ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Custom Super Mario 64 project?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Custom Super Mario 64 project? Reply with quote

Would anyone be interested in making custom levels for Super Mario 64? I think it could be a cool little thing - almost like a custom disc for Guitar Hero, each person who signs up to make a level could contribute their work to the thread, I could put it in this OP, and if enough people do it, we could each have an entire game with 15 levels all made by various community members. What do you guys think?

Are you new to or completely foreign to making custom Super Mario 64 levels? Here is a useful video to get you started. The tools are all listed on that video, but I'll make a list here anyway of what you need.

Note: I can't distribute the ROM here, but it's incredibly easy to find, so find that yourself.

Google Sketchup
Triangulation plugin for Sketchup (not needed, but helpful)
Object exporter plugin for Sketchup
Fraubers OBJ Importer v16
SM64 ROM Extender
PPF-O-Matic 3.0
Toad's Tool 64
Super Mario 64 Texture Pack

Essentially, what you do to make a level is make the skeleton of the level in Sketchup, put textures on it by importing them and using the paint bucket, then use Toad's Tool 64 to add all the "mario stuff" like enemies, blocks, stars, etc. Avoid circles in Sketchup - stick to polygons.

I don't know if I have any more to add. Even if not enough people are up for it to make a game, you can still make a level and post it online for others to use.

Level list (I want to make the ghost-themed level ):

5. Haunted Town (yksi-kaksi-kolme)
6. Hazy Maze Cave (PuppetMaster9)
8. Desert (Davers)
14. Tick Tock Clock (Qarx)

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs

Last edited by yksi-kaksi-kolme on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:52 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This...sounds awesome.

I'll see what I can do this weekend. Graduation and all.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't guarantee anything, but I will definitely take a look at this. I would like to place a hold on a Desert level if that's the case. If I find this to be too much for my liking, I'll let you know
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, this sounds fun . Can I reserve Tick Tock Clock? Despite having a great deal of trouble with it, it was one of my favorite stage growing up, the other possibly being Wet Dry World... which I also had a LOT of trouble with XD. Gonna have to come back to this later haha.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care which one you give me, but it probably won't be related to the level I'm reserving. I have an idea.

We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've started. This is actually quite fun! My only problem is actually creating INSIDE the pyramid. I'll figure it out soon though. Right now I'm still working on the whole outside of things. Here's a screenshot of what I have right now in sketchup:

Kind of hard to tell, but in the back right corner, that's where the oasis will be.

EDIT: Finished the inside of the pyramid. Wow. That was actually really hard to do. I should have designed the inside first and then drew the pyramid around it. Would have made it a thousand times easier.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice. Farther than I've gotten; so far I have a well and a couple houses plus the vague outline of the graveyard. I'm going on vacation for a week, but I am bringing my laptop, so on the car ride I will likely have some quality time to spend with Sketchup.

sorasgoof wrote:
I don't care which one you give me, but it probably won't be related to the level I'm reserving. I have an idea.

That's fine by me - I'll save you for last on the list in case others want to stick with the theme of the level in the actual game.

Also, if anyone wants to see a great example of a custom game, THABEAST721 has an LP of Super Mario 74 on youtube (sora, don't you have one too? I think I vaguely remember...) so you can see how Lugmillord's levels look. Maybe that will inspire you.

Last edited by yksi-kaksi-kolme on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I can't export my file because I don't have sufficient access to the OBJ Exporter plug-in. You have to request permission to download since I have the free version of sketchup. Looks like I'll be getting the pro version now Screenshot of the finished map in sketchup. Looks kind of bland right now, but keep in mind that there will be water and quicksand in different places! I've also got all 6 stars mapped out. Should be a pretty fun level! Star #6 is going to be a challenge I think

Oh, and just in case you are wondering what the big gray thing is, that's the Temple Ruins of Ra. There is a star involving it!

EDIT: I found the plugin needed. So if you are still needing the OBJ Exporter plugin, then you can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0fwif312a5zjfcb
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fixed the link. Looks cool! My level will also involve a lot of tunnels - if it comes out as well as my imagination hopes, Mario will actually ground pound through blocks in front of the graves to go down into the catacombs and kill Boos.

Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to see the actual size of this level before editing anything else. Umm.....seems like I've run into a problem. lol

Hopefully there is a way to resize all of this

Also, if you hadn't chosen the haunted house level, I so would have taken it. It's by far my favorite in the game! Can't wait to see what you and the others work up

Also, just noticed, when you import it into the game, it mirrors the level. So be wary of that.

Last edited by Davers on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
TQSG  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Huge Desert I see. I might get in on this, but I haven't got the slightest idea of what to make.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: TQSG
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually do this, but..

OMGLOLOLOLOLOLOMGOLOLOL

...that was hilarious.

yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaling was something that always confused me. I think one of the tools in the OP lets you set a scale, but I'm not sure what number corresponds to a correct size... I'll have to look into it.

Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just now realized the scaling option in the Level Importer. I moved it from 1000 to 1500 and it's already a ton better. Still way too small though. lol At least it's a quick easy fix!

Also, for anyone that is somewhat scared or worried about how to do all of this, it's actually very simple. And a lot of fun to boot! If you have ever wanted to create a custom Mario 64 level, this is definitely the way to do it.

EDIT: Just about got it the right size. And wow, the "Pillars of Psamathe" star is going to be frustrating as hell. lol Those jumps are possible, but it's so incredibly easy to miss. Going to be frustrating since there is going to be quicksand underneath. lol

EDIT 2: Yeah, I might have to fix these jumps. I actually got them but after like 100 save states. My jump for the Temple Ruins has to be fix too. It's just a tad out of reach. Actually, it's probably doable, but I can't get it. In a few days, I might need a beta tester to check this level out And here are my stars:

1. Secret of the Pyramids
2. A-Maze-ing Red Coins
3. Scaling to the Tip
4. Temple Ruins of Ra
5. King Tut's Tomb
6. Pillars of Psamathe
7. 100 Coins

Last edited by Davers on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is going to suck more than I had originally planned it to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: