ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Recording Classic Games - Widescreen or Fullscreen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Recording Classic Games - Widescreen or Fullscreen? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I wanted to get all your opinions since I'm going to be making Youtube videos of older games (mostly SNES and N64). Obviously, the games I download on my Wii aren't in HD, so recording them in widescreen will stretch them out a bit, but recording them in fullscreen will make the video look smaller and have huge black bars on the sides. Watch this quick video I made to see the difference.

Please let me know what you think, either by posting in this thread or on the video (doesn't matter to me). Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game sound needs to go up just a tad. Not too much though like you said. Volume of your mic is really good. Also, if you are recording NES or SNES games, just leave them in their normal recording 4:3 state. It looks natural. Otherwise, you can use virtual dub to edit out the black bars and then resize it to another ratio of 4:3 to fill the entire screen. You might see how that looks, but being that YT is more of a widescreen format, it might look odd.

As for N64 games, you can definitely edit out the black bars and then resize it to 1280×720 to make it look nice. That's what I do to my N64 vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8qdNMmuRUs
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of related: You're part of TGN? I was just accepted.

EDIT: Some real help - regardless of what you do, you should probably get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom. You can make it fill the whole player from left to right if you want to, but you're right. It'll most likely look stretched.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
ricecake  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-C-C-Combo breaker!
(non Free Bird poster)

I prefer seeing things in their original aspect ratio. Seeing it stretched kind of irks me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricecake wrote:
C-C-C-Combo breaker!
(non Free Bird poster)

I prefer seeing things in their original aspect ratio. Seeing it stretched kind of irks me.

Do 100 'hail mary's, 100 pushups and 374 posts and then come back.

I agree though, original screen shape is better.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! The more I look at it, the more I dislike the stretched out wide screen views. Does anyone know how to get rid of the skinny black bars on the top and bottom of the fullscreen video to make it a little bigger? I use an HD-PVR to record and use Windows Movie Maker (lol) to edit all my videos.

@Davers How difficult is virtualdub to use? I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to most video editing stuff, so unless it's really easy to use there's a good chance I won't bother, unfortunately.

@sorasgoof This channel, AR5Gaming, was partnered with some of the CoD members of vVv and they asked me if I wanted to make video for them. I originally was trying to get a partnership on my own channel, Brockbfball1563, but it was going to take too long. I can't exactly claim any rhythm gaming videos unless I decide to start doing nothing but customs or something like that, so I moved onto other games I enjoy, namely Trials Evolution and classic games that I want to do 100% walkthroughs/guides for. Not that I expect or even really want to make a lot of money from it, but I figure if I'm going to do something I enjoy anyway then I might as well try to make something from it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:

@Davers How difficult is virtualdub to use? I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to most video editing stuff, so unless it's really easy to use there's a good chance I won't bother, unfortunately.

Here's a video I made not too long ago showing how to use it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwdDZTpenk

Compared to other editing software, I find this to be really easy to use, plus it allows you to remove those black bars and make HD vids.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I stream. It works out beautifully, fills out the entire screen, yet leaves the aspect ratio at 4:3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfLTEV6HC6E

I use XSplit for that recording. You can use it for local recording as well as streaming. I did both on my run.

You need something a little more powerful to remove the bars. That's cropping the video. You can use VirtualDub to crop the video.

What's TGN? I'd love to be able to get sponsored to go after Atari 2600 Twin Galaxies scores. I have a couple other ones I want to go after.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone! First couple videos are now up. The games I play may not generate as many views as when people play games that have at least come out in the last 15 years, but it really is tough to beat the classics! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHfrBfRJ_BA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! First couple videos are now up. The games I play may not generate as many views as when people play games that have at least come out in the last 15 years, but it really is tough to beat the classics! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHfrBfRJ_BA

And yet Episode 2 still got more views in the first 7 hours than 90% of my videos.

As far as recording widescreen/fullscreen, I'd like you guys to give me your opinions. Which one of these is better?

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8bMvUjnyeE
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TclspbhbkMI

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: