ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Xbox One Revealed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn shit, Sony made a great video LOL

PS4 399$ December 1st
X1 499$ November (i'd guess right before Black Friday)

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathya wrote:
This needs to be here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

I've never seen shots fired directly at a company before. Every other console reveal, they try to make their own console as close to par as possible. This year, they blew it out of the park. Stronger games, indie developers, and then at the end, the straight shots at Microsoft with the said quoted video.

As a fighting game fan, I have to side with PS4. The FGC already said they won't run xbox due to the DRM issues/always needing to be connected online/always needing the kinect to be connected. I will be buying an Xbox One though if Cave sticks with Microsoft. I have a soft spot for shmups :/
raynebc  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this morning that Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced for PS4, so it's likely that I'll be picking up a PS4 and not an Xbone.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what I'm seeing, the only actual difference in DRM for the One is that they require a once a day server ping to check some things (likely related to the library sharing system) at which point you can do what you want.

There's no system-wide ban or fee or whatever on used games on either platform. Both companies are putting the decision of used game fees on the publishers. Which means that PS4 games even when exclusive could quite easily have some kind of anti-used game thing like a code or pass. The only guarantee is that first party games won't have that, something MS is also doing. (Again, barring the daily ping that's likely only because of a feature they have.)

Basically Sony touted that they were superior when all they really have is one thing, the lack of the online check, but that's likely a result of the shared library thing that MS has and they don't.

EDIT:

HMM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still too early to tell. Not everyone has $900+ to drop on both game consoles so people are going to have to pick and in that case the lower price always wins (unlike this past generation, where non-1%ers like me could realistically own all the consoles). The perception that Sony isn't charging any fees for used games will probably sell a lot of consoles, even if MS is doing the same thing. I also like how they quietly said that PS+ is now required for multiplayer. At this point I don't think that's a major issue for most people, although "free multiplayer!" is no longer a selling point for Playstation. We can't say who "won" the console war, but as far as generating hype and winning the marketing war, it was Sony hands down. The cheeky shots fired were a smart marketing move and I can't blame them one bit for it.

I wasn't surprised to see FF15 and KH3 coming to X1 either, considering FF13 was on 360. But I think anybody who plays a lot of RPGs will be leaning towards PS4 anyway because lesser known titles will most likely be exclusive.

If I get anything it won't be for a long time either way. So still plenty of time to wait and see (although the WiiU is looking more appealing now)

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
raynebc  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:

HMM

I eventually saw this after my previous post. At this point, however, it's looking like there are far too many pros for the PS4 (not underclocked, cheaper, more favorable DRM policy) for me to consider Xbone. Microsoft will have to offer some compelling exclusives or otherwise right the ship before I'll give it any more consideration.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Still too early to tell. Not everyone has $900+ to drop on both game consoles so people are going to have to pick and in that case the lower price always wins (unlike this past generation, where non-1%ers like me could realistically own all the consoles).

I'm sure launch prices won't be around forever. With another 7 year or more generation being likely people will likely end up with more than one console eventually.

(Small reminder that the original launch Xbox 360 was $400 for a 20gb HDD, the system and a controller.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, the only reason I have all 3 consoles was because of a combination of a gift, marriage and only a bit of my own cash (I bought a Wii on launch). Since I'm too old to get consoles as presents anymore I can safely say I won't own every console of this generation until they drop in price significantly, but even then I probably won't have them all. I would be surprised to see the prices go down too much any time soon, though (unless MS decided to sell at a huge loss and undercut Sony, but it's doubtful). Heh, wasn't the original PS3 like $600? Granted, a Blu-Ray player at the time was like $800 so it was a steal, but still. We've all seen how prices can really hurt the sales.

But even having them all it was just that I felt the overall experience was better on 360 and it's where all my friends were (also, Rock Band). By the time I buy a next gen console I'll have a good idea of how many of my friends have which console and which one it makes more sense to get. Same reason why I have an iPhone. Actually, it's pretty interesting to think about how the choices of others influence what we buy or use... but it makes sense when a lot of what we use depends so much on the social aspect (why do you think nobody is on Google+? Because none of their friends are, and so on)

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Heh, wasn't the original PS3 like $600?

i think it was 619$ for the 20gb model and 669$ for the 60gb. like you said, the blu-ray player was the hot selling point but that was the most costly parts of the entire console, hence the price.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you guys are talking about features and the DRM and the prices of the consoles... but you guys haven't discussed the actual hardware yet? Don't you guys wanna know what you are buying? and how they compare to each other?

IMO it's not just the price of the PS4 that makes me completely side with Sony this time around, or the fact that Microsoft requires ALWAYS ON and all this DRM BS. Nope, its not just that lol.... it is also because from a technical stand point, the PS4 is without a doubt superior.

The Sony PS4 has an single-chip eight-core AMD Jaguar custom low power x86-64 APU with a Radeon based graphics engine, 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. And from what i have read, it has almost DOUBLE the shaders of the Xbox One. I have even seen hardware and PC sites say that the PS4 has a GPU comparable to the HD 7870 (specs wise) and the Xbox One has a GPU comparable to the HD 7790. Now, the HD 7790 is not a bad GPU by any means, but the HD 7870 is quite a jump. It is not just the fact that it has the specs, and raw power of the 7870, but with console devs designing the game for that set of hardware, we could predict that we MIGHT (don't quote me) see HD 7950 performance on the PS4 for only $400.

Now, i don't want to come off as a fan boy, but the PS4 is without a doubt the better buy. Obviously though, if you have more friends on Xbox and want to play the exclusives then it probably wouldn't be too bad of a choice. But for me personally i REALLY don't want a kinect camera staring at me all day while being forced to be connected to the internet. I am a PC player btw for most of my games, but i might buy a PS4 because of how much a bargain it is for $400.

I usually would never play/have the desire to get a console for FPS games or RPG's and such but the PS4 is a hell of a deal, and has alot to offer for only $400. Not to say the Xbox is a total fail, but for an extra $100 i don't see how it could possibly be worth it.

Anyways, please don't take anything i say to heart. I am just trying to add the conversation since there is so much talk about next gen gaming with e3 being hear and such.

raynebc  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention Xbone's GPU allegedly being underclocked due to bad hardware design.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the ps4 was powerful, but I didn't know it was *that* powerful. Sony would be a fool to not only let Steam back on ship with the ps4, but let Steam make their own conversions of PC games to work on the ps4. Why not? Its powerful enough, and its now the same architecture.

As far as the Kinect is concerned, as soon as I heard that, I already had gears in my head in getting an Xbox One, just to see if I can gut the kinect and add power switches to each camera/mic. I basically want to see if it'll let me turn on the Xbox one, without any individual component getting power internally, to see if it'll still work.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to sum the whole thing up pretty well for me: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-every-game-company-gets-wrong-about-gamers/

More than anything I hate the display of ignorance/privilege in the "who doesn't have internet in 2013?" argument I hear people making defending Microsoft's always online policy. It's more than whether or not one has internet now, it's about future-proofing the console and making the console accessible to more people.

Microsoft's recent PR flub didn't do much to instill any faith either, when their answer to servicemen and people without internet is "sorry, next gen isn't for you." The whole thing makes me wonder, if I were to buy an X1 what would happen in 10 years if MS shuts down the servers? Would my console stop working and become useless even with single player games? I hope they have a plan for the future and explain that functionality soon, because right now it looks like my kids will be able to play all my old consoles forever, but my X1 would be useless once MS has moved on to the next thing. Scary thought, and one big reason why always online is pretty much a dealbreaker even though I have a reliable internet connection at the moment.

1KJ08mq.jpg
inv4der  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlakePlaysGH wrote:
i REALLY don't want a kinect camera staring at me all day

Just gonna note, this is massively outdated regarding the Kinect requirements.

MS has said you can turn off sensing at any time barring during games that require the peripheral. Even the "Xbox On" thing is toggleable. Also nothing the Kinect senses leaves the console without explicit permission.

There is no spy camera.

Actually, now that I think about it, who's the source on the hardware details? It's always worth being sure of info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, who's the source on the hardware details? It's always worth being sure of info.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

And here's a source for the downclock rumors http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: