ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Longest Game Completion Time For You?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had Gran Turismo 4, it was one of the first games I had for PS2. And yeah, fuck completion on that game. I played it a LOT (it was probably the only driving game I was ever decent at). But trying to get those licenses was endlessly annoying.

Anyway, I used to consider a game "complete" (not just beat) by collecting all of the coins and extra stuff. Playing DKC2 with my husband, you can bet your ass we'd go back and die to retrive any KONG letters or bananas or coins or whatever. I'm sure if we just played through it to beat it we could do it well enough (or maybe not). But by this definition I've only ever totally completed a mere handful of games: DKC3, DK64, Ocarina of Time, Jak & Daxter (1 & 2) and Banjo Kazooie, (not Banjo Tooie because FUCK that last jiggy in Cloud Cuckoo Land!!!).

These days I consider a game done when I've gotten all the achievements, like skinnywhitecomic. By that definition I've only completed maybe 10-15 games on 360/PS3, and they are almost all rhythm games. Rhythm games are a weird mixture though. On the one hand, I FGFC'd Beatles on vocals and got almost all of the achievements, but there's no way I'll ever FC Helter Skelter on drums or get another human to sing the triple harmonies. But that game is complete as far as I'm concerned. :P

I think the craziest part about all this is how achievements have changed they way I play games and view games. I've put so many hours into Fallout New Vegas, for example, I've beat it 3 or 4 times at this point, but don't even have half of the achievements so I'm nowhere near done. In fact the idea of playing a game without achievements diminishes my interest in completing it entirely - which is actually kind of sad (Exceptions being visual novel/mystery/suspense types of games for the DS or PC, like Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick, 999 or Amnesia).

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Yeah, someone's been on Backloggery too long.
Fun fact, I've never actually been there haha.

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
Not sure if I ever found that one in ODA, but the other one that sucked was Orang-utan Gang (or something). There's five or six bonus levels, and one of them forces you to get the ostrich and go back to the beginning of the level. DKC2 was a cakewalk in comparison.
Yeah, the trick with that Oil Drum Alley one was that in the bonus stage where you had to match 3 of the same item, you had to match 3 single bananas. It'd spit out a barrel and you had to break the wall on the right. The catch though being that if you just picked up the barrel and threw it at the wall, the bonus stage would end, Donkey and/or Diddy would celebrate, and you'd be spat back out into the stage. So instead, with Diddy you had to pick up the barrel, jump up with it above the wall so that you're hugging the wall above it, and then crash into it, thus sliding through the hole once you land, right into the new bonus stage. There really were a few sneaky bastards in DKC like what you mentioned with Orang-utan Gang. Who puts 5 bonus stages in such a long stage anyways >: (

GuitarHailz wrote:
I think the craziest part about all this is how achievements have changed they way I play games and view games.
I actually made a blog post on TA about how much achievements have changed my gaming patterns last year. Those achievements are evil bastards sometimes. I spent the first, what, 18 years of my gaming life just fine without them, making my own little goals to aim for and whatnot, and now they take something of a priority more often than not these days. Truth be told, if it weren't for the fact that there's an achievement at the end of the tunnel, I probably wouldn't be chipping away at Bejeweled 2's Endless Mode trying to get to level 281. I thoroughly enjoy the art of matching gems, but I doubt I'd be trying to put something close to over 100 hours (that's how long I've worked out that it should take me given that I'm currently 45 hours into the grind, most people are quoted at 150-250 hours for the 280 levels) in an otherwise means without an end.

But yeah, achievements/trophies these days make for another easy measure of when a game is "complete". Although I definitely wouldn't say I've beat Avatar: The Burning Earth >__>
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To "beat" a game, whether it be Super Mario Bros 3 and you use warp whistles to get to World 8, or you play DKC2 and just beat King K. Rool, you've beaten the game. To "complete" a game, I consider getting all the secrets. As someone else mentioned, RPGs are a little different though. Some might not consider completing an RPG until you max all your characters out. But in a game like FFIII (SNES), that would take literally forever and a day since you have like 9 characters and some are just worthless and not worth the time.

Some might consider completing an RPG by not only beating the game, but also getting every item and spell but not maxing your character out. This is a whole lot easier but, again, can be a problem because games like Breath of Fire I on the SNES, some of the items that you can get can only be achieved at certain levels at the "trading post". They are items/weapons that you DON'T need to progress in the game. They just give the game more character and make it that much more fun. But if you pass a certain level without going back to the trading post, you missed out on certain items. So yeah, definitely a personal preference of completion when it comes to RPGs.

I did fully complete Chrono Trigger for the SNES though. I maxed out all my characters to level 99 and achieved every possible item including items you steal from bosses DURING battles. Even the last boss had a certain item you could steal from them even though you would never be able to use it because it was the end of the game.

Also, I'm 99.9% of the way done with Super Mario RPG. Maxed out all the characters, beat the game, and achieved every item - except that stupid Super Suit you get from 100 jumps Getting 30 jumps was hard enough, let alone having to do another 70 on top of all of that. Not sure if I'll ever actually obtain the suit, but I guess I'll keep trying *sigh*

psxfreak101 wrote:
Yeah, the trick with that Oil Drum Alley one was that in the bonus stage where you had to match 3 of the same item, you had to match 3 single bananas. It'd spit out a barrel and you had to break the wall on the right. The catch though being that if you just picked up the barrel and threw it at the wall, the bonus stage would end, Donkey and/or Diddy would celebrate, and you'd be spat back out into the stage. So instead, with Diddy you had to pick up the barrel, jump up with it above the wall so that you're hugging the wall above it, and then crash into it, thus sliding through the hole once you land, right into the new bonus stage.

Also, I think another catch here is that you have to do this trick the FIRST time you ever enter the level on a new save. If you beat the level, and then come back to get the secret, it won't allow you to do it. At least that's how I remember it. My cousin explained it to me a long time ago.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Also, I think another catch here is that you have to do this trick the FIRST time you ever enter the level on a new save. If you beat the level, and then come back to get the secret, it won't allow you to do it. At least that's how I remember it. My cousin explained it to me a long time ago.

nah, if you exit the level and go back, it will work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my SNES games, which I got around the time they came out, probably took me at least 10 years, since I didn't beat them until I was around 17 or 18. Two that come to mind are the Lion King and Jungle Book adaptations; both gave me quite a lot of grief trying to finish. Lion King because there was a stage late in the game that I didn't understand how to beat and would often just give up when I got to that point, and Jungle Book... well, let's just say a combination of a difficult boss "King Louie" and an auto-scrolling stage right before him caused many a game over >_>.

Jurassic Park Part II: The Chaos Continues is one that I haven't beaten legitimately, but the only cheat I used (the only one that I'm aware of) just gives you infinite continues. Not sure if I could beat it without it, especially since there's no save/password function, and there's no indicator of how many continues you have left or if you can get more >_>.

A game I have yet to beat legitimately is Toy Story on SNES, and let's just say that I probably will NEVER beat it legit. Why? Well, the final stage is essentially a high-speed auto-scrolling stage, with objects constantly getting in your way >_>. I actually couldn't even get THAT far without cheating because of another similar one a few stages before it. All I have to say is, whoever designed the Sid's House stages: FUCK YOU.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Carltheshredder  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Arms was a game I first played back around 2004-05 and just because of the fact that it has 42 missions and my lack of motivation has kept me from finishing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony8 wrote:
I haven't completed Crash Bandicoot: Warped yet. I think it's been about ten years since I got to the sixth warp room and never got everything, and that includes the gold relics (I don't remember if platinum relics exist in that game, lol).

They exist. There's only a few levels that I never Platinum'd, leaving me with 104% as opposed to the maximum of 105%.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just remembered; I NEVER use cheats to beat a game the first time. I have to beat the game first to prove I can do it cheat free before I can putz around and have infinite lives or a giant indestructible tank.

Also, another game I don't think I ever beat all the way through, because it has like 70 levels:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I may have made it past the giant baby ONCE. Even having cheats to get to the last level, I don't think I ever beat it.

Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
I also just remembered; I NEVER use cheats to beat a game the first time. I have to beat the game first to prove I can do it cheat free before I can putz around and have infinite lives or a giant indestructible tank.

Also, another game I don't think I ever beat all the way through, because it has like 70 levels:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I may have made it past the giant baby ONCE. Even having cheats to get to the last level, I don't think I ever beat it.

I still have yet to beat this game as well. It just gets incredibly tough after that giant baby and that's on like level 10 I do plan on someday sitting down and trying to grind through it all, but I see it taking me a while to do so because of my patience with the game. lol
ricecake  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Some might not consider completing an RPG until you max all your characters out. But in a game like FFIII (SNES), that would take literally forever and a day since you have like 9 characters and some are just worthless and not worth the time.

Same with Suikoden, which has almost 80 playable characters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
In fact the idea of playing a game without achievements diminishes my interest in completing it entirely - which is actually kind of sad (Exceptions being visual novel/mystery/suspense types of games for the DS or PC, like Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick, 999 or Amnesia).

Oh my god yes this

I was just thinking back on how many games I had on Wii and I thought to myself "why did I play all these games through if I didn't have some insignificant number to show off to strangers on the internet?" It seems the concept of fun has completely vanished for me.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:
In fact the idea of playing a game without achievements diminishes my interest in completing it entirely - which is actually kind of sad (Exceptions being visual novel/mystery/suspense types of games for the DS or PC, like Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick, 999 or Amnesia).

Oh my god yes this

I was just thinking back on how many games I had on Wii and I thought to myself "why did I play all these games through if I didn't have some insignificant number to show off to strangers on the internet?" It seems the concept of fun has completely vanished for me.

Heh, cute. Do you feel better now? But yeah, I think it's the standardization that I like and the fact that achievements make me play/go for parts in a game I wouldn't normally try.

But why do I care about a useless gamerscore? The same reason why any of us care about an arbitrary number of collectables in-game, 100% completion, post counts, reddit karma, beating a game and so on. None of those things are any more worthwhile to try and get than the others. So I say do what you have the most fun with, and fuck anyone else who says it's a waste of time.

I do still very much enjoy my Wii though. And I'd gladly take suggestions for other suspense/mystery types of games that I'll continue to play even if there is no % meter to watch or gamerscore to get. Those games I can literally play for hours until it's beat, which never happens for me with games these days because of work and all

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricecake wrote:
Same with Suikoden, which has almost 80 playable characters.

That's a game I've never finished EVER.
Which is a shame because now that game is rare and cost 120 euro (190 dollar) just to get my hands on it. Stupid boss would kill all my characters in one blow except for Cleo which he would miss with his physical attack. So the boss needed some earthquake shit and you can't have enough hp-regen to stall it to death.

Tales of .... would also be obnoxious to complete. When you finish the game you are at level 60 tops. The cap however is at 250.

Maybe have a Achievement on GH7 were you need to 6 star all songs on expert would make people play it more? Because it's a achievement?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhYYZ wrote:
Maybe have a Achievement on GH7 were you need to 6 star all songs on expert would make people play it more? Because it's a achievement?

Somewhat off-topic here, but with regards to GH games and achievements I think WoR definitely had the easiest set for any game in the series (besides maybe Band Hero?), they mostly don't require playing on expert except for a few for playing one song on hard or expert, and the stars which are easier to get on expert but possible any difficulty. Definitely nothing as difficult as 5*ing all songs on expert (which GH2 and GH3 had) or as ridiculous as GHWT's $1 million achievement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: