ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Day Z

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Day Z Reply with quote

Not sure how many around here got ARMA2:CO on the sale so they could play Day Z, or maybe had the game before and has been participating in the mod already, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to have a thread. The game has a very steep learning curve due to rather confusing controls and inventory management. We can use this thread to discuss weapons, traps, good loot places, tactics, stuff like that.

For me, I think this game/mod is fantastic, even if it is BUGGY AS ALL HELL. Lag problems, disconnects, servers not updating promptly, items disappearing, items duping, etc, but even with all that, if you and a buddy or a group have guns, some supplies, and are doing some raiding, the game is so enjoyable.

Today I even had a glitch work for me. I logged into a spot, a rather nice high value spot that I finished looting the night before with a friend on another server, came back in, looted again, went back to the spot I first logged in to maybe find another server, when I heard foot steps. I waited at the only spot to come up, but sadly wasn't so quick on the draw, with both of us dying. The good thing? When I went to basically respawn with a new character on that server, I instead logged in where I first logged in initially, complete with all my gear. I DID die though, as my body with all my loot was there, duped (Didn't benefit me though since I had plenty of ammo already and full gear) and the other guy was dead there also, but didn't have anything for me. So I killed a guy, died, but survived to fight another day
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Day Z, I spawned into a server last night with an AS50 and an M1911. I don't think even admins are allowed to set spawn gear, so that's weird. I died with it anyway.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people might've learned to hack the server setup perhaps as I don't think that's supposed to happen at all. I mean, it's actually kinda against the rules of the game to lock a server down, so people can farm weapons and gear, and then go into other servers all decked out.

*EDIT*
Man this game gets INTENSE when you know someone is not far from you. I managed to get to the NW airfield, huge ass place, got myself an M14 as a backup and a Bizon SD to replace my dwindling MP5SD and that's just so far. Tons of places to loot here. As I hit that one high value barracks and start to head to another part of the field, I hear two guys, at least I'm guessing two, start blasting away where I was no more than 5 minutes ago, so I just bolt it, making sure to not get any zombies after me, luckily I had that Bizon to quietly take down two of them. Never have I felt this worried about myself in a game before. Almost like what I do in a horror game, not taking any chances, being very careful, nervous of things I hear lol
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I honestly take the approach of "shoot first and ask questions later" these days. My brother had an L85A2 (we were lucky enough to find a helicopter crash site), and while I only had an AKM I was loaded with water bottles, medical supplies, and food to last me a long long time.

We were raiding the military base up at Sobor one evening and came across another person, I thought he hadn't seen us yet so I started typing "Hey you friendly?". In the midst of typing it he shot me in the head with a DMR and fatally wounded my brother. 4 weeks of work and saving up all lost on a measly excursion for some extra ammo.

Jesus this game can piss me off like none other but I still love it.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the two times I've met with people, they ended up shooting at me. Once with a friend, we kinda stumbled on two guys, they didn't quite fire right away, we tried to talk, nothing came out, so we ended up taking them out, though my friend died. Another time we were in a city, we knew someone was around, hearing gunshots, but we thought we could steer clear and on our way out, my friend just yells out sniper and we just fucking bolt. I got shot, but luckily was knocked down behind a wall, so I could patch up and escape.

Generally I try to play the good guy in games, but as I've read, the "bad guys" outnumber the good here. So yup, shoot first, ask questions later till they maybe work up a better faction system or way of showing as friendly to people.
Rtsdeathreaper  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably 9 times out of 10 people will shoot you, so I gave up on trying to take a friendly approach. I was lucky recently when I spawned in a barn where I left off and there were 4 guys in there already. I was on the other side of the barn at the top, so they didn't notice me, and luckily they all left. When one guy came back in my instinct was to shoot him, but unfortunately I missed so we were left in a standoff, when his mates came back in. So I said through my mic 'I'll be friendly if you be friendly' and so I ran like a mofo out of cover and out of the barn and I didn't get shot or even shot at. So sometimes you may find people who don't shoot you, but yeah, that's very rare :P I've only killed 1 person so far, and I'm not really planning to kill any more on my mission to Devil's castle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RTS Deathreaper
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, I ended up dying in a tense standoff with another person and I'm not sure if it was due to lag or if the silent SMG's are just shit when it comes to people. I manage to pop one in the head, they scuttle off to bandage, I rush down hearing them, get on them, fire like 10 rounds at least into them, but while doing this, they manage to get like 2 rounds off on their rifle of some sort, which automatically kills me. I'm sure they were dead too, but I easily had the lead on them and they manage to beat me. So annoying.

The silenced guns are nice, but they seem to only be good against zombies. I think the best combo would be to get the silenced M9 for clearing zombies, then a main gun, depending on whatever personal choice you prefer, and then store like a sniper rifle in your bag, if you can fit one. Silenced is nice, but the lack of damage can be annoying.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya all of the silenced guns rank low-very low on the damage rating (meaning about 3-5 body shots on a zombie to kill, and who knows how many on a person). That's why the AKM was so handy, while it was loud as hell it also ranks as a high damage rating and can knock out most players pretty easily.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the tradeoff for the silence I don't think is worth the weakness when going against players which are the really challenging part of the game. If I can the M9 silenced, I'll take that, but I'm gonna stick to rifles or shotguns as my main from now on. Also I hate finding tons of ammo for the M240 and M249, but never finding the actual guns lol
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, On my current life of raiding deerstands I've found about 3 full 200 round magazines for the M249, but I've never actually seen the gun itself.

Anyway, if you're going to be doing much banditry (out in the towns, I would never suggest it in a city) I would highly suggest the Enfield. Not only is it the most common ammunition in the game but it's also the 2nd most powerful weapon in the game with a body shot doing 10,000-12,000 damage, so pretty much certain death for anyone you're shooting at.

Unfortunately it's also the loudest weapon in the game, so firing it in a city is almost certain suicide as you'll alert pretty much every zombie within a 2 square kilometer area (which in Electro or places like that equals over a hundred zombies).
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where that M249 comes into play. Get one or two of those, a guy with an Enfield, and just bring the slaughter lol You make sure the zombies have to funnel through a narrow point, and the guys won't get hit. You just alternate firing and reloading. That would be something to work up to lol

*EDIT*
Second crazy plan...get a bunch of low level people into the same spot, just outside a city like Cherno or Elektro, everyone has a hatchet, and then you just swarm the city. As long as you don't stop, zombies can't hurt you and people won't be ready for people running like crazy at them. I basically did this already by myself and survived, even got an Alice pack and a couple supplies, though I didn't catch a sniper who was shooting at me. I even made it out of the city alive, expecting full well that it would be a suicide run lol
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with a few weeks in the game, who is still playing? I don't play quite as much as I did at first, but every few nights, I get on with some people to do raids, we even started up a camp for supply hording on one server. Managed to steal some vehicles too, though of the two, a truck and a bus, we lost a bus to sniper fire lol

While this game is seriously fucked, just glitches and countless other things that need to be fixed (Of which most won't, since the game is going standalone later this year), this game still has some of the most intense firefights you will ever have. Guaranteed. I've played alot of shooters, but I think the idea that your fighting with characters that can permanently die, raises the stakes. Also the game is alot about stealth, so surprising a group of people, fighting it out, everything tense as shit, it's adrenaline pumping. Other friends of mine agree and it's probably the real silver lining in the mod. I still wish zombies behaved realistically and didn't have GTA cop mode, but the action can still be crazy wild.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: