ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Speedrunning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
This Chrono Trigger run was pretty much the moment I decided I only cared about 100% runs. I have literally no clue what is going on at any point during that video. I'd like to think that a speedrun should be a demonstration of skill and planning that any of the rest of us putzes could achieve given that level of dedication, not a race to rewrite the game's code.

Also, fuck the Excalibur II.

Honestly I've always thought this attitude is a little short sighted, especially when based on a video that is very clearly tool assisted. Anyone can tell you a TAS is not so much skill as knowledge of legitimate engine quirks, and that the point is to show exactly what can be done, even if none of it is feasible in real time. (See: a large percentage of stars in the new 120 star TAS of SM64.)

There's actually a TAS of LTTP that uses only real time strategies, the so called "god TAS" that is equivalent to the optimal possible run on the game. It's the standard length required to beat all bosses (well, it's faster by a decent amount, but still totally doable in real time), despite the fact that the sub-10 minute strat is so possible in real time that it was done in one try live at a marathon.

Real time any% runs have large amounts of skill and planning, even if they use the same tricks the TASes do, simply because in real time, the runner doesn't get the luxury of retrying things (unless it's segmented) or frame advance (save for pause buffering, which eats real time seconds). The skill needed to get the real time records in 0 star SM64 (sub-10 minutes) or any% OoT (sub-20) is very high, it's just not in the exact one intended by the developers.

Even 100% runs can heavily abuse glitches and unintended things. Again, the SM64 120 star TAS or even Siglemic's real time WR.

Speedrunning is about getting through a game quickly, pure and simple, the category doesn't matter. If something in the game makes reaching the end faster, they'll use it. And sometimes a category will be broken by some trick and become a new one. This is while there's four for SM64 even though 0 star is obviously the fastest possible "any%" and 120 is 100%.

To specifically address that Chrono Trigger TAS, the menu and map movement is hard to follow or outright bizarre because the guy playing had the ability to do frame perfect inputs, as well as the ability to manipulate RNG perfectly. This is something that will always happen in TASes, especially RPGs, where lots of time is gained or lost based on manipulation of the various gameplay elements.

I invite you to compare that TAS with the real time runs documented on SDA: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ChronoTrigger.html

I can promise you that you could, with dedication and knowledge, reach those same times or even beat them.

EDIT: Regarding TASes that make zero sense, there's always the FF1 solo White Mage TAS. The final boss kills itself.

Also, here's the comments for the newer Chrono Trigger TAS, which is sub-5 minutes: http://tasvideos.org/3606S.html and here's the comments for the 21 minute one you linked: http://tasvideos.org/2240S.html

Hopefully that clears things up a little?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Well breaks are inherently allowed in segmented speedruns of longer games. However there are people who do single segments of stuff like FFX in about 10 hours.

Also, name his mistakes: http://dl.speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?Mario1_458

Wow....
I've been on 8-4 without skipping only once. But even with skipping I couldn't get passed 8-4. That's just...
Wow....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
I have literally no clue what is going on at any point during that video. I'd like to think that a speedrun should be a demonstration of skill and planning that any of the rest of us putzes could achieve given that level of dedication, not a race to rewrite the game's code.

That's why speedruns are completely different than TAS's. They are only semi-related since the run paths they use sometimes overlap. If you've ever watched a TAS, they almost always have a disclaimer saying that it isn't a test of skill.

inv4der basically said everything else I wanted to say.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running through SRAM.

http://youtu.be/fZqEcVg8Ei8

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: TQSG
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDA are doing their marathon right as we speak.

You can view it here: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/

You can view the schedule here: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule

Some pretty insane stuff waiting to happen!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 hours short from my best, but still, the run time is hilarious. This shouldn't even be considered a speedrun since it was done in many sittings. I'll try to optimize this some day and maybe do it under 10 hours. Pretty tough since I'm also including the small bananas as part of the 100%...

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo?
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Scientist wrote:
SDA are doing their marathon right as we speak.

You can view it here: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/

You can view the schedule here: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule

Some pretty insane stuff waiting to happen!

While the best run of the marathon, Pocky and Rocky, is already over (It will live on in our hearts!), they have two days left and they're over 210k.

Go donate if you can, if not, just enjoy the runs! (and pad the viewer count, more games should beat League!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tuning in and out throughout the marathon. Love watching this stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need a way to record stuff...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓░░▒▒▒░░░▒░▒▓▓░░▓░░░░░░░
░░░░░▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░
░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░▓▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░▓▓░▒░░░▒▒░▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒░▓▓▒▓░▓▓▓▓▓▓
░▓▓▓▓▓▓░▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
░▓▓▓▓▓▓░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░
░░▓▓▓▓▓░▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒░░▓▓▓▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓░░░▒░▒░░░▒▒▒░░▒░░░░▓▓▓░░░
░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░▓▓▓▓▒░▒░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░▓▓▓▓▓░▒░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░▓▓▓▓▒░▒░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've picked up Paper Mario All Cards. Going to start streaming soon.

FrankerZ

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:

[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: