ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
vVv's GH Invitational - All Tournament Videos Are Now Up!!! (3/22/12)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confury's comeback was hands down the best part of that tournament

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
toymachine  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the SFTSG solo FC
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
what about the SFTSG solo FC

Not to mention smoky FCing FotS solo I after missing almost everywhere else

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE 6:

So we're now, slowly but surely, editing and uploading the videos from the event. Keep in mind that we have 7 hours of footage to go through and edit and upload, so it't going to take a little while.

We will be uploading all videos to the Official vVv Youtube Channel, so please subscribe so you can see all the videos from the tournament as they are uploaded.

To start, here are the the videos of the first round between andpg09 and vVv Sintherius!

Song 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiH82etjv6U
Song 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIA-eo5BWc
Song 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_QBZIi_sA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this was going to be pretty pointless, especially the commentary, but I just watched the very first video and I actually got excited. xD This guy missed a note... oh no, but the other guy missed a note now! He's in front, but the other guy doesn't know the SP path! I fear I'll be watching every video from start to end, that first video was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BloodyFistHole wrote:
Thought this was going to be pretty pointless, especially the commentary, but I just watched the very first video and I actually got excited. xD This guy missed a note... oh no, but the other guy missed a note now! He's in front, but the other guy doesn't know the SP path! I fear I'll be watching every video from start to end, that first video was a lot of fun.

That's exactly what we were hoping when putting this together. I mean, imagine watching an NFL game without commentators or something along those lines. Not nearly as good. Another thing to consider is that if one player is clearly better than the other and there's a huge blowout, most people probably wouldn't care or would just stop watching, but in that case than the commentators can bring up other instances of when a player came from behind to win or other events that they had participated in and help keep people interested.

At least the way we figured it was, at this point, everyone knows what pretty much all the songs sound like, so commentary is much more important. And the video you watch was of one of the easiest songs in the tournament and it was still more entertaining to watch than many other tournament matches (at least in my opinion). There were some absolutely INSANE matches played, especially later on in the tournament, and people have already been talking a lot about them, so I can't wait for those to get edited and uploaded.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to Brock, but I think paradise did a much better job with the commentary than he did. I think I heard that Brock was lagging? but regardless he seemed to be at a total loss for words many a time throughout the tournament. If you guys decide to do this again I think it would be helpful to adopt the play-by-play/color man model, and have Brock prepare some stats/anecdotes/curios beforehand to talk about so that he doesn't seem so lost all the time.

elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballcenter7 wrote:
No offense to Brock, but I think paradise did a much better job with the commentary than he did. I think I heard that Brock was lagging? but regardless he seemed to be at a total loss for words many a time throughout the tournament. If you guys decide to do this again I think it would be helpful to adopt the play-by-play/color man model, and have Brock prepare some stats/anecdotes/curios beforehand to talk about so that he doesn't seem so lost all the time.

i volunteer to commentate the next one. it will be very colorful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
newuser1234  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elScarecrow wrote:
bballcenter7 wrote:

i volunteer to commentate the next one. it will be very colorful.

you+smoky for the next one.

but i personally liked brock better because he wasn't filling every second with annoying filler. i know thats the job of a commentator but i prefer quality over quantity in this case. for example, i understand explaining a few things but i feel like paradise was explaining seriously everything--for those of you who don't know, you hold down buttons and strum to get points, etc etc. obviously im exaggerating but the only people who were on that stream are way too familiar with gh and don't need those tidbits.

tl;dr - i prefer silence over talking just to talk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newuser1234 wrote:
but i personally liked brock better because he wasn't filling every second with annoying filler. i know thats the job of a commentator but i prefer quality over quantity in this case. for example, i understand explaining a few things but i feel like paradise was explaining seriously everything--for those of you who don't know, you hold down buttons and strum to get points, etc etc. obviously im exaggerating but the only people who were on that stream are way too familiar with gh and don't need those tidbits

I felt the same way, but I feel like that's a problem with commentary in general more than paradise's fault. I guess I can see having one or two guys there to be visually and audibly excited over legitimately exciting things, but other than that there's really not much to say about watching two people hit the same buttons at the same time, so most of the talking was unnecessary.

I should clarify that this mostly concerns the talking during the song, not in between (that was typically interesting or at least didn't feel like filler).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.. I really wanted to do this .. I had other things I absolutely had to do this weekend (that weren't nearly as fun I imagine), otherwise I totally would have joined. I would have gotten mutilated sure.. But it's an honor just to be invited

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on the commentary!

So to start, definitely don't feel like you're hurting my feelings when you say that Paradise seemed more natural and just overall better at commentating. Paradise has hosted and produced 104 regular episodes and 7 special episodes of our podcast "The Losers Bracket," which discusses news and interviews people everywhere in the competitive gaming scene. He's been doing that for well over two years with no breaks and this event was actually the first time I've ever commentated during an event. Even at the beginning of the tournament we basically agreed that he was going to be sort of the head commentator and do most of the commentating and I would come in more so to discuss the players themselves, the particular song, etc.

Something that I don't think most people know that a couple people had mentioned is that the stream was lagging for me from the start. Even when we first started at around 5:30 EST, Jason started talking to everyone on stream and our pictures didn't even pop up for another 20 seconds. This obviously presented a problem for me as I needed to talk about and react to things before I could actually see them happen, so I pretty much just went by what Jason said. Like if some misses a note somewhere I need to picture where he probably missed and just think ahead in the song maybe where he could gain those points back or something like that. If we do this again, we're definitely going to have to find a better way to do that.

Another things people probably didn't know was that I originally was going to play in the tournament and we were going to have two other commentators along with Jason. The problem was that, to be a good commentator for this event, you really needed 4 things to really be good.

1) Knowledge of the game
2) Knowledge of the community and tournament scene
3) Good chemistry with the other commentator(s)
4) Experience commentating and feeling natural live on camera

Other than Jason, there really wasn't any other person anywhere we could think of, and the best people we could think of were already playing in the tournament. We obviously didn't want the top players to drop out just to commentate when they would do much more good for us playing in the event. I have 1-3 pretty much locked down, so despite how much I really don't like being in front of the camera, I was still probably the best person that wasn't also playing.

As a spectator, I think the biggest thing to remember about this event is that many of spectators for the event really knew little or nothing about player Guitar Hero at the top level. We had over 500 people on stream at one point, and a large chunk of them not only had never seen a GH tournament but had never even seen top players play. Because we had so many CoD palyers, SC2 players, players from the fighting game community, etc, we had to explain a lot of the things that most of us would consider common sense. (Just a side note, if some asks in chat was an FC means, just tell them, don't give some fake answer to mess with them. I could only interact with chat so much during matches since it was just us two commentators doing everything, so especially having so many veteran members in the stream I was hoping that wouldn't have been a problem.) Anyway, it was still a fun tournament and really didn't have any problems during the event. Usually during first events there are streaming issues, problem recording, problems with the players, etc., but we really didn't have any of those. At the very least, we've shown that a lot of people will still tune in to watch a live Guitar Hero tournament even if they don't play the game. Hopefully this will lead to bigger things in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chatroom, from what I saw, wasn't too bad throughout the tournament. There was the occasional fanboy yelling about why ggamer was ranked so low, or why Phenom wasn't in the tournament, but besides those little problems, the people in the chat were actually mature. With the whole "What's an FC" thing, I saw most people (including myself) actually give the right response. =P

When it comes to commentating Guitar Hero tournaments, it's never been done before, so obviously it's going to seem a bit off and both Paradise and Brock went in the opposite extremes. (Paradise talking a little too much, and Brock not talking enough.) I'm sure if a few more commentating Guitar Hero tournaments were to happen, things would come a little more natural to them. Let's not forget, neither of them have or are going to broadcasting school.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
The chatroom, from what I saw, wasn't too bad throughout the tournament. There was the occasional fanboy yelling about why ggamer was ranked so low, or why Phenom wasn't in the tournament, but besides those little problems, the people in the chat were actually mature.

Yeah I saw some of that. It seemed like no matter how many times and how clearly I tried to explain how different playing in a tournament is compared to playing and FCing crazy custom songs is, people just couldn't/wouldn't understand. There's a reason he was such a low seed, and our seeding ended up being pretty good for the most part (ggamer lost both of his matches even), and Jason and I were first and fourth in the bracket prediction contest (funny side note, Acai28's mom was third ), so we were trying to get people to understand that being able to FC Soulless 3 and Misadventure, as absolutely insane achievements are those are, actually means very little in tournament play. If our event was to give everyone a crazy custom to see who could FC it first, then sure, ggamer probably would have been the top seed, but that's not what GH tournaments are. Doing something like that would be like having field goal kickers in football just keep kicking over and over again to see who can kick the farthest giving them unlimited tries. Some people would like watching that, but there's more to just FCing difficult songs to win, as this tournament helps prove.

And as for Danny, well, it would be one thing if he told us he didn't want to participate for whatever reason, but ignoring multiple messages from us made it pretty clear he didn't want anyone to see him play in a tournament. Maybe he found out f4phantom was participating and didn't want a repeat of the last/only tournament he played in.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to post this...

UPDATE 7:

Paradise wrote up an article with the full results and specific highlights from the tournaments. As a special bonus, we decided to go ahead and upload the final song of the event and embed it in the article! The rest of the videos will come, but we figured we shouldn't make people wait for this one

Full Article!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newuser1234 wrote:
you+smoky for the next one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: