Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Godspeed You! Black Emperor Reply with quote

Thread for the masters of Post-Rock. To sum them up, they are a "moody instrumental" band from Canada that recently regrouped and has started playing shows again (namely Coachella). Want an sample? Check out a favorite of mine: Sleep. Yes, you have to watch all 23 minutes of it. Hell, go out and buy the whole album and try it, I know you'll probably like it. If anything, find somewhere other than YouTube to listen to their absolutely beautiful music in a higher quality, since that's very important with these guys.

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but I would totally drop the $100 to buy (mostly) all of their discography on vinyl. Since I recently learned that a some of the movements on quite a few of their albums are different on vinyl, it has made me want them even more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Slow Riot
2) Lift Yr. Skinny Fists
3) F#A#∞
4) Yanqui OXO

COME AT ME BROS
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about All Lights Fucked. I'm sure there's some gems on that tape.

this1neguy wrote:
1) Slow Riot
2) Lift Yr. Skinny Fists
3) F#A#∞
4) Yanqui OXO

This.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Levez Vos Skinny Fists Comme Antennas to Heaven
2. Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada
3. Yanqui U.X.O.
4. F♯ A♯ ∞

I bet All Lights Fucked is the single most beautiful album ever written. Too bad nobody outside of the band's inner circle will ever hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you can consider F# to be their worst album is completely beyond my ability to comprehend, Greg. I mean yeah it's not my favorite, but it's still better than Yanqui.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F#
Skinny Fists
Slow Riot
Yanqui

...I think. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably say something different, and again the day after that, etc.

I'd love to see these live. Saw the offshoot band of many names (at that time calling themselves simply A Silver Mt. Zion) and met one of the violinists a few years ago, which was nice.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave a few of their songs a quick listen, but didn't find it interesting at all, so I'll pass. I'll leave them to you guys lol
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cap'n wrote:
F#
Skinny Fists
Slow Riot
Yanqui

Wow, what a standard ordering >_> F# and LYSF are almost always the top 2, it seems, outside of, well, the people who have already posted in this thread. Can't complain, though, as they're both great albums.

MSH-Hitman wrote:
Gave a few of their songs a quick listen, but didn't find it interesting at all, so I'll pass. I'll leave them to you guys lol

That's okay, we don't want you here anyway.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:

So you didn't listen to one of their songs all the way through? You are doing it very, very wrong.

this1neguy wrote:
How you can consider F# to be their worst album is completely beyond my ability to comprehend, Greg. I mean yeah it's not my favorite, but it's still better than Yanqui.

Some people argue that since the album is very "off the cuff" for them it is very boring, but I personally find it to show just how much talent they have. The album is kinda long winded, even for them, but I really enjoy a lot of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
MSH-Hitman wrote:

So you didn't listen to one of their songs all the way through? You are doing it very, very wrong.

Just didn't hear anything that made it seem worth listening to all the way through Alot of ambiance, noise, and stuff that just seemed to last awhile, but didn't feel like it went anywhere. I went back and listened through most of Sleep, but I was just bored. If this is what Post-Rock is, it's just not for me in anyway lol
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
GregoryZero wrote:
MSH-Hitman wrote:

Just didn't hear anything that made it seem worth listening to all the way through Alot of ambiance, noise, and stuff that just seemed to last awhile, but didn't feel like it went anywhere. I went back and listened through most of Sleep, but I was just bored. If this is what Post-Rock is, it's just not for me in anyway lol

Could give Storm (my personal favorite) or Moya (only ten minutes, their second shortest song) a shot. (I'm not mentioning the only song shorter than Moya because it's from Yanqui. >__>)

Post rock is all about sonic textures, and usually involves slow buildups (hell, Storm's is like 7-10 minutes for just the first buildup) or general ambiance. Sigur Ros tend to have shorter songs but they don't have the buildups, since those work better with the time frames GYBE works with. It's an oddly diverse genre.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Could give Storm (my personal favorite) or Moya (only ten minutes, their second shortest song) a shot. (I'm not mentioning the only song shorter than Moya because it's from Yanqui. >__>)

Post rock is all about sonic textures, and usually involves slow buildups (hell, Storm's is like 7-10 minutes for just the first buildup) or general ambiance. Sigur Ros tend to have shorter songs but they don't have the buildups, since those work better with the time frames GYBE works with. It's an oddly diverse genre.

Thanks for being less defensive about my opinion. Wasn't going after the band or anyone if that is what the others were thinking, was just stating what I thought. For me, I'm more about the more traditional setup for music and if I wanted a more cohesive 10 to 20 minute song, I'll go with something from like Rush. I'll give Storm a check, but to me, the buildups don't seem to lead to a payoff for me.
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second inv4der in suggesting Moya. It's shorter than most of their songs but it still has something of the traditional GY!BE composition. Slow Riot is probably more accessible than either of their other available albums, in fact, simply because the song lengths are not so forbidding.

(also if you couldn't tell, I wasn't being serious in my prior post. anyone can like or dislike any band they want, I don't really care.)

I might buy Slow Riot on vinyl sometime here soon. Hrm. Should really get on that.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Xtresso  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
I would second inv4der in suggesting Moya. It's shorter than most of their songs but it still has something of the traditional GY!BE composition. Slow Riot is probably more accessible than either of their other available albums, in fact, simply because the song lengths are not so forbidding.

(also if you couldn't tell, I wasn't being serious in my prior post. anyone can like or dislike any band they want, I don't really care.)

I might buy Slow Riot on vinyl sometime here soon. Hrm. Should really get on that.

I'd recommend F sharp A sharp on vinyl, it's cool because it's all different :3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually true for most of their albums, so why limit yourself to just one!?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: