ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
I want to take a moment and thank Scorehero

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: I want to take a moment and thank Scorehero Reply with quote

When I was a teenager, I had friends, but I was never really a very chatty person. I was kind of quiet and shy. For my 15th birthday (9 years ago), I got the first guitar hero game and I instantly fell in love with it. I found scorehero not too long after and this was my main forum to go to for at least a couple years (also gamefaqs) until I sort of lost interest in guitar hero. I still go back and play it occasionally, but I used to play every day. Even still, back then I knew very little about internet life and forum boards and all that good stuff. I want to thank scorehero for not only being an amazing forum to browse and talk to everyone, but also that everyone was very respectful. A lot of you guys showed me how to be a genuine poster and who knows, I may be a troll right now if it wasn't for scorehero, or I may be postingz likesz thisszzszs!!!1 Scorehero showed me that decent people do post online and I learned proper post etiquette. I could actually look up to you guys, because I saw how you guys posted and I respected that. I was recently browsing the scorehero forums and quickly found out that I still post the same way that a lot of people do on here. Old habits die hard I guess.

I've been here since 2006...man, time flies. Even Riz (please tell me you remember him) being mean to everyone helped show me how to talk to people without coming across as an ass (I know he was just doing his job, I'm being funny). Between everyone, I learned how to post and how not to post.

I think the most important thing though, was that these communication skills carried over through my real life. I always think things through, even still, so as not to come across as judgmental. You guys made it cool to be respectful. You guys were mature, well mannered people and it really helped posting on here all the time, talking to everyone. Even though Riz was a pain in the ass, he (and the other mods) did an excellent job of taking care of everything and getting rid of the trolls (though there were few).

I'm a suicide counselor now and I just want to say that I definitely learned a great deal of communication skills on scorehero growing up. Not that I was a rude child, but it was a great learning experience.

So in conclusion, I just want to say thank you...to everyone who was around for the tail end of the 2000's, and also to the people now who don't post like a jackass.

Thanks again!
Midnight-Rider  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not in any position to speak considering how comparatively new I am here but I/we deeply appreciate the kind words. Hope things are going well for you. ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, don't talk crazy. Based on your post, you definitely are part of the family. Scorehero will always be one of my main internet families...you guys practically cyber-raised me.

But hey, welcome aboard! I'm telling you, this is a very decent forum. Even other really good forums...you have to watch what you say sometimes because there's always trolls lurking about, but here there's few and far between.

I always felt like I could post anything here (within the rules of course) and not been flamed for an opinion.

Thanks though, man, I appreciate it.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

users from 2006 have gained 8 years in life. thats alot for a gaming forum. I think it's normal to say that, that this 8 years was probably gained in maturity which help the language and how you approach people. time has it's effect on everybody.

that said, we dont just help each others with plastic skills, we help each other with real life stuff too, whether it's small or big thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, though I wasn't on the staff back then I really enjoyed reading that. This really is a great community, which is why I still frequent this forum even when I'm not playing GH/RB. We have a ton of people that idle in the IRC channel that probably havent picked up a plastar in years.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is amazing how time flies and hard to believe so many years have passed. To give some history for newer members (and probably most older members), it seems like yesterday that I meet Matt on the DDRFreak forums in hopes to use his Excel-spreadsheet to track and improve my DDR scores. As a software engineering student at the time, I developed ddrhometracker.com (no longer maintained) to extend and share functionality from that spreadsheet mostly with other friends, but made available to the public. It served its purpose well but never got much use outside of myself and a core group of users.

Later that year a friend brought Guitar Hero to my house and I was quickly hooked and obsessed with improving my skills to achieve 5-stars. I frequented the official forum.guitarherogame.com game forums and found the ScoreHero Yahoo group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ScoreHero/info) where a similar scoring Excel-sheet was created for GH by DiscGolferPro. Using most of the work I had already done for DDR, some modifications were made and ScoreHero.com was born.

Having originated from an environment of sharing goals and challenging amongst friends to improve, I'd always strived to maintain that same fun/competitive atmosphere online when unexpected levels of growth started occurring. Some excellent individuals were met along the way that shared the vision and we worked hard to monitor activity, provide leaderboard integrity and set good examples on the forums, but ultimately it's the many great people that frequently use and contribute to the great wealth of information on the forums and wiki, and database of (over 10 million) scores that defined the community. As numbers spiked we did need to employ more strict rules to keep control of our vision, but that was a learning experience for us just as well as it was for others.

Thanks for sharing your experience and staying in touch over the years, mninp. I still have plans for the future of the site/community as Theatrhythm has recently been added for scoretracking and HMX has the Amplitude remake on the way hopefully later this year. So I look forward to evolving with times while keeping the community feeling intact and passing on our great experiences with newer members.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This community and this game have become a foundation for my YouTube channel, which is now over three years old. I started out as a guy who would upload random gameplays for fun. Well, they weren't entirely random, because I'm sure no one I knew was into Hot Shots Golf or Super Mario or those games they make every two years based on game shows.

When I got Guitar Hero, it started out as another recreational activity just like any of the previously mentioned games. I was a young guy who discovered a talent in FCing countless songs on Guitar Hero. So I took up this community, and since then I've met a remarkable number of like-minded folks who have shared in my interest in Guitar Hero and witnessed my accomplishments.

Thanks for the time I've been fortunate to invest here. Seriously, you guys rock
8/7/18 - Fury of the Storm FC

On Jan 24, 2016, AdamHero wrote:
peach you are good at guitar hero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Peachfanclub PSN Name: Peachfanclub Wii Friend Code: 0475108893170582
Fhdra  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Kingofterrors  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pleasure to read. Nice to hear how things have turned out.

I have fond memories of this place as well.

I am looking forward to, and hoping for new life with the new Rockband/Guitar Hero games on the way.

Nice to see you still kicking JC .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingofterrors wrote:
That was a pleasure to read. Nice to hear how things have turned out.

I have fond memories of this place as well.

I am looking forward to, and hoping for new life with the new Rockband/Guitar Hero games on the way.

Nice to see you still kicking JC .

I came here to post pretty much this.

ScoreHero really did become a pivotal number of years in my life, too. The site and the users who frequent it helped me stay stable at a time where I felt like all hope was lost. To be less negative, it also kept me motivated to improve and document everything (including arthritis, of course). I love this place. You thank ScoreHero for so many things, allow me to thank you for posting your story, as I really did appreciate reading it.

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: