ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Speedrunning
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Speedrunning Reply with quote

Last edited by Southparkhero on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only games I can really "speedrun" are:

Donkey Kong Country No Glitches: 42 minutes
Link to the Past 100%: right under 4 hours (this is actually not THAT great of a time)
Super Mario Bros 3 No Warps: 59 minutes

They are fun to do. I need to get better at different games.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a thread for this that would have had a much better OP but whatever. >__>

the only thing I've really run in H1, I have exactly 2 hours on easy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago (like 7-8 years ago) I used to plow through Donkey Kong Country 2 on a daily basis (sometimes twice a day if I really felt the itch). The best I could muster for a 102% was 1:45 (in-game timer) which I thought was pretty cool. It actually got to the point where I would actually turn the console off if I missed that bastard DK coin at Web Woods. So easy to miss that, and particularly annoying because its so far into the game. T'was quite entertaining to me nonetheless. I should try again one of these days.

Watching people speedrunning is always fun too. Always enjoy portions of the multitude of marathons that go on from time to time.
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Fhdra  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that think speedruns take the fun out of games?

Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
The only games I can really "speedrun" are:

Donkey Kong Country No Glitches: 42 minutes

that is a damn impressive time. was it 101% ? mine was 44 mins 101% but that was WAYYYYYY back in the late 90s

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to speedrun shitty games that I used to play as a kid that nobody cares about.

The only game I run anymore that is relevant is SM64, usually 16 star runs.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: TQSG
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:

I'm surprised that you'd actually take the time to make a comment that pointless.

Anyway, I've never really done speedruns. I'd like to try my hand at Crash Bandicoot and see how fast I can complete it (fastest time ever is close to 1 hour? I don't recall correctly). For Reach I've been practicing techniques for better times in the Pillar of Autumn, but I really won't try for a speedrun until the LASO weekly comes up. Grenade-jumping needs some work :s.
Fhdra  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony8 wrote:
Fhdra wrote:

I'm surprised that you'd actually take the time to make a comment that pointless.

Hey, you responded so there must have been some merit.

Anyways, this thread is about speedruns, right? Someone just answer me this. What is so fun and satisfying about constantly repeating a game, exploiting glitches, and skipping a majority of the side content in order to finish the game in a quick time? I'm just curious. I've never gotten into speedruns myself; I've only watched a few videos on YouTube.

Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
Anthony8 wrote:
Fhdra wrote:

Anyways, this thread is about speedruns, right? Someone just answer me this. What is so fun and satisfying about constantly repeating a game, exploiting glitches, and skipping a majority of the side content in order to finish the game in a quick time? I'm just curious. I've never gotten into speedruns myself; I've only watched a few videos on YouTube.

Well for games without a rich plot- such as Super Mario Bros.- it's a good way to get a new challenge out of a game you love without losing any content.

...But, even if the game has a great story and lots of cool stuff you'd miss out on in a speedrun, those elements lose a lot of their meaning after you've played through the game a lot. I still think a speedrun of a plot-heavy game like Mass Effect would be less interesting than something like Ocarina of Time, but I can see how any sort of game would be reasonable once you had nothing more to gain from the traditional playthroughs.

Also, you seem to have a misconception that ALL speedruns are about getting to the credits screen as fast as possible. They're actually grouped into different categories. There are usually three:
1) fastest time to completion, period.
2)fastest time to completion with NO GLITCHES.
3)fastest time to 100% the game- killing all optional bosses, acquiring all optional gear, completing dlc, and/or secret dungeons, etc.. or any combination of those.

The reason we enjoy games at all are because they appeal to parts of our brain that are wired to want certain things- especially rewards for completing a difficult task- speedruns are just one way for a gamer to take control of which goals should be met, rather than relying solely on the programmers for that. I personally think it's a really cool thing for some games and mostly pointless for others, but to each their own. If a player is enjoying their game then the game is worthwhile; they are entertainment devices, after all.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:

Yes
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
Anthony8 wrote:
Fhdra wrote:

What is so fun and satisfying about constantly repeating a song, just to get all the notes?

Last edited by Southparkhero on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQSG wrote:
I used to speedrun shitty games that I used to play as a kid that nobody cares about. The only game I run anymore that is relevant is SM64, usually 16 star runs.

Same. Looking for new games to run is kinda fun though.

Fhdra wrote:

Gotta go fast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Well for games without a rich plot- such as Super Mario Bros.- it's a good way to get a new challenge out of a game you love without losing any content.

...But, even if the game has a great story and lots of cool stuff you'd miss out on in a speedrun, those elements lose a lot of their meaning after you've played through the game a lot. I still think a speedrun of a plot-heavy game like Mass Effect would be less interesting than something like Ocarina of Time, but I can see how any sort of game would be reasonable once you had nothing more to gain from the traditional playthroughs.

Also, you seem to have a misconception that ALL speedruns are about getting to the credits screen as fast as possible. They're actually grouped into different categories. There are usually three:
1) fastest time to completion, period.
2)fastest time to completion with NO GLITCHES.
3)fastest time to 100% the game- killing all optional bosses, acquiring all optional gear, completing dlc, and/or secret dungeons, etc.. or any combination of those.

The reason we enjoy games at all are because they appeal to parts of our brain that are wired to want certain things- especially rewards for completing a difficult task- speedruns are just one way for a gamer to take control of which goals should be met, rather than relying solely on the programmers for that. I personally think it's a really cool thing for some games and mostly pointless for others, but to each their own. If a player is enjoying their game then the game is worthwhile; they are entertainment devices, after all.

Hm, thanks for that. I never fully understood the concept. That number 3 category sounds pretty interesting to me. I'd like to see one of those with a game that harbors a massive amount of content like Skyrim or something. Probably not possible since I'm assuming breaks aren't allowed...

GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
Hm, thanks for that. I never fully understood the concept. That number 3 category sounds pretty interesting to me. I'd like to see one of those with a game that harbors a massive amount of content like Skyrim or something. Probably not possible since I'm assuming breaks aren't allowed...

I'm sure that 100% for a game like Skyrim will eventually be possible as the game is continually broken down. Most 100% runs allow for glitches and such since the only reason any% sometimes has glitchless categories is to see how fast it is to complete the game in a regular setting. The type of runs commonly done are entirely dependent on the game itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: