ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
FeedBack returns...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkeyMan  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: FeedBack returns... Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm resurrecting FeedBack, it will be a full game.
I've been out of here a long time, can anyone point me at a set of comprehensive material regarding what's known about all the games released since GH3 or so?

Is there data known about midi format details throughout each different version of GH and RB? List of known events, what they mean, other ancillary data used for animation and visualisations... I need to know as much as possible about the formats for every release of GH and RB, does such a tome exist? :)

Also, I'll need gfx designers. There are a few coders on board, but no art.
I want it to be a proper team project this time, I don't have so much time like I used to...
PowerM3tal  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not of much help, but this is fantastic news. What will make FeedBack different than other GH clones like FoFiX?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powerm3tal
TurkeyMan  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerM3tal wrote:
I'm not of much help, but this is fantastic news. What will make FeedBack different than other GH clones like FoFiX?

I kinda feel fofix is a bit clunky.
It won't be written in python for a start, and written by veteran game dev's; that's sure to make the experience better.
I intend to do console ports, since I prefer playing on consoles.

It'll take some time to reach the bar they set, but I think it can be taken a lot further.
Hopefully better synchronisation, with much lower level access to the hardware. More robust theme support, full 3d UI/backgrounds. I intend to support pro instruments, and maybe even a rocksmith style guitar track down the line.

We'll see I guess. But competition is usually a good thing ;)
HotZin  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I need is a way to instantly flip strums into hammer-ons, and proper reading of the chart and I'd be fine with a 0.98b. Like how quantitized 1/11 are read as hopos and etc is kinda weird, and the fact that you can do forced ho/pos and strums by using N 5 0 note placements in the same offset as a certain note (GH3 only possibly) is also required to have a feature, and not crash Feedback when a chart tries to display an N 5 0 note (obviously invisible). In simple words, we need a feature that in the press of a key, you can flip the strums into ho/pos and vice-versa.

As of RB information, you should probably check out EoF's progress in the Frets on Fire forums, the guy has pretty much turned his editor into a RB editor, even supporting PRO Guitar charting.
TurkeyMan  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotZin wrote:
As of RB information, you should probably check out EoF's progress in the Frets on Fire forums, the guy has pretty much turned his editor into a RB editor, even supporting PRO Guitar charting.

Ah cool, first I heard of EoF. Didn't miss a single one of my innovations ;)
Looks like a good editor, I might as well leave it to them, I'd rather work on gameplay for now. I think GH/RB needs a really good and customisable open-source simulator, like stepmania was to DDR.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOF has pretty much been branching into real guitar games (Rock Band 3, Rocksmith) the last several years, but I still maintain support for more traditional rhythm games. If you ever run into any specific questions, or decide to implement a new chart format (or enhance the existing .chart format to add new features) let me know.
TurkeyMan  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
If you ever run into any specific questions, or decide to implement a new chart format (or enhance the existing .chart format to add new features) let me know.

I think .chart will probably just be replaced. There's waaaaay too many .chart's and associated tools in the wild to go fiddling with that format.
Do you have a new format? If there's already a developed 'standard' that people are using, and suits my purposes, then I might as well roll with that.
I thought about just sticking with midi, but the initial reason i made .chart was because I value just being able to read it, and also you can diff .chart's, which I liked. But midi has the advantage that there are any number of editors, although it's easy to make a converter I guess...
raynebc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, the only other really established format across multiple games is MIDI, which isn't a huge leap since the original .chart format uses MIDI style timings anyway. Rocksmith uses an XML based format where beat positions, notes, etc. are given in realtime to a resolution of 3 decimal places (accurate to the millisecond).
TurkeyMan  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
As you say, the only other really established format across multiple games is MIDI, which isn't a huge leap since the original .chart format uses MIDI style timings anyway. Rocksmith uses an XML based format where beat positions, notes, etc. are given in realtime to a resolution of 3 decimal places (accurate to the millisecond).

Yeah, the only reason I'm not excited about using midi, is that you can't diff midi files. I think there's value in human readable data, but I do really like to be able to diff them.
Rocksmith sounds like an odd decision. I don't really like realtime formats. Difficult to edit.

I suspect I'll probably develop another format. Is it of any interest to you to co-develop another more general open format for many rhythm games?
I want the new feedback to play songs from many rhythm games, which all bring some unique features here and there. One that I've been wanting for ages is to support the Bemani games. GuitarFreak/Drummania/Keyboardmania cabinets have shared songs, and they network so you can play together as a band. All the pieces are there for a good living room experience.
There'll be a strong emphasis on theme support in the new FeedBack, so you can configure it to simulate your preferred environment, while giving access to much more content, and probably more instruments.

Given good skinning/theming tools, it should be interesting to see what the community comes up with. I used to work on StepMania, and we had great experience with community content when the tools were accessible.
raynebc  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably don't have enough time or attention span to be much help in developing a new format, but if you're already familiar with the SM format used by StepMania, you could always create one similar to that. I understand it uses fractional beat/measure timings, kind of similar to UltraStar. NewCreature had previously mentioned to me an interest in creating a text format for a note chart, it might be worth messaging him to see if he'd made any significant progress on that.

Last edited by raynebc on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
xbillax  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is extremely exciting!
Rocksmith charting support would be amazing.

I must thank you for your effort making Feedback and that you will continue to improve it!
GH5 00/85 - GHVH 00/47 - GHWoR 00/93 - GHL 00/42
Syfatalityz  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Now?

There was a game called Phase Shift awhile back, not sure if it's still being updated, but iirc it was much better than FoFiX, so the bar's even higher than it.

Good luck, although it's been awhile since I last played.
drinkfloridaoj  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best news!
xbillax  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just wonder about something.

When I open a .mid in Feedback (0.96b and 0.97b), I sometimes notice that short sustains simply vanishes on some songs (0.5 beat sustains on Red Lottery from GH2 is a great example).

I was merely wondering if anyone know what might cause this?
GH5 00/85 - GHVH 00/47 - GHWoR 00/93 - GHL 00/42
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: