ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Anti-Rant Thread, AKA the Feel-Good Thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: The Anti-Rant Thread, AKA the Feel-Good Thread! Reply with quote

Previously titled: "Anyone else think we need a thread opposite to The Rant Thread?"

I know it's been tried before (hell, I remember trying this in 2007 and my thread was trashed on the spot back in those days ), but I wasn't sure if this was a failed idea because nobody liked it or because expertwin posted it most recently (and we all know how that ended up).

Anyway, as much as I love the Rant Thread a general catch-all thread for good things or happy things would be nice to have. As it stands, nobody knows about anything good happening in anyone else's lives (aside from Bob), but we know all about the bad things. Surely this has to have an effect on the overall forum environment/morale. The image at first glance is that we're just a bunch of people who rant or argue all the time and are never happy (which may be true sometimes, but having an outlet for our small victories would be nice, too!). Anything that could encourage a positive response is worth pursuing, I think.

So would anyone use this? Would it even be allowed?

Edit:

Do we really need rules? Basically just follow the forum rules and the Rant Thread Rules and don't be a dick to people and don't tell people they shouldn't be happy about something (as in Accomplishments where you can't tell people not to be proud of their Accomplishment... I mean who does that?).

Also don't use the Rant Thread to passive aggressively attack someone that posted a good thing in this thread. That's pretty low too, but I don't think that will be a problem.

However, follow-ups to Rants with good outcomes are always welcome "i.e. Rant: I have a really hard exam tomorrow!" "This Thread: I got an A on that exam!" That's the kind of stuff I know we would love to see. Yay! Happy things!

Anyway, the feedback here is good enough for me. Go for it! (So long as mods don't take issue with happiness in this forum ;D)

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Davers  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely support this idea. I was for the "Praise Thread" when expertwin started it up. I would like a place to post the good things (since the Rant Thread is obviously not the catch all for good outlooks on life). Like the second Rant Thread, a thread like this would have to have some type of rules to keep everything civil and orderly so it doesn't end up being trash. I can see a lot of good threads actually coming out of this if it's done right.
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that it would be a great idea, and agree with Davers that a lot of good threads could come out from this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be all on board for this, I personally don't even read the Rant thread anymore as it's just not my cup of tea but I agree with Beach and Davers that some great discussions could come out of this.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely in favour of this, it's great to be able to share the good things in life as well as the bad and it's much nicer to read about people's victories than about their losses.

So, I guess I'll kick off; assuming that Hailz wanted this thread to become the thread in question, because creating a thread to discuss creation of a separate thread doesn't really thread thread.

So my antirant is this: I love it when I use a word so often that it stops making sense. It's like all the fun bits of a stroke, without the severe permanent brain damage.

And something I'm genuinely happy about lately: those of you who obsessively pore over details of my life via SH posts may recall that I'm in a new, long-distance, relationship; I was going to see her for a weekend next month, but found out today that I can stay for a whole week, and we get to spend a week together the month after as well. Small victory, but you take what you can get, y'know She seems to be making plans pretty far in the future, though. Not that I don't want us to last, but I'm just not as overtly optimistic as her
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
And something I'm genuinely happy about lately: those of you who obsessively pore over details of my life via SH posts may recall that I'm in a new, long-distance, relationship; I was going to see her for a weekend next month, but found out today that I can stay for a whole week, and we get to spend a week together the month after as well. Small victory, but you take what you can get, y'know She seems to be making plans pretty far in the future, though. Not that I don't want us to last, but I'm just not as overtly optimistic as her

Aw man, I'm so happy for you. There's something uniquely special about a long-but-not-too-long-distance relationship. I know everyone has their good and bad stories but something about the distance makes you appreciate your time together even more. Been there, done that (in my case, over 1,000 miles of distance for around 2 years, then for the 2 years after that it was a 2 hour drive I made every weekend), so yeah, it CAN work. I say we ought to be optimistic every once in a while, lest we lose all hope and become cynical beyond belief.

Edit:
Hobo111 wrote:
I love oatmeal.

Finally, an outlet for my Oatmeal love!

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love oatmeal.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

Aw man, I'm so happy for you. There's something uniquely special about a long-but-not-too-long-distance relationship. I know everyone has their good and bad stories but something about the distance makes you appreciate your time together even more. Been there, done that (in my case, over 1,000 miles of distance for around 2 years, then for the 2 years after that it was a 2 hour drive I made every weekend), so yeah, it CAN work. I say we ought to be optimistic every once in a while, lest we lose all hope and become cynical beyond belief.

Thank you I'm glad you've said that, 'cause I've had a lot of people tell me I'm brave which isn't exactly what I want to hear 1,000 miles, that's pretty long-distance! It's only 380 in my case, but that's still 7 hours across 3 trains each way. And yes, loving a bit of optimism
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly enough...after a crappy last couple of days, the thing that puts me in the best mood this website:

http://www.shitewear.com/shirt.html

I am TOTALLY getting one of these shirts. And I will wear it proudly on a night out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
So my antirant is this: I love it when I use a word so often that it stops making sense. It's like all the fun bits of a stroke

I always laughed when that happens as well. I find the worst is when you spell a word so much that all of a sudden you forget how to spell it.

I'm happy since I offically have 5 teaching days (and 2 admin days) left to the 2011-2012 school year. Can't wait to have 10 weeks off

Make's June 22nd even better is that the NHL entry draft comes on the last day of school...........much to awesome
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread would've been The Pessimist Thread: Part 2, oh well.

As I'm finishing up work for my writing class right now, it's also my last day of school. Cheers to a good summer, optimism for great FC's, and happy job hunting to every student out there .
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like all this working out I'm doing this summer is really paying off. I hope when I get back to school, I can show my friends up in the weight room lol

Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my freshman orientation today. Out of the 40 or so people whose math placement test scores I heard about, including the other physics and engineering majors, mine was the only one that wasn't a single digit number. I got a 26 (which I had felt kinda bad about, at the time... I still missed 7/33 problems, after all). Anyway around campus I kept my mouth shut about that though.

Also I got the most credit hours out of all the entering students! (I may end up saying the same things in the rant thread later, but hell if I regret it it's my fault anyway.) I'm scheduled for 22 hours (18 is the maximum allowed without consent of the dean), set up very nicely in 9am-5pm blocks Monday through Thursday (with a couple odd stragglers). This is very good news for me because I'll have lots of options later on. I may go on to a double major, or I may graduate slightly early, or I might just drop down to 12-15 hours when I start getting my super hard 500-level physics courses in my final few semesters. Either way, it's gonna be good news, so long as I can handle it this semester.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish is a phucking amazing band
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was failing my Econ class with a 35% grade. Just turned in eight missing assignments and aced my final with a 95% to get a C for the semester. And of course now it's summer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: