ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Songs/Bands It Seems Only YOU Like/Vice Versa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoolMotion  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Nubnut wrote:
Ya I definitely agree that the Beatles stuff is pretty mindless pop with little to no substance.

mfw

...Is your face your avatar?
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer the vice versa part of this question, 2 bands that everyone seems to like that I actually actively DON'T like: Arcade Fire and Radiohead. These are actually probably the only 2 bands I can say with certainty that I dislike, since I actually tried to listen to them for a while before giving up (other bands I just try to avoid if I don't like them, these 2 I really gave a chance since everyone won't shut up about them).

I just don't get it. I listened to Funeral and The Suburbs probably 3 or 4 times each, and I thought it was just ...not interesting, boring, bad, not good, whatever you want to call it. They were the closing headliner at ACL and I couldn't even stay for the whole show, it was just boring. And I just don't get Radiohead at all.

As for bands I like that nobody else likes, I feel like on the internet I'm the only person that actually genuinely enjoys newer Green Day (though I know that's not true). Or any "newer" stuff from other popular bands, like Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold (aside from Lulu). The whole "They have no albums after Dookie/Ride The Lightning/City of Evil!" bullshit really annoys me. I also like how changing their style means selling out to people. God forbid the band you like actively tries to make a decent living and produce music people will buy. Technically, they sold out when they signed with a record label in the first place, so stop with the "I liked this band before they sold out!" crap. Just say "I liked this band before they changed their style." Jesus. /rant

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by "newer Green Day". I like American Idiot, Warning was alright, 21CB was pretty good. The songs on this new album though sound like they got cut from 21CB for sucking too much, which is to say I am not a fan.
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I can answer the vice versa part of this question, 2 bands that everyone seems to like that I actually actively DON'T like: Arcade Fire and Radiohead. These are actually probably the only 2 bands I can say with certainty that I dislike, since I actually tried to listen to them for a while before giving up (other bands I just try to avoid if I don't like them, these 2 I really gave a chance since everyone won't shut up about them).

I just don't get it. I listened to Funeral and The Suburbs probably 3 or 4 times each, and I thought it was just ...not interesting, boring, bad, not good, whatever you want to call it. They were the closing headliner at ACL and I couldn't even stay for the whole show, it was just boring. And I just don't get Radiohead at all.

As for bands I like that nobody else likes, I feel like on the internet I'm the only person that actually genuinely enjoys newer Green Day (though I know that's not true). Or any "newer" stuff from other popular bands, like Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold (aside from Lulu). The whole "They have no albums after Dookie/Ride The Lightning/City of Evil!" bullshit really annoys me. I also like how changing their style means selling out to people. God forbid the band you like actively tries to make a decent living and produce music people will buy. Technically, they sold out when they signed with a record label in the first place, so stop with the "I liked this band before they sold out!" crap. Just say "I liked this band before they changed their style." Jesus. /rant

Damn, I agree with a lot of stuff in this post. I don't see what the big deal with Arcade Fire is, people say that they're brilliant, etc. but they're just, to put it bluntly, quite shit, to me at least. Same deal with Radiohead, except I like 1 of their songs, which is Creep, and basically everyone knows that song, and most of said persons like it. I do like the new Green Day/Metallica/Avenged Sevenfold stuff (but fuck Lulu. Lou Reed can go die in a hole. I'll reserve a rant for how much I hate Lou Reed.). Hell, some of my favourite songs of said bands come from said band's newer albums!

Beck. Dunno why people think he's so great, I really despise all of his songs (besides Gamma Ray, that one's okay). Time for a youtube experience: when I was doing GH5 vids, I did one of Gamma Ray. I said in the description that I liked the song a little. Got a massive rage comment saying "what the fuck is wrong with you, Beck is the greatest songwriter of all time, blah, blah, blah" This was 2 years ago, and I wish I could go back to that comment, and just reply "lolno, he sucks" just to be a troll about it. I really don't see what all the fuss is about him, though.

Two artists though, while I know people's opinions on 1, but not the other, I absolutely hate with a burning, burning passion. Those two artists are Neil Young and The Silversun Pickups. I FUCKING HATE THEM.

I also don't get why people put so much hate into newer heavy metal/metalcore bands, like Bullet For My Valentine, bands like that. I honestly can't see what's wrong with them.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Depends what you mean by "newer Green Day". I like American Idiot, Warning was alright, 21CB was pretty good. The songs on this new album though sound like they got cut from 21CB for sucking too much, which is to say I am not a fan.

I haven't listened to the new album yet, so I'll reserve my opinion until I do.

I'm just amazed how many people hate American Idiot. I can sort of understand 21CB, even though I really like that album, but god, American Idiot is so iconic to me now, I could probably listen to it every day and never get tired of it. I think Green Day is just becoming the new thing that the internet has decided to hate. They'll be onto the next thing soon enough.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Nubnut wrote:
Ya I definitely agree that the Beatles stuff is pretty mindless pop with little to no substance.

mfw

And award for not reading all of the posts in the thread goes to Pieman!

Seriously though, look at my post just two spaces above it.

Anyway, I have to say that Absolution is really the only Muse album I could ever get into. Everything else just never really clicked with me.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolMotion wrote:
...Is your face your avatar?

Yes, we are all animes after all
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

That's the whole thing about signing to a major label though. I know for a fact that a lot of bands are basically forced to give their sound a more mainstream feel to it once they are signed to a major label, since the label wants to ensure that their albums will sell. It's fucking depressing that stuff like that still happens. Of course, the counter example to that is that there are bands who willingly change in direction, which I would mostly credit Modest Mouse with doing.

B.nAUght47 wrote:
Two artists though, while I know people's opinions on 1, but not the other, I absolutely hate with a burning, burning passion. Those two artists are Neil Young and The Silversun Pickups. I FUCKING HATE THEM.

Opinions are great to have. In the grand scheme of things, they don't matter at all, but they are good to have.

B.nAUght47 wrote:
I also don't get why people put so much hate into newer heavy metal/metalcore bands, like Bullet For My Valentine, bands like that. I honestly can't see what's wrong with them.

Because metal is generally regarded as a "childish" genre. Most of the stereotypical fans of metal are either 14 year old kids who think that Slipknot is the second coming of Christ, or 28 year olds who go to Slayer concerts to get drunk and try and remember when "metal was real".

GuitarHailz wrote:
I'm just amazed how many people hate American Idiot. I can sort of understand 21CB, even though I really like that album, but god, American Idiot is so iconic to me now, I could probably listen to it every day and never get tired of it. I think Green Day is just becoming the new thing that the internet has decided to hate. They'll be onto the next thing soon enough.

Calling Green Day something of that magnitude is laughable to be honest. They might be one of the bigger pop punk outfits, but they certainly don't get shit on as much as some of the absolutely gigantic pop artists, which I don't really even think I need to mention.

To try and keep more on topic I guess, I love Animal Collective.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "they have no album after (whatever you consider the last good one)":

While I certainly don't want to listen to post-AmId Green Day, post-s/t Metallica or any A7X that isn't CoE, I'll admit the albums exist. I just don't want to listen to them if I can avoid it. (Which is very easy.)

And the metal thing: mainstream metal, now that that's a thing, is like mainstream anything else. It's more mindless and "money hungry" than the more "indie" or obscure stuff. Sure metal(core) takes more skill to play (and an actual band) than say, Beiber-esque pop, and I'll admit that. However, that doesn't make them very good compared to a band who's just doing their own thing.

A band like Cormorant or Krallice is more likely to be true to their vision than Black Veil Brides or BFMV simply because they don't have the pressures of sales. It's simply a fact of the industry.

In terms of "selling out": "Character is what you are in the dark." In this case, that would mean that the real character of the band is shown by what they make when they don't care about what people think or how much they'll sell.

With Metallica you get Lulu and St Anger. With someone like Devin Townsend, you get Ziltoid.

And finally: "indie" is polarizing. Either you "get it" or you don't, and that's whatever.

Probably didn't say what I meant to how I mean it so someone will likely get annoyed at me. That's whatever too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

What baffles me is why they're listened to so much...

GuitarHailz wrote:
I also like how changing their style means selling out to people. God forbid the band you like actively tries to make a decent living and produce music people will buy.

It's not necessarily that, it's the fact that they changed their style to make more money. There's examples of bands changing their style and not selling out, such as Opeth. They went from progressive Death Metal to 70's Prog-rock. There's basically no money in that move.

GuitarHailz wrote:
Technically, they sold out when they signed with a record label in the first place, so stop with the "I liked this band before they sold out!" crap. Just say "I liked this band before they changed their style." Jesus. /rant

You don't sign to a label to have money get thrown at you. You sign to a label for distribution, promotion, and (depending on the deal) they will fund your tours. The catch is labels ask for that money back, and this is why a lot of bands don't become successful.

B.nAUght47 wrote:

The people that "hate" them are usually the more experienced listener who can recognize what those bands are trying to accomplish. Being more experienced they have to compare them to bands that do it better. Aside from the fact that there's a massive Emo influence in Metalcore, which is really quite the turn-off.

As for the hate of 'newer Heavy Metal', it's the fact that it's so watered down. Take a band like The Sword (which I love), when you boil them down, they're more or less late 60's, early 70's acid-rock throwbacks. When you compare them to bands of that era, such as Yesterday's Children, or Randy Holden (the guy who invented heavy metal), they are crushed.

It's an old-guy mentality. I know a guy who expresses disdain for Pentagram (one of the holy trinity of Doom), because it's newer and watered down.
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GregoryZero: sheesh! I'm nothing like the metal fans you're describing, I may be 15, but I don't even like Slipknot, and I'm mature enough to know that the second coming is not a metal band (unlike 1 of my friends...). Metal can still be real today, you just need to find the right bands. Thank God I'm not a hardcore metal-head... Liking genres outside of metal is good for you.

@wallflower: Gotta agree with you on The Sword, I absolutely love them.

Yeah, a lot of metal bands, and just a lot of artists in general are just in it for money these days, take all of the recycled dance shit that's produced today. It's literally all the same, just with slightly tweaked lyrics, and a different singer. Glam metal is a very good examples of this, too.

A lot of metal, I guess, is the same. Like I previously said, thank God I'm not a devoted metal-head. Listen to ska-punk, people, it's awesome.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GregoryZero: sheesh! I'm nothing like the metal fans you're describing, I may be 15, but I don't even like Slipknot, and I'm mature enough to know that the second coming is not a metal band (unlike one of my friends...). Metal can still be real today, you just need to find the right bands. Thank God I'm not a hardcore metal-head... Liking genres outside of metal is good for you.

@wallflower: Gotta agree with you on The Sword, I absolutely love them. They just seem so original in a world of recycled music. System Of A Down, I consider to be in the same boat. SOAD are just too weird to be copied.

Yeah, a lot of metal bands, and just a lot of artists in general are just in it for money these days, take all of the recycled dance shit that's produced today. It's literally all the same, just with slightly tweaked lyrics, and a different singer. Glam metal is a very good example of this, too. I'll still listen to my Death Magnetic and Nightmare albums, because I like them.

A lot of metal, I guess, is the same. Like I previously said, thank God I'm not a devoted metal-head. Listen to ska-punk, people, it's awesome.

Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the most damaging thing about the image for metalheads honestly is the idea that (admittedly I've seen a lot of metalheads have) that there is only metal, and everything outside of metal is complete shit.

I guess I've always found die-hard metal heads hilarious personally, as they call for artists to "fight the man" and do what they want, and be indepedent. But they'll be damned if they try to play anything other than metal then they're selling out. Even to take an earlier example of Opeth, where they got such tremendous backlash on their forums from their "tr00" fans for coming out with Heritage and "selling out" (Going from being one of the most respected Death Metal bands to Psychedelic/Jazz Fusion... Ya real big sellout move there) that they just had to shut the forums down entirely.

It's really things like that that make most people view the modern metal community with extreme disdain.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
wallflower  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.nAUght47 wrote:
It's literally all the same, just with slightly tweaked lyrics, and a different singer.

That's because Disco never died.

Nubnut wrote:
Even to take an earlier example of Opeth, where they got such tremendous backlash on their forums from their "tr00" fans for coming out with Heritage and "selling out"

A lot of the "true" fans think Opeth 'sold out' long before that, I think around Ghost Reveries.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the favorite nickname on the Opeth forums for Watershed was Watershit. Tremendously clever isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: