ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Fight Stick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klaww  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Fight Stick Reply with quote

Okay, other forums have turned up nothing so i figured I'd try here.
I've decided i want to commit to fighting games and play them more, first with buying a fight stick. If this matters: Im playing on PS3, mostly skullgirls, tekken and maybe mortal kombat.
I'd just like one that is under $100. All the other forums rec. ones like $200+, or cheap ones that are no longer available. What would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good guide to start with! Usually, most Madcatz, Hori, and Qanba/Eightarc products are safe bets if you can find them in a price range you can deal with.

If you're really wanting to get serious be careful about being too cheap because you'll just end up spending more later if what you get isn't easy to mod and you realize you need something better.

Also, usually around the time big tournaments happen some manufacturers put out deals that take a good chunk off the price so keep a lookout for those too.

Saturn pads are better anyway :v

<bjw> :U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U
Klaww  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link(s)!
That SFIV one at the beginning i see a lot, but i can't find it for the $70 this guy has listed, usually only $120+. I'll have to look at the list more when i have more time, but i should be able to find SOMETHING, even though most these cheaper ones are 6 button.
I'm looking at the X-arcade dual, simply cause i was going to buy two anyway...
thanks for the help

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation3-PS3-Hori-Mini-3-Fight-Stick-arcade-Joystick-Control-/180997761747?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4759723675520435730%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D180997761747%26
Would something like this suffice? Its a touch cheaper than what the guide seems to recommend, but it still is hori.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tournament player I only use Madcatz stuff. I recently bought a SF x Tekken V.S. Edition stick which came at a hefty price but is great quality.

I personally would not get any Hori sticks and especially not the one you mentioned, mostly because, I've never seen it at tournaments.

For the most part, the more money gets you the better stick. The only one I would recommend at a lower cost than usual is a Qanba stick which is basically the same as a tournament edition Madcatz stick as far as the parts go. An added bonus for that one is that it's dual modded. I personally can't use it because of wrist issues.

If you really want to take fighting games more seriously spent a little bit more money is my advice.
Klaww  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for sure. I can tell this one wont be like a high quality use in tournaments one. I just don't have THAT much money right now, i figured i'd get a somewhat cheaper one now to get used to a stick, then invest in a SFIV or X tekken one for christmas. Yeah, i know i gotta drop a lotta money, i just want a cheaper one to hold me off for right now, after finding out how much they cost.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaww wrote:
Yeah, for sure. I can tell this one wont be like a high quality use in tournaments one. I just don't have THAT much money right now, i figured i'd get a somewhat cheaper one now to get used to a stick, then invest in a SFIV or X tekken one for christmas. Yeah, i know i gotta drop a lotta money, i just want a cheaper one to hold me off for right now, after finding out how much they cost.

In all honesty, you would still not want to get that particular stick. Go out of your way to find a Tournament Edition Madcatz stick, they shouldn't go for too much if they're used. It will always be the better purchase.
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Hori-stick.
This one -> http://www.gamehoot.com/2010/07/xbox-360-accessories/top-3-arcade-sticks.html

It's the number three on that list. It's not that expensive and it's really a good Arcade Stick if it's your first.

Buying a 150 dollar Arcade stick and then finding out that using a Arcade stick isn't your thing is just a waste of money. So if I were you I would first try a cheap(er) one and when you decide that you're ready for the next level THEN upgrade to a more expensive one. (And of course sell the cheap one)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhYYZ wrote:

Buying a 150 dollar Arcade stick and then finding out that using a Arcade stick isn't your thing is just a waste of money. So if I were you I would first try a cheap(er) one and when you decide that you're ready for the next level THEN upgrade to a more expensive one. (And of course sell the cheap one)

See, that's what i mean. I want a cheaper one to start me off with before i lay down a large amount of money. I might not get that exact one, because it seems to be xbox only, but if hori is reliable enough for one's first controller, i could work with that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaww wrote:

See, that's what i mean. I want a cheaper one to start me off with before i lay down a large amount of money. I might not get that exact one, because it seems to be xbox only, but if hori is reliable enough for one's first controller, i could work with that.

Hori is somewhat reliable but that Arcade stick you picked looks really plastic....

I would go for something a bit more sturdy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i found a couple of better ones on ebay, such as a SFIV one, but you know with ebay its not a guaranteed thing. So i'm going to look for a better one, yeah, but if all else fails ill just say screw it and go with the mini.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i did some browsin on ebay, and i found a couple of potential ones.
Theres a somewhat cheap SE SFIV, but thats already got a couple of bids, so thats not likely.
After that, a SFIV TE (which is like the best on the market, am i correct) real cheap(included with a copy of sfxt), only one bid on it. this will definitely go up, but i'm willing to put way more money on this one because the stick is that good and with a game.
ending after that, a soul calibur V one, which i havent really heard much about but it's madcatz, so if that TE doesn't work out ill snag this one. And then if those dont work out, ill grab up that hori one.
Thanks for all the help, though.
ill post back on sunday with which one i got.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaww wrote:
So i did some browsin on ebay, and i found a couple of potential ones.
Theres a somewhat cheap SE SFIV, but thats already got a couple of bids, so thats not likely.
After that, a SFIV TE (which is like the best on the market, am i correct) real cheap(included with a copy of sfxt), only one bid on it. this will definitely go up, but i'm willing to put way more money on this one because the stick is that good and with a game.
ending after that, a soul calibur V one, which i havent really heard much about but it's madcatz, so if that TE doesn't work out ill snag this one. And then if those dont work out, ill grab up that hori one.
Thanks for all the help, though.
ill post back on sunday with which one i got.

SCV one is good as well. I use that one when the tournament i go to is PS3.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the guy selling the TE was a derp and took it off ebay, someone bought the SCV one, and so my options were left at SFIV SE or that hori, so i got a SE for about $45. But come round my birthday in march, im going to drop a good amount of money on a newer better one.

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaww wrote:
Well, the guy selling the TE was a derp and took it off ebay, someone bought the SCV one, and so my options were left at SFIV SE or that hori, so i got a SE for about $45. But come round my birthday in march, im going to drop a good amount of money on a newer better one.

Hori parts aren't bad, they just don't last as long as Sanwa parts.

You also pay for the heftyness of the stick, and the size/casing. That's what really sets the two apart. You save $50 modding a stick by buying all sanwa parts, and a $50 SE stick, but you still have a lightweight stick that moves around a lot.

However, a cheap fix for that, is to fasten the stick to a table with either C clamps, or L brackets.

It also depends how crafty you are. It only costs $50 for a set of Sanwa buttons, and a joystick. If you wanted to make a casing out of something that you have laying around (Wood works great if you want a hefty stick, and layer the top with plexiglass so that the buttons has something to snap onto), and then you can buy a SF4 SE stick and use the internals to talk to the xbox (or my favorite, hacking a $25 wired xbox 360 controller), you can make an awesome stick for under $100.

It also depends on the feel of the buttons that you want, and this is where making your own custom stick really shines. Seimitsu buttons only press when they're at the exact bottom. Sanwa/Hori does not. Semitisu sticks have a shorter throw, so if you don't like to do much motion or are more interested in using the stick for shmups, that's the stick that you want to go with. I've yet to have been able to buy a set of seimitsu buttons for my joystick, but I don't use it enough. My personal favorite setup is a sanwa JLF stick, with an 8 direction octagon restictor plate, along with seimitsu buttons.

Those buttons are about the same price as the Sanwa buttons. So, once again, if you're crafty, you can make an amazing stick for under $100.

My next stick that I plan on making from the ground up, is going to be from a casing of a RROD 360. That one I think I am going to make into my everything-in-one joystick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: