ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How do the Guitar Hero games rank for you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: How do the Guitar Hero games rank for you? Reply with quote

This can be done in two ways, with the main releases (GH1,2,3,WT,5,WoR,GHL) or every release, not counting DJ Hero. The full list might be hard since I know it's been years since I played anything before Warriors of Rock.

From Best to Worst Main Releases
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
Guitar Hero 3
Guitar Hero WT
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero 1
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero Live

Decided to be slightly more objective I feel with GH1 as I think I remember liking WT a good bit for the most part and GH1 never aged well, but I still place it above GH5 because it's the franchise start and still has its charm.

From Best to Worst All Releases
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Guitar Hero 3
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
Guitar Hero: Rock The 80's
Guitar Hero 1
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero Live
Band Hero
Guitar Hero: On Tour

I guess On Tour could count, along with On Tour Decades. I didn't play it a lot, but I thought it was pretty awful to play which is probably why I'd only place it below Band Hero. Band Hero may suck, but it's just a pop spinoff of GH5, and it played fine lol
Midnight-Rider  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(not ranking GH80s, BH or GHL since I haven't played them)

GH2
GHWoR
GH5
GHM
GH3
GH1
GHWT
---"I Like this game" line---
GHSH
GHA
GHVH

GH2 has always just had the most simplistic charm to it in my eyes. Ironically though WoR's the one I've played the most. Plenty of great songs and fun charts, best vocal engine, biggest possible song library via imports and DLC (prior to April of 2014, but at least there's license transfers...?), unlocking Focus Mode doesn't require me to be stupidly good at drums (you may know what I'm talking about) or have to look up cheats, and I've had decent enough experience with the engine even though I'm aware of its issues that you'll notice particularly when grinding to FC most of the hardest songs in the game. GH5 and GHM also have a bunch of great songs and charts. GH3 has some nostalgia for me but I don't play it that much, and I'm sick of a lot of its songs. GH1 has plenty of that charming oldschool HMX feel like 2, and is a rather unique experience with a fine enough albeit smaller tracklist. WT is fun enough with a good setlist and charts, but a plethora of technical issues like the introduction of sliders, and a shoddy vocal engine with lots of shoddy vocal charts to match (both on-disc and in DLC). GHA is just...there. GHSH and VH basically represent everything I find wrong with the series. They're pretty much the only two games I flat out wish weren't made. [petty mode ON]Not to mention they contain very unfair roadblocks in the way of getting an FSFC on guitar (ItO) or drums (Space Truckin').[petty mode OFF]
And that is my more expanded thoughts on the Guitar Hero games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best to worst

GHWoR
GHL
GHWT
GH2
GHA
GH80s
GH3
GHVH
GHM
GHSH
GH1
BH
GH5

Guitar Hero + Rock Band Expert Drums Dual FSFC - September 21st, 2017
10,000 unique expert GH/RB FCs - May 18th, 2022
Videos: http://www.YouTube.com/dayzeed
FC spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/FCs
Proud lefty who conformed to right-handed mode... show some respect! ;)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: slashno PSN Name: slashno
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have all the 360 games, so I might actually go and pop them in again and see how I remember them. I mostly remember World Tour and GH5 having soundtrack issues I believe, kinda getting less interesting as they went on, which was one reason I had issues with them.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really have time to post a full list at the moment, but I was just curious why there's so much dislike for GH5 generally?
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

inv4der wrote:
This is basically all from an actual how much I like playing the game standpoint:

GH2 >>>> GH3 > literally everything else.

The series got progressively less fun after GH2 as it began to focus on gimmicks and not actually guitar-centric songs. The engine also feels very unrefined, probably because it was basically remade every single game instead of actually being improved. This leads to a lot of issues the games had, especially regarding sliders.

Regarding non guitar instruments I only enjoy Demon(s) on drums. Everything else is awful and unfun.

Nubnut wrote:
Don't really have time to post a full list at the moment, but I was just curious why there's so much dislike for GH5 generally?

It's got an overall lackluster setlist and the few interesting songs were weighed down by a still imperfect engine. That's my opinion, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:

I'm assuming it's because its setlist doesn't really appeal to a lot of people here, and the guitar charts are not too collectively exciting. That and drums (particularly on Expert+) are very thoroughly borked (even though not many people play drums on GH). Those are among the more reasonable arguments against the game I've seen, anyway.

EDIT: Ninja'd by inv4der who hit the nail on the head even though I disagree with him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinions haven't really changed much

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:

I didn't have as much issue with the engine (I only played expert guitar and it seemed fine), but I remember that this was where the song list was starting to bother me and it might've been franchise fatigue compiled on top of that. I can't remember if it did a whole lot new compared to World Tour. I think it just went in a direction the series should never have. Thankfully it was remedied for one last hurrah with Warriors of Rock.

Song list means a lot to me. If GHL was still the 40 songs it had, but then had like 30 or 40 more good ones to make up for it, I'd probably be less harsh on it.
RobGHH  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like every GH game except GHTV. GHL is super fun but from an FCers standpoint GHTV is my worst nightmare
I wrote:
I quit GHTV again. This game is the worst made game of all time, worse than Big Rigs, worse than Superman 64, worse than Bubsy 3D, worse than any fucking appaling, abysmal game you could ever imagine. I'd rather not have to spend 800 fucking plays on a piss easy song just because the game didn't feel like letting the notes hit, absolutely pure RNG, the entire game is luck, it's a complete waste of my time and there's no way of fixing it at all, whatsoever. Can't believe I even managed to get this far, what an absolute disgrace. And you know, I really wanted to, and still want to try and FTVFC, but while the game is in this unplayable mess I really am not interested at all; it's just stress stress stress on every single song, regardless of how difficult it is. In fact, the only songs that behave themselves are the hardest ones. This game is only fun when it works, and that seems to be never at the moment. Fuck off.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RobGHH PSN Name: robbie8n
RockBandKing  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobGHH wrote:
I like every GH game except GHTV. GHL is super fun but from an FCers standpoint GHTV is my worst nightmare
I wrote:
I quit GHTV again. This game is the worst made game of all time, worse than Big Rigs, worse than Superman 64, worse than Bubsy 3D, worse than any fucking appaling, abysmal game you could ever imagine. I'd rather not have to spend 800 fucking plays on a piss easy song just because the game didn't feel like letting the notes hit, absolutely pure RNG, the entire game is luck, it's a complete waste of my time and there's no way of fixing it at all, whatsoever. Can't believe I even managed to get this far, what an absolute disgrace. And you know, I really wanted to, and still want to try and FTVFC, but while the game is in this unplayable mess I really am not interested at all; it's just stress stress stress on every single song, regardless of how difficult it is. In fact, the only songs that behave themselves are the hardest ones. This game is only fun when it works, and that seems to be never at the moment. Fuck off.

So you like to buy a song and play it 40 times then never play it again?

With GHTV your not wasting any money.
UltraHeroABC5  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with invader tbh. There was some good bands (a perfect circle, megadeth, etc), some songs/bands that could've been better (I'm not a fan of the live version of lust for life), and some bands/songs i hate (darker my love, listened to some of their other stuff and i dont like it, arctic monkeys, not a big fan of them, etc)

But yeah, the engine wasn't the best either. I actually have a better time on the WT vox engine then the gh5 vox engine lol. I havn't played much drums but what i've heard, the x+ charts are broke. From the charts I have played on drums (comedown, etc), they seem pretty accurate, and I play some of these songs on real drums too, and most of the sheet music i learn is pretty accurate to the chart.

Overall, it's one of my least favorites, but obviously theres worse. I wasn't a fan of GHL or its new controller when i played it, but the worst guitar hero game is probably band hero (i count that as a guitar hero game)

EDIT: i know i said its terrible in another thread, i misworded myself. It's not terrible, its just not as good as say wt era games.
/notarant
RobGHH  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like games to not drop notes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RobGHH PSN Name: robbie8n
UltraHeroABC5  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobGHH wrote:
I like games to not drop notes

refc batm with a 3rd party guitar with a bad sticky strumbar
llamaman2  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From best to worst:

GHWoR - Best engine on all instruments, great challenging setlist that was total fanservice

GH3 - Pure nostalgia (my first game). It's a solid setlist but I've just played this one so much its crazy

GH2 - I came to this one later, but the setlist grabbed me after I got pulled in. Tighter engine than I prefer, but it really improved my abilities.

GHWT - Introduction of drums/vocals really extended my enjoyment of the series. Engine has some serious flaws though

GHSH - I liked the concept and the engine worked well. No real improvements to the series though

GHM - Followed up GHWT very well, improving some of the biggest engine flaws. It's a tough game, which hurt my enjoyment a bit but has pushed me to improve.

GHL - Still up in the air on this one. I actually really like the 6 button layout and GHTV is really cool. However, the score tracking aspect isn't ideal with all the powerups and the inability to own songs is a bit of a bummer.

GHVH - Awful presentation. But offset by really fun songs, even if half of them had nothing to do with Van Halen.

GHA - Huge aerosmith fan, but the lack of full band hurt its impact. Also was a step down challenge wise from GH3. Music choices and personality of the game were great though.

GH1 - Coming in to this one late was problematic, as the engine deficiencies were obvious and grating. Not a bad game but it definitely shows its age.

GH5 - Wasn't distinct enough. Vocal engine was awful and the expert+ glitch ruined drums for me. Some great songs but somewhat forgettable setlist.

Unranked: GH80s + Band Hero (never played)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: