Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Information on GH3 QB scripts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExileLord  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Information on GH3 QB scripts? Reply with quote

I'm looking to see if there's any information on .qb scripts for Guitar Hero III. From what I know so far is that it's a Neversoft format that's been used at least since THPS3.

Has there been any work done decompiling or hacking the uncompressed scripts? I would rather not waste the effort trying to reverse them myself if someone else has done the work already. It looks like this has been done in other Tony Hawk games but I would have expected to see those tools posted here as well.

I'm reversing various bits of GH3 but I suspect I will need to modify scripts moving forward. Without knowing what's in them though, I can't know for sure. A surprising amount of mundane behavior in GH3 seems to just be hard-coded (like the fire particle randomization when hitting sustains).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the hex scripts?

I have been playing around in Queen Bee for World Tour and there is so many fun stuff to play around with.
Buldy  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why work on GH3, when we have world tour with much more features? Anyways, I think the structure of qb in world tour is very similar to GH3, so if you make any progress there, it could be applied to world tour as well.
mexicanobrazil  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Information on GH3 QB scripts? Reply with quote

ExileLord wrote:
I'm looking to see if there's any information on .qb scripts for Guitar Hero III. From what I know so far is that it's a Neversoft format that's been used at least since THPS3.

Wait a sec, you mean we can apply the same method they use to edit THPS3 into GH3?

If that's the idea, then could be possible. No one actually tried to change the .qb files unless the ones from the songs (this one has been touched by many, but the work is not near 100% complete).

Buldy wrote:
Why work on GH3, when we have world tour with much more features?

Because it's only way to get a good fun if you don't have an instrument and World Tour. I know that, own experience from PC.
perrigosd  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buldy wrote:
Why work on GH3, when we have world tour with much more features? Anyways, I think the structure of qb in world tour is very similar to GH3, so if you make any progress there, it could be applied to world tour as well.

In WT they removed controller support
ExileLord  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buldy wrote:

Because I like GH3 best. If I pick up a drum-kit I might try messing with WT. I really doubt Neversoft reworked anything significant in the time between GH3 and WT. They already based GH3 on one of the THPS engines after all and people have been using QueenBee for Tony Hawk games.

I vaguely recall WT having even more performance issues than GH3 but that might be my imagination.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrigosd wrote:

What do you mean by that? Which controller support? Every controller that worked with GH 3 works with WT for me. (Except if you mean like gamepad, which is used for vocals - but playing it on a gamepad?)

ExileLord wrote:
I really doubt Neversoft reworked anything significant in the time between GH3 and WT.

Well, quite a few things. First, slider notes - you don't have to have the world tour controller to be able to play them and I find them fun.
Next - support for overlapping notes - adds a bit more challenge and very fun to play too.
Open bass note - more possibilities and something unique for bass.
The whole HO/PO mechanic was overhauled - in GH3 you can hold the button for HO/PO long before it comes, which is a bit less realistic.

If you could modify the game to contain at least point 1 and 2 from this list, I would be really happy to come back to GH3. Also HO/PO chords would be nice :)

Edit:
I just read your signature, it looks really promising, keep up the good work. Let's hope you can assign them some other texture, like in the newer games! Also, is it just your setting that you can't see the fire when hitting the notes, or is it from the hack? Because if it's the latter, that will be a bit confusing for me to play.
RockBandKing  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at post other post.

Last edited by RockBandKing on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RockBandKing  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExileLord wrote:

I vaguely recall WT having even more performance issues than GH3 but that might be my imagination.

I can't play Guitar Hero 3 as it is laggy and the hit window has the lag problem for me.

But with World Tour the lag problem is gone and it is not laggy.
perrigosd  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buldy wrote:
What do you mean by that?

playing guitar with a controller
for example: https://www.youtube.com/user/MalukkoBlz/videos
ExileLord  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buldy wrote:
perrigosd wrote:

What do you mean by that? Which controller support? Every controller that worked with GH 3 works with WT for me. (Except if you mean like gamepad, which is used for vocals - but playing it on a gamepad?)

ExileLord wrote:
I really doubt Neversoft reworked anything significant in the time between GH3 and WT.

Well, quite a few things. First, slider notes - you don't have to have the world tour controller to be able to play them and I find them fun.
Next - support for overlapping notes - adds a bit more challenge and very fun to play too.
Open bass note - more possibilities and something unique for bass.
The whole HO/PO mechanic was overhauled - in GH3 you can hold the button for HO/PO long before it comes, which is a bit less realistic.

If you could modify the game to contain at least point 1 and 2 from this list, I would be really happy to come back to GH3. Also HO/PO chords would be nice :)

Edit:
I just read your signature, it looks really promising, keep up the good work. Let's hope you can assign them some other texture, like in the newer games! Also, is it just your setting that you can't see the fire when hitting the notes, or is it from the hack? Because if it's the latter, that will be a bit confusing for me to play.

I think you misunderstood me. When I said significantly reworked I was referring to the internals like the QB files, scripts, and the engine. It would be insane for the their scripting language to change significantly because then they'd starting from scratch. They didn't even start from scratch with GH3, reusing THPS, etc.

The thing with the flames note appearing is a bug. For whatever insane reason GH3 counts frames rather than seconds to decide when a sprite's animation is over. Since the game is running at >500FPS, the sprite generally doesn't get past frame 2 or 3.

This is related to the bug with whammy in GH3 PC where you have to whammy at insane speeds because the whammy "timeout" for star power is in frames, not seconds.

RockBandKing wrote:
ExileLord wrote:

I can't play Guitar Hero 3 as it is laggy and the hit window has the lag problem for me.

But with World Tour the lag problem is gone and it is not laggy.

The lag issues are because of Aspyr's awful awful implementation of VSync. If you force that off the game runs fine unless you have an exceptionally old PC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer has 8gb of ram.

And also the reason i I like doing World Tour custom because of 5 lane drumming, slider notes and overlapping notes.

And also people hate this but I don't, putting keys parts on guitar for more fun.

Also do you know if you could make world tour have HO/PO chords?

as there is the all in 1 mod and they show up as HO/PO chords but they don't work.

Buldy, do you think we could work together on my more songs mod?
Buldy  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, are you actually editing the script files for the HOPO / tapping notes, or are you doing some memory hack as you did with the note limit?

If you are editing the scripts, do you have some tool which decompiles them and can compile them back?
ExileLord  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buldy wrote:
I was wondering, are you actually editing the script files for the HOPO / tapping notes, or are you doing some memory hack as you did with the note limit?

If you are editing the scripts, do you have some tool which decompiles them and can compile them back?

I am reversing the binary to edit note logic. That doesn't live in the scripts.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwhkd8zcg3v3c74/2015-07-16_18-51-02.png?dl=0

I need to edit scripts for other things. It looks like qbscript decompilers exist though. I just need to get enough motivation to try messing around with them.

I will probably need to patch Max's tool since it whines if you alter the qb files though. It also doesn't allow additional frets beyond "HOPO flip fret" so I will need to patch that or make my own tools. Right now I'm just editing the note array in the qb file for my song directly. It's a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's the progress on chord HOPOs going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: