ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Speedrunning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an accidental completion of E.T. on the Atari in 2 min and 15 seconds, I think I am going to run it. The issue with the game is the complete RNG that it has, but I need to test out a theory someone found that if you hold in the fire button when you turn on the Atari the telephone pieces will be in the same spot every time.

This is gonna be fun
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedgaming is dumb

░░░░░░░░░
╔════╗░╔═══╗░╔╗░░╔╗░░░
╚═╗╔═╝░║╔══╝░║║░░║║░░░
░░║║░░░║╚══╗░║╚══╝║░░░
░░║║░░░║╔══╝░║╔══╗║░░░
░░║║░░░║╚══╗░║║░░║║░░░
░░╚╝░░░╚═══╝░╚╝░░╚╝░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╔╗░░╔╗░╔════╗░╔══╗░╔╗░
║║░░║║░║╔══╗║░║╔╗╚╗║║░
║║░░║║░║╚══╝║░║║╚╗╚╝║░
║║░░║║░║╔═╗╔╝░║║░╚╗░║░
║╚══╝║░║║░║╚╗░║║░░╚╗║░
╚════╝░╚╝░╚═╝░╚╝░░░╚╝░
inv4der  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason I'm now working on a dumb anime game from XBLIG along with my ongoing work on getting The Run of Mercury Hg. Dumb Anime Game should be about a half hour and Hg should someday be about 24 minutes.

Hoping for the best with this stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With ESA over, now we get to wait until the 25th for SGQD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
With ESA over, now we get to wait until the 25th for SGQD!

SGQD is the best. Kappa

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄▄▄▄░░░░
░░▄▀▒▓▒▓▓▒▓▒▒▓▒▓▀▄░░
▄▀▒▒▓▒▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▓▒▒▓█░
█▓▒▓▒▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░▓▓█░
█▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▒░░░░░░░░▓█░
▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░▄█▄▀░
░▀▄▓░░▒▀▓▓▒▒░░█▓▒▒░░
▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▒▒█░
░▀░▀░░░░░▒▒▀▄▄▒▀▒▒█░
░░▀░░░░░░▒▄▄▒▄▄▄▒▒█░
░░░▀▄▄▒▒░░░░▀▀▒▒▄▀░░
░░░░░▀█▄▒▒░░░░▒▄▀░░░
░░░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄▄▄▀
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:

This pretty much sums up SGDQ
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHR0rWNpcgo
I'll just leave this here.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klappa //

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah that new Zelda game is pretty cool to quick play. Also, some marathon's coming in less than a month, decent stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't know this forum was here. Actually, looking at OP, you seemed to have found speedrunning just a little earlier than me.

It was mid - late December 2012 when, iirc, I was just browsing youtube like I randomly do. And on the side, I saw a Super Ghouls n' Ghosts speedrun. Before I even clicked the video, I was wondering how someone beat the game, yet the first level alone. The author of the video was no other than Kareshi (watch Funkdoc's AGDQ2012 Castlevania run, he's playing piano). I was playing my old SNES and N64 games, but most favorably Super Castlevania IV. Not long after I found Kareshi's video, and after finally beating SCV4 with no game overs for my first time one year ago today (around this time actually, was 58 - 59min), I looked to see if a speedrun was done. I found Funkdoc's AGDQ2012 run, and with finding speedruns of other games afterwards, my interest for speedrunning grew heavily rather quickly.

Until June, I was trying to beat SCV4, ALttP, and SMB3(AS) as quickly as I could. I just used my clock to time, starting when the next minute hit. Of course these times weren't good at all (40min runs of CV4), I was having pure fun with everything.

The month of June, I'd say I got a little more seriously into speedrunning. I saw recording on console as too difficult for me to setup, so I downloaded emulators SNESGT and snes9x 1.53. This is when I started to practice games, looking at videos of strats, and gaining more experience as I went on. I improve a little as the month ends, and mid-July, I get a 37:23 PB on SCV4. This is when SCV4 just took over everything else for the most part. I still played ALttP, SMB3, and some other games casually here and there, but I won't talk about those anymore.

From mid-July until the end of September, I kept playing on emulator, and would stream when the very rare occasion happened that my old HP G-60 would hold a strong connection for a while. On 9/24, I improved my 37:23 to a 35:29. I practiced a lot (I mean a lot) with save states. I was getting better at this time, still not quite there. But what was special about that 35:29 was what I knew I had potential for. I put 34:30 (SDA timing) as my goal. World record at this time was Hanage_Belmondo's 33:41 run.

What I also realized at this time too, is that I needed to switch to console. I had lots of trouble with this, unfortunately on the software-side. It took a while, and people helped me as best as they could. My laptop was just not suitable to record anything but raw amarec video (being able to record that was good though). I was stuck between two walls at this point, but one day my laptop broke lol. I wanted to switch to a desktop and be wired to my internet, and was eventually successful with it. After testing it + being wired directly for a while, everything, even streaming, turned out great. I even managed to beat my goal time, with a 34:27 run. With all of my troubles before, and with my Nakitek Gamesaver, I switched to practicing on console.

It was when I got my 34:27, that things just took off, rather randomly. WR holder Hanage_Belmondo (who is Japanese) mentioned my PB on twitter one morning. That morning, I had off of work, so I streamed pretty early. Viewer count was always 0 - 3 which was great for me. Apparently it got a bit of attention, as I randomly looked at my chat to see no other than Funkdoc typing away. Quite a bit of others found their way to my stream as well. I was extremely surprised to see big names appear on my chat and followers list such as Puwexil, PJ, Cyghfer, Zoast, Sinister, Pheenoh, MrMV, Blechy, Romscout, Dbx, Dram55, Jadin (ApparentlyPants), and others. Even Mikwuyma followed me and was chatting his ass off. For a game pretty low-key, I had no idea all these people I watched/still watch would come together on my channel, all having the same interest in the same game. Hanage basically took me under his wing at this time, and tought me the last room of Stage 8. Once I found consistency with that, I learned the rest of the strats (chandelier room >_>), and even improved things over him here and there. It was time to grind WR from here. I set my new goal at 33:33.

Blechy messaged me on IRC one day to see if I wanted to be whitelisted on SRL. This means that whenever I stream, I'm permanently on the frontpage of SRL. I accepted it, hoping it would bring CV4 above-surface. And it worked. From 7 - 30 viewers, my viewers were now 30 - 85, averaging in the 60's frequently. My gameplay also heavily improved at this time. From being inconsistent with getting past Stage 3, I was getting past there pretty frequently, even being much more consistent with the other stages.

I managed to get a run 0.4 seconds from WR. Yes, not even half of a second. 33:42 was my new PB, coming from a previous 34:07. This was the time where I started getting more completed runs, and my consistency was finally where it should've been. In the days following my 33:42, I managed a 33:52, 33:46, another 33:46 (that was a few runs after the first one), and another 33:42 (which was 0.4sec from WR again >_>). What surprised me at this point though, was not just my consistency and viewer count, but that the viewers were all getting attached to this WR grind. I'd take extended breaks, and barely anyone ever left. Maybe they were watching another stream with mine open, but they were still there. Everyone was very supportive, even encouraging me to take my time with breaks and grinding.

December 28th, my runs started to flop. Only getting past Stage 3 a handful of times until the 30th. It started after I failed a run 20 seconds ahead of WR after Stage A the previous day. It was a very easy spot that I just pressed an input to early on.

The 30th came by, and I just wasn't having it with the bone dragon in 3-3 that wanted to start spawning everytime (when it shouldn't, kills your run if it spawns. Unknown reasoning. Either RNG or sprite limit.) I changed my strat to something a few seconds slower, but the chance of the bone dragon spawning is very low. This safe strat ended up barely wasting any time, as I was able to ring glitch right away, unlike most attempts when I damage boost from the bone dragon immediately. This allowed me to play through the game more often, and I ended up choking an even better run that was more than 20 seconds ahead of WR after Stage A. I died just before entering Slogra (first Final4 boss), where I've never died before. After that, I did something dumb in Stage 4 and was pretty irritated. Ended up falling asleep for an hour with my stream running by accident. I got myself together after that, and went back for more attempts. I was getting a cheesesteak for dinner so I didn't have much time until I had to take a break again. My goal besides 33:33, was to have WR by the end of 2013.

I ended up not just getting WR, but smashing it by 20 seconds with a 33:21 SDA time. A ton of people were there to see it, along with some inspirations that got me into speedrunning. I've been getting messages saying congrats which is awesome. And I've been seeing a big spark of interest in the game, which is way better. I assumed no one really knew much of it since there were only a handful of runners, in which if we're lucky, there's one of 'em active in running the game.

This run was crazy, seeing as my execution was still not great (until >Stage 9), and RNG was very bad overall. My new goal is sub33:10. I can save 10 - 30 seconds with better execution and much better RNG. Though the problem with beating this time, is my Final4 is basically perfect. I vow that will never happen again.

Also I like to speedrun other games. Diddy Kong Racing (50:28 Any% PB), A Link to the Past (Master Sword No S&Q), and I still like to play/stream other games casually. Since I can take my time with CV4 now, I'll be playing these other games more often.

Sorry for extremely super long post, but damn have things picked up rather quickly. AGDQ should be great this year.

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
buMf00d  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to AGDQ!

Congratulations on your WR jdamillio, I've been meaning to try to get into speedrunning but I just can't find the game that I want to play sadly enough.
BucketBlue  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome stuff, Joe. I'm not really a CV fan myself, but I did watch one of your streams since I saw it on SRL. Good job getting on the list. I'd love to get on there myself since I'm learning to run some games, just too bad the games I do run have like no active players. You have to race a lot to get on it don't you?

Anyone else thinks it's cool that GH players are switching to speedrunning? I think it's awesome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: