ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Just moved to the Sacramento, CA area!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosstopher  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Just moved to the Sacramento, CA area! Reply with quote

So, I'm not very prominent around these parts anymore, but I've just moved to the Northern California area with my friend Zac, and we're both pretty big into gaming. We just started playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero together, and we've been talking about meeting other gamers to play with, either online or in person.

We live up in Roseville and are up for weekend get together or just online play. Zac really likes to sing, and I kind of just do whatever else, but we would love to get a full thing going just for fun.

Not really a scheduled thing, more of a shout out to anyone in the area who wants to play some games together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't a precise geographic fit for you, but if you're willing to slog down towards the Greater Bay Area, there's actually something of a robust rhythm gaming community there, with three-to-four dozen active and semi-active participants. Among other things that happen regularly, in loose order from most to least populated:

- A quarterly Pan-Bay Rock Band Get-Together in Foster City. People chip in cash to cover the venue cost, arrive with foodstuffs to nosh on, bring along favorite beverages alcoholic and otherwise - it's a big ol' potluck jamboree. Awesome times. No hard date on when the next one is yet - "early May", probably.

- Rock Band Nights at the Fly Bar in San Francisco (Sutter at Larkin) on Sunday nights, roughly every third weekend. It's usually just free-play and good times, with the intermittent "get together a band and win $50 in bar tab!" event thrown into the mix. Next event there is on Sunday 4/22.

- Guitar Hero / Rock Band Nights at the Stork Club in Oakland (on Telegraph). Usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, as I recall. Next one is at 8pm on Wednesday 4/4.

- Random one-off events that get posted to meetup.com. Someone is celebrating moving to a new apartment! Someone is in the mood to be all crazy go-nuts on knocking out achievements! That sort of thing, catch as catch can. I don't believe there's anything currently scheduled, though there are tentative plans to have an event in San Jose on Saturday 4/28 if we can find a venue.

Not that any of this involves a light little drive from freakin' Roseville, I know - stupid oversized Bay Area - but if you're seeking Guitar Hero / Rock Band folks, there's definitely a collection of us out there.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Rosstopher  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this definitely sounds fun. I was originally from the St. Louis area, which was surprisingly dry for events and meet ups. Aside from the awesome MuDvAyNe and Jordanpwnsme, I hardly met anyone down that way.

I would really like to hear more about the big jamboree you mentioned. My room mate doesn't play a whole lot, but he loves to sing. So we would definitely both be into something like that.

And even the meet up for Rock Band night at the Fly Bar sounds do able. Any information you can give (I know you've already given a lot ha ha) is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, not a problem. As best I can tell, the whole "my area doesn't have a lot of overt rhythm gaming enthusiasts" is more the rule than the exception. The Bay Area has enough people to lash together an active community, and it seems like Greater NYC and maybe Boston do as well... but in many places, it's a "there are four ScoreHero people I know and that's it" sort of affair. 'Swhy I'm always trying to be an ombudsman of sorts and get some fresh faces into the fold.

The quarterly jamboree is a pretty awesome affair. There's a list where you sign up for which songs you want to play - up to three songs, ten-minute setlist cap - and which instrument slots you already have filled. Maybe you have a Full Awesome Band who wants to play together; maybe you're just a vocalist who, when their name is called, will ask the crowd for "I need two guitarists and a drummer!" needs and volunteers will fill in. Either way, No Fail and All Instruments Mode are both turned on, because it is clearly a Rocking For Fun sort of event. Super good times.

Anyway: pretty much every event ends up being posted (or re-posted) in the Bay Area Rockers meetup.com group; it's free to join, and an easy way to keep tabs on pretty much anything that might pop up. If you're more of a Facebook person, I believe the Fly Bar SF group's page is located here and is openly joinable.

xAceofHartsx  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Console? Reply with quote

What console do you guys play on? I've been looking for more online people to play with over PSN :I

Also, I don't live too far from you guys (Stockton, CA here lol) so maybe a random get together would be cool too (x
Poetry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BIOxSLOTH PSN Name: BlO-SLOTH
youhas  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: I met the guy who's been the guitarist in many, many of my band-related hijinks at a Guitar Hero II tournament in Stockton, of all places.

Local folks play a random mix of consoles - probably somewhere between 60/40 and 50/50 between XBOX/PSN, not counting the one random Wii person kicking about. I don't know how often anybody plays socially online, though; I know a number of folks are of an "I only play multiplayer when we are all in one room being AWESOME!" mindset. So this may not help your online gaming life any, but it's a good incentive to show up at a random get-together sometime.

Next Rock Band SF Fly Bar event is on Sunday 4/22:
http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-RB-GH-Rockers/events/59748122/

Come on out; meet the group; hear everybody's wacky PAX East stories!

Rosstopher  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Console? Reply with quote

xAceofHartsx wrote:
What console do you guys play on? I've been looking for more online people to play with over PSN :I

Also, I don't live too far from you guys (Stockton, CA here lol) so maybe a random get together would be cool too (x

Sorry Ace, we play Xbox 360

I'll have to ask Zac about the bar night. I'm still searching for work out here, so it's pretty much on him to manage the transportation ha ha. But he seemed really interested in meeting people too. I'll for sure let you know if we can make it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: