ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Anybody interested in trying out my game?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crynryan  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Anybody interested in trying out my game? Reply with quote

I've been working on this on and off for the past couple of years, and I'm just interested in getting some feedback on how well the game works for others. My friends and I have been playing it for a while now, so I'd like to get some fresh feedback if possible.

The game runs in Unity, so you don't need to install anything. You must also be on PC since I don't currently have a working Mac version (mostly due to controller support, no idea yet on how to get 360 controllers working on Mac). You can use a keyboard or 360 controllers, if you want PlayStation controllers you'll probably have to have Joy2Key or something.

As for songs, you can download pretty much any song for Phase Shift and it'll work. Some don't, and it's a problem with the audio library I use to load MIDIs. If the song doesn't work, the game will crash while loading.

You will need WinRAR or another file compression utility (like 7zip), but other than that you shouldn't need to install anything else as my game comes with everything Unity needs to work. Just extract, and run "Game.exe".

The overall file size is about 100MB, but that's because I included a couple songs so you could see how to add songs.

http://1drv.ms/1YdThR4

If you need any help, just post back here and I'll get back to you.

Update: Here's a video https://youtu.be/wlEopRRkH8k It's about a month old, most of the changes I've made since then are either networking related or behind the scenes stuff. So for the most part, this looks just like the version you can download.

Last edited by crynryan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
xbillax  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it and checked it out, looks like it's working pretty well. I don't have a 360 controller though so I could only test with keyboard and ps2 SG through converter and joy2key.

I liked that notes disappear exactly when you hit them, so it's easy to see how precise you're playing. This is one of the biggest things I don't like with GH3PC

Timing window didn't seem that different, I'm guessing it's around 70-100ms.

It would be nice for an option to disable "dualshock-style" for keyboard though, so I could use my guitar.

Your game actually also confirmed something, my ps2 to usb converter creates pretty hefty input lag, which I already knew but couldn't really test with GH3 (due to not really seeing when notes dissapear accurately).

I would like to keep an eye on your updates on this, because if the engine is going to be somewhat similar to GH2/80's and you avoid the dreaded strum limit it could be the greatest thing ever for me
GH5 00/85 - GHVH 00/47 - GHWoR 00/93 - GHL 00/42
crynryan  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying it out!

Not quite sure what you mean by notes disappearing right when you hit them, but then if you're comparing the PC version of GH3 (with all of the stuff turned off) I've no idea there since I've only ever played the console versions. If you could link me a video or something that shows what you're saying, or explain a bit more, I'll try and make sure I don't ever make that happen.

The current timing window is 140ms. I just came up with my own number after not being able to find what GH/RB uses, and feel that it works pretty well.

I'm still working on getting better controller support since I'm writing my own code for it, and will probably eventually get around to disabling "dualshock-style". As it is now, if it detects you're using an XInput controller (360/One controllers) it'll treat the controller like a guitar. If you use a keyboard (or Joy2Key), there's no way to turn off "dualshock-style".

Could you elaborate a bit more on the strum limit? I believe I remember GH2 having one (Trogdor FC was impossible on NTSC IIRC), and I can't remember if Green Grass FC was impossible.

I'd link a website if I had one, but as for now I'm just more or less gauging interest in something like this. I'll probly use this thread until I get one set up or something. But again, thanks for trying it!
xbillax  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shows what I mean, the notes I hit early disappears early as well (This isn't a bad thing btw, it's good. on GH3 the notes that are hit early travel to the middle before they disappear, or at least looks like they do)

I think this is good because it gives visual feedback about if you're hitting the notes early or late.

https://i.gyazo.com/2af224f9c6e5e051c53531f9d958cd22.mp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
140ms really, I guess the slow highway speed made it seem smaller. I'm not sure about the later GH games or RB games, but gh1-3 has 100ms as timing window (GH3 has 113ms backend for hopos or something, and obviously infinite front end).

It's not really that big of a difference though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not sure how many actually uses ps2 controllers and such for playing GH games on PC, I think most people use 360 controllers.

I'm not sure anyone knows the exact strum limit for any of the games. Around 18nps for pal and 16-17 for ntsc (gh2). I think someone FCd the strumming in green grass in practice, can't remember who.
I don't know what causes the strum limit in the older games, but I have no clue about programming and such anyway :P
crynryan  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to actually do more than I already do to make the notes act like GH3's notes and stay for a while, so I definitely don't plan on doing that.

If you go into the player settings (by pressing J or Yellow after assigning a player), you can change the note speed. There is a bug though where notes won't count as being missed if the speed is too fast, which I'll fix.

360 controllers are much easier to get drivers for (since Windows includes those drivers), and unless things have changed you have to get unsigned drivers for proper Dualshock support. I believe wireless PS3 instruments use Bluetooth, so those could be easy to use as well.

Unless there's something I'm completely missing, I'd think the only strum limit my game would have is dependent on the frame rate. I'm polling controller input every frame, and I'd think that you could potentially strum as fast as the frame rate and still be able to hit everything. Of course, no one's ever going to surpass 20 or so. I believe the build I uploaded is locked to 60, although I'd definitely make it easy to remove the limit in the future. Not really sure why the GH/RB would have a strum limit, unless it was due to only polling controller input less frequently than they should in order to keep a more stable frame rate.

EDIT: Here's a new build of the game: http://1drv.ms/1KK96Jr

I added an option you can change in the player settings menu (it's at the bottom), which allows you to enable strum buttons on your keyboard so you can use your SG. When you download this, extract it and replace the original files with the new files. The strum buttons are Backspace and Enter (Return). Let me know if you need any help getting that working.

EDIT2: Found a bug that doesn't let you play a 2nd song. The game gets stuck when loading in the 2nd song, so you'll have to quit the game and restart it to play another song. Already found the bug and fixed it, but it's not in the new build.
xbillax  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice I tested it with the SG and it works pretty well.

I could test better if I had a solution without input lag, but not much to be done about that.

I guess some kind of audio offset setting could help in regards to that.
crynryan  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would take a while, as I'd need to come up with a screen to test your delay and then incorporate that value into the game. Since I've only been playing this on PC with a monitor and a small headset setup, I haven't had any real reason to work on offsets and stuff just yet.

Something that could help (don't really know if it will), is that if you go into a song's folder and find the "song.ini" file (or you can create one if there isn't already one) you can write in an offset there which will delay the notes.

Write "offset = number" as the only line, save it, and make sure it's still named "song.ini". "Number" is can be any number in seconds, so stuff like "1.5" or "-.75". Everything is done with milliseconds, so "1.5" will be one and a half seconds and "-.75" would be negative 750 milliseconds. You'd have to do that for every song, but it's something that you could do right now if you wanted.
xbillax  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice, I guess that's good enough for now then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: