Mentions:
Catherine - Weird game, but I love puzzles.
Deus Ex - Fun so far, haven't gotten too far though.
Pokemon Black - My first Pokemon game, so of course it was awesome.
Minecraft - Fun, but it needs to be more user-friendly and less reliant on wikis and guides.

Games I Want to Play but Haven't:
Halo CE:A
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Zelda: Skyward Sword

Biggest Disappointment:
Dead Space 2 - Haven't beaten it yet, but the scares are now so tiresome and predictable, I actually dread playing this game to completion (if I remember correctly, I'm probably stuck on a part with a million enemies and no health packs or something, too). I actually did enjoy the first game, but this game just feels so contrived and like more of the same. It feels really hard but I guess when I do beat it I'll feel accomplished.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost thought about Deus Ex for honorable mentions, but I didn't finish the game, so I didn't feel like I could put it up. I know some people loved the shit out of it, but I only thought it was okay. While it gave options to go either straight shooter or stealth, there were sections that kinda forced you into straight combat and I find that really lame, since the game is a weak straightforward shooter, but a great stealth game. Didn't help that they farmed out the bosses to a different company, which was ridiculously stupid.
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about this for a fair while last night, and realised just how few new games I played this year (ignoring XBLA titles, I love me some XBLA titles). I spent most of the last year just playing much older titles (whether I'd bought them this year or not), but there were some new titles that I've played this year. No real order to it, just a list of cool stuff I played this year. Heck, there'll probably be more than 5 games here!

Stuff that came out in 2011 that I liked!

Dynasty Warriors 7
Shocking to see this on my list, I'm sure. Can you say "Best Story Mode ever in DW history"? They seriously did an AMAZING job with the story mode, and it was also great finally hearing something about Jin's storyline (and the fact that Jin is even in this game). More of the delicious hack-slash shenanigans that I've come to know and love.

Mortal Kombat
He who was banned from Australia. Pretty sure customs (or whoever) gave a shit about that for all of 2 weeks or something. But anywho. More mindless blood spilling fun. I would've probably played it more online if not for the fact that it was almost impossible for me to even PLAY with anybody online. Oh, and the story mode was beautifully done. One of these days I'll get around to getting Your Kung Fu Is Stronger. One day...

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax
Okay, so I'm somewhat cheating with this entry given that the XBLA title is pretty much a re-release of the PSP title from years ago with a few modifications. But whatever, this is MY list :P The concept of "completing an RPG in 30 seconds" was quite intriguing to me so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it out. Immediately fell in love with the game. Loved the credits that rolled at the end of each stage. Loved how each stage had their own unique twists. Loved the Time Goddess. Loved Hero 300. Loved Hero 3. Loved the music. If more people actually played online I'd probably even love the multiplayer aspect more. The best part though: after getting all the achievements within the first couple days, Jed and I sat there for a good solid month just speedrunning the game. Yep, speedrunning an RPG. On paper that doesn't sound fun, but honestly, trying to get the best times on every single stage was probably the most addicting thing I've done all year. Figuring out optimal equipments, finding neat little tricks everywhere, even to the point of forcing specific "random encounters" for the sake of levelling up quicker/easier. Fun stuff.

Rock of Ages
This was quite the unique experience imo. Roll a boulder down a pathway and destroy your opponent's gate before he does the same to you. You can place shit in each other's path to hinder one's progress too. Simple, yet thoroughly addicting. The "boss fights" were quite entertaining given the premise of the game. The little storyboard things before each stage were all hilarious. Music's fantastic. The best part though was getting all the keys and all the gold medals. One of the more satisfying accomplishments of 2011 for me alongside getting Grand Pooh-Bah in Hexic. About 3 or 4 of the keys were a pain in the arse to pick up (the rest were just a simple case of looking around where you'd otherwise not roll), a couple of them required a little trick that you'd either accidentally come across or probably not at all. The REAL satisfaction came from getting gold on all the stages. A lot of them were real pains in the arse. Needed a fair few daredevilish moves to get the target times, alongside the obligatory "near perfect control/execution" expected of a time trial aspect of a game. Definitely worth it.

The Baconing
Just more DeathSpank goodness. I love DeathSpank, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Baconing. There was a LOT more dying in this game than in the previous two titles, and the shield was actually pretty bloody useful this time around! Same amazing sense of humour (its amazing to me, hush :P). Same simplistic gameplay. Just more of the same awesomeness I've come to expect from these guys.

Bastion
Let's face it. The narration really makes the game. Enjoyed the game play and all, but REALLY loved the narration.

Ultimate Marvel v Capcom 3
I'll be honest, I picked this game up purely because of Phoenix Wright's inclusion. True story. Now, I'm not even close to the level of gameplay as the kiddies that sit in the MvC3 thread here. I'm not even sure how I have 26 wins online with my awesome team of Ryu/Akuma/Haggar. Regardless of how terribad I am at the game though, I love it.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection gets a mention too even though its just a collection of 3 titles from 15+ years ago. It was fun reliving ye very olde school MK. Not necessarily as fun reliving the cheap very old school MK though haha.

Stuff that came out in 2011 that I didn't like!

All Blacks Rugby Challenge
I'm gonna cheat and copy/paste the rant I had on this game posted from a TA blog back in September:
Quote:
Much like Rugby World Cup 2011, I figured this would be a decent game of rugby, especially considering Sidhe did already provide me with what I felt to be a decent and enjoyable enough games in the Rugby League titles for the PS2 many moons ago... and here is where the sad face occurs. This game is flatout terrible. There is no way that players should be dropping the ball at the ridiculous extent that you do in this game when the conditions are perfect. The number of times I've won a lineout, only for the ball to be thrown back to the middle of nowhere and scooped up by the opposition is just horrendous. Heck, just the general positioning of players during the course of a match is completely off-key. The number of times I'd try to spread the ball out wide only to either a) pass the ball to the ground when there's clearly someone nearby that I was actually hoping to pass to (and this happens a RIDICULOUS amount of times), or b) pass the ball out wide only to find that there's nobody out there even though there's a ridiculous amount of space out wide, is absolutely ridiculous. Rucks end up being somewhat of a crapshoot half the time because of the aforementioned poor positioning of players. I was excited about this game too because it even had the Super Rugby and ITM Cup competitions, but that matters for nothing when the actual gameplay is so irritatingly craptastic. It was almost as if they'd rushed the title just so it could go face-to-face with RWC2011. If that was the intention, I'd like to think that RWC2011 just ran this into the ground. On the flipside though, I will admit that the Catt Memorial Service achievement made me laugh (it will only make sense to those who recall the 1995 World Cup, specifically New Zealand v England). I thought that was pretty cool. But otherwise a terrible terrible title, and even worse knowing that 3 of the achievements are seemingly unobtainable/glitched/fucked/whathaveyou. The only other achievement I have remaining outside of those 3 is the 25 online games, and goodness knows I won't be playing 24 more anytime soon (read: ever), although that is mainly due to the amazing lag I get thanks to being in lolstralia.

Since then, the glitched achievements have been fixed, which is nice, but I'll still be damned if I ever play it online again heh.

I honestly cannot think of anything else I played that came out this year that I didn't enjoy at all. I have Rage and didn't honestly mind it, although I've still yet to actually beat it.

Things that didn't come out in 2011 that I enjoyed in 2011!
(aka. Late to the party? Whachu talkin' about, better late than never I always say!)

Borderlands
People had only been bugging me since day 1 to get this. Glad I finally did at the start of the year. Amazing game (and even more fun with a friend as I found out), and I generally don't play shooters, hence the lack of big name titles in my list above. Soooooo excited for Borderlands 2!

The rest of the Phoenix Wright series
Specifically Trials & Tribulations, Apollo Justice, and Edgeworth's game. I've had Trials & Tribulations and Apollo for the longest time, but never got around to playing them until this year (mainly in anticipation of UMvC3 haha), and bought a copy of Edgeworth's game online as soon as I finished Apollo Justice. I'm sure I don't really need to go into how amazing the storyline is for this entire series, and I quite enjoyed Edgeworth's game too despite the different twist to the game so to speak.

Puzzle Quest
Actually only bought this a few days ago randomly on XBLA. I enjoy Bejeweled and the like, so this seemed like a no brainer to me. I'm amazed by just how much one can do in the game. Once I complete this, I'll pick up the second title too and blow through that as well. And then I'll likely just play through both again with every class just because I can. My last achievement for 2011 was in fact from this game. Chances are I'll go back to it some more once I press submit here >_>

Pokemon HeartGold
I've thoroughly enjoyed Pokeymanz in the past. In recent years though I've just not put the time and effort into them at all. The last Pokemon game I played thoroughly was Sapphire, and that was aided by the fact that a friend of mine was also playing the same generation at the same time. The last Pokemon games I bought were Diamond and Pearl on release, and I've barely touched either. I was so very excited about HG/SS when they were announced given how much I THOROUGHLY enjoyed Gold a million years ago, but never bought it when it came out. Only reason I have them both now is because I found them on some random website for $10 a pop, when you're STILL looking at about $50 each here in stores. I figured why the hell not. It's been great reliving Gold, and the new features in this are great (mainly the Pokemarathon or whatever its called, that's actually awesome fun!). Last I played, I was on the verge of nabbing my 8th badge.

There are probably a bunch of other games that fit the above category that I just can't think of. Eh.

These lists don't look anything like anybody else's and I wouldn't expect it to. No interest in Portal 2. Zelda's never really done much for me. I don't play many shooters at all (and that's despite Borderlands probably being one of the best games I've played this year) so I didn't play any of the big name shooters that came out in a heap a couple months ago. If I ever do play Arkham City, it'll be after whatever year I decide to actually finish Asylum. Skyrim doesn't do much for me. So the big list of big name games that came out one after another really did nothing for me haha. All I'm looking forward to at this point though is Borderlands 2 and Final Fantasy XIII-2. Everything else will just be me playing catch-up as always, and randomly purchasing things wherever I see fit.
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late notice, much?

Anyways, if you go to the below link there is a contest for you to write a review of your favorites games from 2012 and the winners will receive a game of their choosing... enjoy!

http://raptr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18003?utm_source=email&utm_medium=emailnewsletter&utm_campaign=dec16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depressed not to see any mention of my GOTY, Rayman Origins, the best side-scrolling platformer since Super Mario World. Honorable mentions would go to Skyward Sword and Bastion.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpusCollosum wrote:
Depressed not to see any mention of my GOTY, Rayman Origins, the best side-scrolling platformer since Super Mario World. Honorable mentions would go to Skyward Sword and Bastion.

Rayman Origins is in my cue to play list.

psxfreak, that's because Haggar's lead pipe is amazing. XD

I can't really think of a list, as I honestly don't play too many new games.

Pinball FX 2: The core game is a year old, but the tables released in 2011 were spectacular. The tables released right before the new year are the best ones they made yet, with X-Men being my favorite table right now on the game.

Battlefield 3: I have been playing it on and off, and I absolutely love it. SO much more difficult than MW3, and playing as an engineer in a tank is amazing.

Deathsmiles 2x: Best shmup of the year. I would say DoDonPachi Resurrection, but I honestly had more fun with this game, and DDP: Resurrection was a EUR only release.

King of Fighters XIII: Best fighter of the year. They really raised the bar from the last two stinkers, and this one is a gem. Marvel is good... but this is better IMO. Classic fighting style, a throw does not mean 3/4 of your health is gone, and last but certainly not least, you can play both the classic style or the new style of combos/strategies and both are equally effective.

World of Tanks (PC): Its an MMOFPS tank game that gets better with every update. I really don't have to say much more than that. :-P
Klaww  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Skyrim was reeeeeeaaally disappointing to me. :P Its a great game, but overhyped to shit. Not as good as Fallout 3, imo.

1. Portal 2. Hands down. I've played the single player game 3-4 times and played multiplayer 4, working on the 5th.

2. Sonic Generations. I love this game. its pretty great, but veeeery short.

3. Super Mario 3D land. great mario game. brought me back to super mario 64 memories, but improved like crazy.

4. Rayman Origins. Pretty great game overall, best rayman game by far.

I haven't played any other games from '11 that deserve GOTY
I spent most of the year getting introduced to the FF series, so i was a little preoccupied.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of late discoveries, I bought Final Fantasy XIII last week because it was on offer. Holy shit, this game is amazing. I actually gave up Skyrim because I was hooked. So, forget this list, because the best game I've played this year is three years old.

..I'll make one anyway.

1. Skyrim
My first Elder Scrolls experience, I went into it not really expecting much, but I was immediately proved completely wrong. From the first 20 minutes I was hooked, and I started my third character yesterday. The immersion is just unmatched.

2. Shogun 2: Total War
It takes everything addictive about Rome Total War, combines it with everything that made Shogun so much of a power trip, and adds the little touches perfected in Empire and Napoleon to produce the best RTS I've ever played.

3. Portal 2
It's a Valve game. Everything else has been said already by other, more eloquent people.

4. Bulletstorm
Say what you like about it, but I really enjoyed this game's campaign. There's just something satisfying on a primal level about kicking the shit out of a guy, pulling him back for more, then kicking his arse through his skull again, then pulling him back yet again. The story might not have been Oscar-level, but if you go into a game like Bulletstorm expecting the story to be world-class, you've bought the wrong game.
Remote controlled dinosaurs. 'Nuff said.

Honourable Mention:
Mortal Kombat for letting me finally prove to my friend that being good at Street Fighter III doesn't make you good at every fighting game. FINISH HIM.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year:
Red Faction: Armageddon. That game was just horrible. All of it's attempts at atmosphere fell flat, any difficulty was crowbarred in by wave after wave of berserks, and the removal of free roam pretty much took away all of the pleasure of using the GeoMod. A real shame, because Guerilla was actually pretty good.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, after reading the thread I have one thing to say.

I've not come up with my complete top 5 yet, but I know that I'm not the only PC gamer on here. And yet not once do I see Witcher 2 mentioned (which would hands down be my #1 of the year). There's a reason why amongst the hardcore PC RPG crowd CDProjekt is thought to be replacing Bioware as the best story based RPG developer. Which is also largely due to the overwhelmingly horrific disappointment that was Dragon Age 2

For shame Scorehero, for shame.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:

I've not come up with my complete top 5 yet, but I know that I'm not the only PC gamer on here. And yet not once do I see Witcher 2 mentioned (which would hands down be my #1 of the year). There's a reason why amongst the hardcore PC RPG crowd CDProjekt is thought to be replacing Bioware as the best story based RPG developer. Which is also largely due to the overwhelmingly horrific disappointment that was Dragon Age 2

I just simply don't play RPG's. Sorry...

I play touhou, FPS's, arcade emulator, and in the groove 2.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:

I never played it. If there was one fantasy RPG I was gonna play this year, it was Skyrim, cause I saw alot that excited me. I saw some stuff on Witcher 2, but nothing looked that interesting with it. I've heard mixed stuff on it, so maybe one day I'll grab it, but I'm really not clamoring to jump into the game.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya if you're not an avid RPG fanatic you probably won't enjoy it for a few reasons.

1. Extremely long story that isn't clear how you're actions immediately affect it. Unlike Mass Effect which clearly labels certain options as evil/good, there is no such thing as good and evil in this game. And sometimes making a "good" decision will end up screwing everyone over and do far worse things the "evil" option. Not to mention there's god knows how many endings to the game, and some choices will completely change the 2nd and 3rd Acts.

2. The combat is equal to about Demon's Souls in terms of difficulty on the higher levels (especially Dark difficulty dear god it hurts).

3. If you don't know the novels that these are based off of (which are based off Polish folklore) you might be rather lost on alot of the minor points in the story, but will still get the main idea.

4. Lots of swearing, nudity, sex, violence, racism, sexism etc. etc. It's not exactly a game to play with the kids around.

All in all, it's taking the Bioware formula. With the combat/difficulty of Demon's Souls. And it's own twisted take on morals and good and evil (and characters that are actually realistic AKA. Everyone's an asshole). And for those that are interested the graphics are hands down the most amazing in any RPG, ever, while still being well optimized.

In otherwords, it's definitely in my top 3 games of all time. But if you didn't like Dragon Age: Origins or games along those lines you're REALLY going to dislike this.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against a good story and certainly don't require something to hold my hand through the story, so I could probably get into it and is the combat hard just for the higher difficulties? If it's reasonable on the lower difficulties, I'd much rather enjoy that, as Demons Souls difficulties is the opposite of fun for me in a video game lol I'd probably miss out with the novel stuff, but everything of four, I'm more than willing to have in a game.

I did think of grabbing it on the holiday Steam sale, but I was simply to broke to get it. Perhaps I still will on the next sale for it when I have the chance.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on easy it's quite easy, and on normal it's not bad.

Hard, insane (which not only is ball breakingly hard, but if you die it deletes all your saves) and dark though. Ya those hurt.
EmoArbiter  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really going to go into descriptions since most things have been said and I'm terrible at writing things like that but

1. Skyrim
2. Sonic Generations (Yes, I liked it that much)
3. Gears of War 3
4. Pokemon Black/White
5. Portal 2

Honorable Mention goes to Minecraft since I've had it since Alpha so it's not really registered as a 2011 release for me

I haven't played AC:R, Skyward Sword, or Arkham City yet, but have all 3 and will get around to them once the semester starts back up and I settle down

My accomplishments|Season 11 GHM Division 2 Winner
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Emo Arbiter Wii Friend Code: 2162307103708276
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: