Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bj0rn's accs: GHLX FGFC, Keep On Swinging 1st
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bj0rn  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Bj0rn's accs: GHLX FGFC, Keep On Swinging 1st Reply with quote

I went ahead and tried squeezing something in GHL. Keep On Swinging was my song of choice. And I got this first place 240,860 score on video (surprisingly bad quality, will use my Galaxy S6 next time)! Sorry Lo11o2 for stealing your most recent 1st, but you knew how to get more anyway.
------ (07 Jan 2016)
On the 23rd of December, I FC'ed Love Bites (So Do I), which started my quest of seriously going for the FGFC. And less than two weeks later I finished it!

I focused on getting the difficult songs out of the way first. It was kind of funny, because I expected the non top 5 hardest songs to be no problem once I got to that point, but that was far from the truth. I did FC the last 30 songs in two days, with 22 of them in the last day. But the point is that I still get tripped up by the tiniest things with switches between the lanes, and unexpected chords. I think that I would have felt differently (though incorrectly so) if I had gone in the other direction, but I ended up getting the FGCG with a feeling of not really having quite learned how to play on this new button layout.

That probably says something about the difficulty of FGFC'ing this game (i.e. not that hard). But I also think that there's something to say about measuring difficulty. The hardest songs, I actually don't feel much worry about FC'ing again. At the same time, last I checked at least, I have a pretty hard time with songs like Reptilia on GHTV. There's nothing fast at all in that song, but the switches between the "strings" confuses me too much to be able to keep up. On the other hand, I seem to be able to reFC Keep On Swinging to my heart's content, even though that also has string hops that are really even trickier. I think it's because it isn't the hitting the buttons part that is hard (although some chord switches really are very difficult), but it's recognizing what's on the screen and translating into button presses. When I get to KoS's solo I just see something and go "oh, I know how to hit that thing" and then I just do it. But in reality I truly cannot FC something like Reptilia's chorus without practice.

I'm sure I can keep improving on recognizing what I see (hyperspeed, practice mode and, in particular, distinguishable HOPO's, please). I don't know how much time I will spend on GHL in the near future, but I guess squeezing would be the obvious next frontier. I didn't use paths at all. I'm 8th cross platform right now. I haven't even watched GHL videos, because I wanted to make sure I got the FGFC without using the video-as-practice-mode-replacement technique.

What are the chances of 13 million being possible in this game, btw? Seems quite reasonable doesn't it?
------ (13 Jan 2014)
I just advanced to the Semifinals in the season 17 GHWT league. I think this is a good time to post about my best accomplishments in the league so far (because this may be as far as I will get). Before the league even started, I got a new 1st place score and possibly optimal on About A Girl (Unplugged). During the league, I got an new 1st on Band On The Run and probably optimal on American Woman and I got them on video. The last week before playoffs, I got optimal on Vicarious, but that happened so fast that I had not even set up my camera. I literally got optimal on my second run. The first run wasn't even a proper run, as I was following along to Fug's video, pausing after each activation. So you can say that I got optimal on my first actual attempt. That must be some kind of record. Well actually, I got optimal on All Day and All of the Night in GHA on my very first run. Last night I won the quarterfinal against xXGHXx and after roughly 10 FCs, I got my best score on Love Removal Machine. And yes, that is a video link. It's 4th place and I need to work on my tick-holding, but at least it's the best score on video.

In this round, the song is Scream Aim Fire, and I'm facing elScarecrow. So I'm in some serious trouble :P
------
So this is really not a big deal in terms of an accomplishment, but I've just put closure to one of GH3X's biggest mysteries: the ticks in Reptilia! Finally I got them and tied dnelson05's score for 1st place. He wasn't cheating, he just played with lag calibrated to 40 ms as he plainly states in both his video proof and some old discussion here at SH.

I must have seen that all those years ago, but clearly didn't believe that it could matter. But tannernieland11's lag glitch proved otherwise. We discussed this in the league thread this season. Anyway, Neversoft and Harmonix both messed up lag calibration, and this affects tiny things things like ticks in Reptilia as well.

I did this run on my the HD TV in my room which has a lot of lag. Video and audio are both set at 86 ms. It's a bit difficult to squeeze on it, but getting the ticks seemed very easy. This was the first time that I didn't miss either the front end or the back end, so I imagine that it would be easy to do again. And you can probably get more ticks too. I didn't have my video camera, so I didn't film this run. But I may do it again on video, hopefully with an extra tick or two.

I'm not a fan of this lag squeezing business. But if SH won't forbid it and I start shooting for as many 1sts as I can, I'm forced to use it sometimes. Not much you can do about it, I guess. I will write my lag settings in the comment field of every score where it applies. It actually makes sense to add it as its own field for score submissions. Separate zero-lag leaderboards would definitely be nice...
S10: GH3X AAA-1, GHAX
S11: GH3X AAA, GH5X AAA
S16: GH3X
My youtube channel

Last edited by Bj0rn on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:36 am; edited 116 times in total
Bedlam  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you are a beast at squeezing. Tier 1 is usually the most competitive tier so congrats on that. Any chance you're going to go after 574 on Closer? (some idiot posted 572 )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedlam wrote:
Wow you are a beast at squeezing. Tier 1 is usually the most competitive tier so congrats on that. Any chance you're going to go after 574 on Closer? (some idiot posted 572 )

I did try a bit on monday right after I got 1st on Mississippi Queen. I got 570 twice and 566 almost every other attempt. I kinda was on a roll that day and I think out of 20 FC's, I just got 562 once. Still, if I get 570 just every 10 FC's, getting 574 seems really difficult anyway. But I'm going to keep trying.

And lol @ 572. If you're faking a score, you gotta do it with some style
My youtube channel
Mick  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on 1st! I cant even FC RaRaN yet so I have no hope of getting first on that tier...btw your Mississippi Queen score is beastly O_O I have no idea how you and lo7 can get so much...I play it heaps and my best is 50 odd points behind
Bj0rn  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick wrote:
Congrats on 1st! I cant even FC RaRaN yet so I have no hope of getting first on that tier...btw your Mississippi Queen score is beastly O_O I have no idea how you and lo7 can get so much...I play it heaps and my best is 50 odd points behind

Really? Oddly it was the opposite way for me. I was starting to give up on the RARAN FC, so instead I looked up the path for MQ. Then I just practiced the squeezes for a while. On my first FC with the path I got something close to your score, but I knew there were more points to get(and I was aiming for 1st anyway). Then on my second FC I got 857 (lo7 - 4), but I still felt like I missed quite a few points. Then on the next run I got 881 and was kind of surprised how easy that 1st was (hence the comment). It only took 20-25 minutes. But like I said, "I kinda was on a roll that day"
My youtube channel
Lo7  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. :P
I have two questions, you're a great squeezer.

Have you figured out how the ticks under SP work in GH3 already?

How did you get that high on HMWYBS?

04/20/08 ~ 1st to get 200 FCs across all games! | I HAS VIDZ ON YOUTUBE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Loseven
MrOmyA  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Bj0rn, you're an absolutely amazing squeezer. How were you able to play through Story Of My Life and get a score like that? I'd tear my hair out after playing a couple times on that song.
Bj0rn  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Lo7 wrote:
Nice job. :P
I have two questions, you're a great squeezer.

Have you figured out how the ticks under SP work in GH3 already?

How did you get that high on HMWYBS?

For the first question, my theory is that sustains don't start ticking until you've passed the middle of the sustain note. So if star power doesn't last all the way past the middle of the sustain note, you won't get any extra ticks no matter how early you hit it. But when you do pass the point where it starts ticking you get a "burst" of ticks based on how early you hit the sustain, which would explain "early ticking". Same goes for the end of a sustain, no matter how late you hit the sustain note the ticking will stop exectly when it's supposed to. Right at the end of the sustain you will be given another burst of ticks. That burst contains more ticks the later you hit the sustain note. Between the bursts you get ticks linearly, just like in previous GH games. This is my conclusion after squeezing the extra ticks on Talk Dirty to me and HMWYBS.

As for the second question, I basically was trying to beat your score, hehe. Debr's path suggested possible ticks in the second activation. Most of my attempts at a high score I just ignored that, but I was curious about it so I made some attempts at it now and then. On one run I activated late on the sustain and got a few ticks from it, then when SP ended I was like "WTF, did I just see a blue flame coming from that note?". It seemed I actually got extra ticks AND hit the last note under SP. It sounds like I'm telling some kind of story here, heh. Anyway the point is that debr's path wasn't lieing. Ticks are possible on the second activation. The reason I got 40 extra points could be explained by my burst theory. Basically I just hit the sustain note very late.

Lol, now I've given you enough information to take back the tier 1 1st . Don't you dare
MrOmyA wrote:
Wow, Bj0rn, you're an absolutely amazing squeezer. How were you able to play through Story Of My Life and get a score like that? I'd tear my hair out after playing a couple times on that song.

Haha, I dunno, it wasn't very hard at all for me. Basically when I learn a path, I take the activations one at a time. So I begin by looking where the first activation is. I then play the song once to try the activation. Doing that is a way to get the activation memorized as well as a way to figure out how hard the squeeze is. After trying the first activation once or twice, I look at the path to see where the second activation goes. Then I play the song trying to get the first two activations right. Then I continue like that all the way to the last activation. Sure there are 11 activations, but I managed to keep them all memorized. Then I had a run where I hit all the regular squeezes skipping the double squeezes on the first two activations. It surprized me to see that I got 1st. Usually I first have to learn the path and then I have to really push the squeezes if I wanna get a good rank. In this case I only had to learn the path and the 1st was mine.
My youtube channel

Last edited by Bj0rn on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bj0rn  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small School's Out bump.
My youtube channel
buMf00d  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo you crazy longhaired swede! XD why didn't you show us these squeezing skills when we played? :p
Bedlam  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bj0rn wrote:

For the first question, my theory is that sustains don't start ticking until you've passed the middle of the sustain note. So if star power doesn't last all the way past the middle of the sustain note, you won't get any extra ticks no matter how early you hit it. But when you do pass the point where it starts ticking you get a "burst" of ticks based on how early you hit the sustain, which would explain "early ticking".

This all actually makes pretty good sense. I've found it to be pretty true, Most all squeezes that end on holds, but require 60%-100% level squeezes to reach, I don't get any ticks on them, probably due to the fact that my SP does't last til the middle of the note. However, I've gotten ticks on the last squeeze on MNiJ (Medium), which requires an 80% squeeze to even reach the last sustain. Here's the path http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/gh3-ps2/medium/mynameisjonas.hundred-zero.best.png This is my only problem with that theory. Unless it doesn't really require that big of a squeeze to reach that note, and debr's chart is off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are some freaking nice scores, Bjorn.

I'm thinking about coming back and trying to redux everything on GH3X, but it probably won't happen for a bit (Until I get my 360).

You've made it tough on some of those songs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dude that is awesome. Firsts are hard to get and I doubt if I will ever be able to because I am such a horrible squeezer lol.

Bj0rn  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added some stuff in the OP. Now Bulls on Parade is the only song left to 1st in tier 2.
buMf00d wrote:
gogo you crazy longhaired swede! XD why didn't you show us these squeezing skills when we played? :p

Hehe, I'm not really longhaired anymore, perhaps crazy but not longhaired :P. And I let you guys pick all the songs, and you only picked hard songs, so I didn't really get a good chance to show off my squeezing skillz.
Bedlam wrote:
Bj0rn wrote:

For the first question, my theory is that sustains don't start ticking until you've passed the middle of the sustain note. So if star power doesn't last all the way past the middle of the sustain note, you won't get any extra ticks no matter how early you hit it. But when you do pass the point where it starts ticking you get a "burst" of ticks based on how early you hit the sustain, which would explain "early ticking".

This all actually makes pretty good sense. I've found it to be pretty true, Most all squeezes that end on holds, but require 60%-100% level squeezes to reach, I don't get any ticks on them, probably due to the fact that my SP does't last til the middle of the note. However, I've gotten ticks on the last squeeze on MNiJ (Medium), which requires an 80% squeeze to even reach the last sustain. Here's the path http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/gh3-ps2/medium/mynameisjonas.hundred-zero.best.png This is my only problem with that theory. Unless it doesn't really require that big of a squeeze to reach that note, and debr's chart is off.

That doesn't look like a hard squeeze judging by the size of the pink squeeze margins on that chart. But maybe the timing window is different on medium. I could try that that squeeze later.
MPChedda wrote:
Wow, those are some freaking nice scores, Bjorn.

I'm thinking about coming back and trying to redux everything on GH3X, but it probably won't happen for a bit (Until I get my 360).

You've made it tough on some of those songs

Thanks! And good luck with that
khaozmayhem wrote:
Damn dude that is awesome. Firsts are hard to get and I doubt if I will ever be able to because I am such a horrible squeezer lol.

Yeah, squeezing defintiely helps if you want to get firsts, hehe. If you want to get better at squeezing, joining the leagues is a good way to improve, it helped me a lot.
My youtube channel
khaozmayhem  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job man. Keep up the amazing squeezes.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: