ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What is the hardest game you have ever played?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: What is the hardest game you have ever played? Reply with quote

I kinda want to see how Scorehero responds to this.

As for me, the hardest game I have ever played is the original Rayman for the PS1 (the DSi and GBA ports are significantly easier). I have never made it past Band Land. The farthest I have made it was the end of the first section of Gong Hills (which I played last night), then my game froze. XD Do you want to see how hard it can get though? Well, here you go!

Zman10894  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 influx of Super Meat Boy

Mine would probably have to be F-Zero GX from the Gamecube. The Grand Prix races start to get really insane once the Master difficulty comes into play, along with the infamous Story Mode. I was never able to unlock all the characters because of how stupidly difficult the Story Mode got. I may try again one of these days, but for right now, my attempts are being put on hold.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrMilksop94
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman10894 wrote:
inb4 influx of Super Meat Boy

Mine would probably have to be F-Zero GX from the Gamecube. The Grand Prix races start to get really insane once the Master difficulty comes into play, along with the infamous Story Mode. I was never able to unlock all the characters because of how stupidly difficult the Story Mode got. I may try again one of these days, but for right now, my attempts are being put on hold.

I have heard F-Zero GX being ridiculously difficult. And from what I have seen (and heard about difficulties harder than Normal) from the Let's Play that BrainScratch Commentaries did a couple of years ago, I can see why it is so hard.

I am kind of half expecting a bunch of people saying I Wanna Be The Guy is the hardest game they've ever played. But I didn't say it because it wasn't ever on a console.

MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalhead911 wrote:
I am kind of half expecting a bunch of people saying I Wanna Be The Guy is the hardest game they've ever played.

It's not that bad.
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
Metalhead911 wrote:
I am kind of half expecting a bunch of people saying I Wanna Be The Guy is the hardest game they've ever played.

It's not that bad.

Can't tell if troll post or not.

MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalhead911 wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:
Metalhead911 wrote:

It's not that bad.

Can't tell if troll post or not.

It's really not. You can separate IWBTG into two difficult bits: figuring out what to do and actually doing it.

Getting past a section for the first time often involves unintuitive solutions- like the fake wall in the starting room that leads to Kraidgief's route. This isn't a big deal because you can just look up a LP or whatever and figure out where to go. If you don't want to do this- developing the lateral thinking skills you'll need to win really isn't hard.

Actually getting past hard bits is simply muscle memory. Do the same thing over and over and it gets pretty damn easy.

It's not particularly difficult, it just has a really frustrating trial-and-error system.
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
It's not particularly difficult, it just has a really frustrating trial-and-error system.
In a way, the same thing can be said about Super Meat Boy. Now don't get me wrong about Super Meat Boy, it got me cursing and swearing like a trooper on my way to completing it and it is most certainly one of the most satisfying completions I've gotten on the 360, but really it always was just a case of try and try again, whether it takes you 5 minutes or 5 hours to get through a stage. In fact, my "it's 5am and I only just woke up 2 minutes ago" brain would honestly just toss up Super Meat Boy as the hardest game I've ever played purely because I just can't think of any others at this very juncture.

...yeah I honestly can't think of any other games at the moment. Maybe when my brain switches on a little later on today >_> I do expect some Dark Souls mentionings in here though :p
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
bclare  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psxfreak101 wrote:
I do expect some Dark Souls mentionings in here though :p

Dark Souls is a different kind of "hard" though. In most games, when you die you get no progress and have to go back and try again. In Dark Souls you die a lot, but you can get something out of it. I think people just call the game hard because you die, but it's a different paradigm really.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's two different kinds of difficulty, what I like to call bullshit difficulty (IE. IWBTG) where a large portion of deaths comes from unfair popouts that are unavoidable unless you already know it's coming. It's still incredibly hard, but once you figure out what to do it's not nearly so bad.

Then you have things like Ranger hard difficulty for Metro 2033.... That is a nightmare unto itself, as opposed to getting 8-15 rounds from ammo pickups you now get 1 round per ammo pickup. And while almost all enemies can be killed in 1-2 shots (minus the librarians), so can you. Which granted on some levels does have some incredibly unfair difficulty, such as one level where you have to sneak around the fascist and Communist forces fighting each other on a bridge, and a single stray bullet can kill you.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psxfreak101 wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:
In a way, the same thing can be said about Super Meat Boy. Now don't get me wrong about Super Meat Boy, it got me cursing and swearing like a trooper on my way to completing it and it is most certainly one of the most satisfying completions I've gotten on the 360, but really it always was just a case of try and try again, whether it takes you 5 minutes or 5 hours to get through a stage. In fact, my "it's 5am and I only just woke up 2 minutes ago" brain would honestly just toss up Super Meat Boy as the hardest game I've ever played purely because I just can't think of any others at this very juncture.

...yeah I honestly can't think of any other games at the moment. Maybe when my brain switches on a little later on today >_> I do expect some Dark Souls mentionings in here though :p

Yeah, I agree. SMBoy is basically IWBTG without the trial-and-error bullshit (and by that I mean the unfair popouts that Nubnut speaks of- shit you have to die to and remember to avoid next time).

Actual hardest games? Asian shit. Manic shooters and rhythm games are absolutely ridiculous.
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the games I've actually tried progressing through, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link wins this category easily. I still haven't made it past the second dungeon (and being forced to go all the way back to that dungeon from the spawn point whenever you game over is a pure motivation killer).

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played this game, but I have seen someone play it in action. It is said to be a lot harder than it looks. The game is called Soviet Strike for the PS1. And here is a (Warning....long) video of it.

Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Legend of Zelda 2, I never beat that game to this day.

And it just crossed my mind that if we're talking about most difficult to "complete", then things like Arma 2 co-op multiplayer missions are by far the hardest thing in existence, even if you do have an incredibly well structured clan. EX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M59azhHuDaw

PS. Shack Tac videos are hands down the most epic things on youtube.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Davers  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda 2 is one of the hardest I've played. I have beaten it and it is QUITE satisfying. TONS easier the second time around though. One of the most fun games I've ever played. Here's my victory pic:

But Fester's Quest will forever and always be the hardest game I've ever played in my opinion. I seriously don't see how that game is possible without a game genie. Fun game, just impossible!
Parama  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Rayman is awesome though it's hard only when you're learning the levels. The precision required isn't that high but you need to know what you're doing.

That being said, hmm.
The Layton games are all really difficult when you get to the bonus puzzle sliders. Screw those things. I still can't solve any but the third game's last puzzle to this day. Not without a guide :V

Aside from that I can't really think of any mainstream games I found incredibly difficult to the point of "I can't beat this". Hell I can't think of any indie games like that either. I've played some really damn hard ones but even then I could beat them if I wanted to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: