ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Ranking the Bonus Songs in GH1, 2 and 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Ranking the Bonus Songs in GH1, 2 and 3 Reply with quote

I thought this would be a cool little thing to do. After playing a ton of GH1, 2 and 3 recently I started listening to the Bonus Songs on my own because I forgot how much I really liked some of the songs. So I had an idea that maybe I could rank every Bonus Song in the first three games. Well, I've compiled my list and...it wasn't easy. There's a lot of good stuff here. I'm going to do 3 songs per day. Let me just say that this is MY OWN PERSONAL TASTE, so if you love a song that I put really low then I'm sorry, but this is my list. I listen to all types of rock music, but I generally prefer classic rock and heavy metal (thrash metal specifically). The hardest thing I found while making this list is trying not to rank them based on how fun they are to play in GH, but how I actually like the song if I were to listen to it. Some songs I hate playing, but I love listening to.

66. Red Lottery (GH2)- Yeah...this song is just bad. It might have moved up a few spots if it wasn't so damn long. It's not that this song is bad, but it's actually painful to listen to.

65. Mauvais Garcon (GH3)- I still don't know what the hell this song is. I...think it's punk, or trying to be, but...as far as my ears are concerned, it's pretty damn bad. At least it isn't over six minutes.

64. Farewell Myth (GH1)- There is something strangely addicting about how bad this song is. Out of all the songs on here, this one is BY FAR the worst written. In all honestly, it doesn't sound TERRIBLE, but...it's pretty much the absolute bare minimum as to what constitutes as a song. I feel like you can write a better song by banging your head on a table. The main riff is SLIGHTLY catchy, I'll give it that.

If you guys want to post your own lists, go right ahead. I'd be curious to see what other people think.
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Farewell Myth

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GingerBraFace PSN Name: GingerBraFace Wii Friend Code: 390546319559
UltraHeroABC5  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems pretty cool. I wanna do this for a couple right now:

In Love - Scouts Of St Sebastian (GH3) - I hate this rerecording. It's mostly the guitar that overpowers the vocals though

Thunderhorse - Dethklok (GH2) - Let me just say I'm a HUGE fan of Dethklok, and i've even seen them live. IMO this is one of my least favorites by them but it's still a great song in general

All Of This - Shaimus (GH1) - One of my favorite songs to play in GH1 with a very fun solo and very nice vocal melody.
mninp  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63. Yes We Can (GH2)- Actually this might be worse than Farewell Myth, however it gets a little bit of points for actually being pretty funny. It's still terrible, but it entertains me so it has that going for it.

62. FTK (GH2)- This song just irritates me. It's not the worst song in the world, but the singer's voice just really annoys me. Also, the instruments don't really do anything interesting in my opinion.

61. In the Belly of a Shark (GH3)- The first half of this song is an absolute mess and it sounds like crap in my opinion. When things calm down a little bit it gets better, and there's a couple riffs near the end that's pretty cool, but it's a case of "too little too late" for me.
Peachfanclub  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mninp wrote:
63. Yes We Can (GH2)- Actually this might be worse than Farewell Myth, however it gets a little bit of points for actually being pretty funny. It's still terrible, but it entertains me so it has that going for it.

I had some fun listening to it myself. The choruses and that whistle spaz are my favorite parts of the song, actually. Hard to explain.
8/7/18 - Fury of the Storm FC

On Jan 24, 2016, AdamHero wrote:
peach you are good at guitar hero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Peachfanclub PSN Name: Peachfanclub Wii Friend Code: 0475108893170582
mninp  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peachfanclub wrote:
mninp wrote:

I had some fun listening to it myself. The choruses and that whistle spaz are my favorite parts of the song, actually. Hard to explain.

Yeah I love the whistle. When that happens I never expect it because I'm so focused on the song. Then when I hear the whistle backed by the perfectly timed drum pedals, it's so odd, like it's so out of context I'm like WTF. Where in the recording sessions did they think "you know what we need? We need someone to blow a whistle, that'll make the song even better". I don't get it. The chorus is funny too, because the notes are so off beat and erratic and nothing makes sense, like...how did they decide how to do that? It's all so random and it doesn't fit at all. Ironically, the verses are actually the most competent part of the song, and they're not terrible...just bland with terrible lyrics lol.

As far as enjoyment goes, I might actually like this song better than FTK because FTK is just so boring and kind of annoying. But...FTK is actually a decently written song. I actually like the bass intro. But again, I just find it boring overall. But I can't put it below Yes We Can, I just can't.
GingerBraFace  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. I suppose I can overlook your mean words about farewell myth and actually contribute.

3) Elephant Bones (GH2)

2) Even Rats (GH)

1) Story of my Love (GH)

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: GingerBraFace PSN Name: GingerBraFace Wii Friend Code: 390546319559
mninp  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

59. Down 'N Dirty (GH3)- The singer kind of annoys me here. Keep in mind, I don't generally find female singers to be annoying, but when they sing like they do in this song and FTK...I'm not a big fan of that. Otherwise...the song is ok. There's some cool solos in there and the riff is ok, but again, I really can't get past the vocals. The way she says "Dowwwwn 'n Dirteahh"...ugh. The verses aren't pretty either.

58. I'm in the Band (GH3)- Can you say "whiny"? Every time I play this song I have the biggest urge to just scream "HEY I'M IN THE BAND!!! in a high pitched exaggerated voice. For that, I at least find the song funny, but otherwise...it's pretty generic and boring. Definitely not my thing.

57. The Breaking Wheel (GH1)- On paper, this song sounds pretty awesome to me. It's speed/thrash metal, it's got chugging riffs and really cool instrumentation going on. But...when I listen to it, I just don't really care for it. The riffs aren't very interesting and the same thing repeats the whole time. The most interesting part of the song is the slow part ironically. Also, NO SOLO? If this song had a solo, it would probably be quite a bit higher up actually. Meh.
mninp  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56. One For the Road (GH2)- And...the other song by this band (I don't know whether to call them "Artillery" or "Breaking Wheel" in this context) isn't much better haha. To be fair, the instrumentation is much better here. What really ruins the song in my opinion is the vocals. I never cared for that Lamb of God style of heavy metal vocals...like a mix between Groove and Death Metal. Without the vocals I think this song would be pretty awesome, but the vocals honestly ruins it for me. My favorite parts of the song are the little mini solos before the verses, those are awesome. If this song was an instrumental and The Breaking Wheel had vocals, one of these songs could have been great even though TBW would be worse lol.

55. Soy Bomb (GH2)- I have never had such a nonexistent opinion of a song in my entirely life. I don't like it, but I don't dislike it. I have no opinion on it whatsoever. It's just...there. It's not interesting enough for me to really like anything in the song, but there's literally nothing bad about it at all. In a way that makes it more bad than good, because I think not having good parts to a song hurts it more than having a couple bad parts.

54. Callout (GH1)- Can you say "most generic rock song ever"? The song itself has a ton of nostalgia to me because of GH1, especially the intro, but when you actually listen to it, there's literally nothing here that's really that good or interesting. The vocals sound like a second rate punk band, and...I'm not really sure what they were going for. It's definitely not terrible, but...it's so...mediocre. The best thing that I can say about it is that it's not bad.
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Impulse
4. Gemini
3. Elephant Bones
2. All of This
1. Even Rats

Yaay, insomnia//nostalgia. GH3's bonus tracks really suffered for not having the Harmonix bands IMHO

Also Farewell Myth owns, and Red Lottery is good. Yes We Can is a song. I really hate Closer and Drink Up.

Going through these was interesting, as there are songs I love now that I remember hating initally (The New Black, Sail Your Ship By) as well as those I've gone the other way on (TTFAF, The Light That Blinds).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokyprogg wrote:
5. Impulse
4. Gemini
3. Elephant Bones
2. All of This
1. Even Rats

Woo! More love for elephant bones I approve of these choices.

UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire It Up
All Of This
Even Rats
Sail Your Ship By
Elephant Bones
Fall Of Pangea
Gemini
Jordan
Radium Eyes
Six
The Light That Blinds
Thunderhorse
F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.
Impulse
My Curse
Take This Life
The Way It Ends

Those are the songs which are absolutely amazing in my opinion and which I've never gotten tired after so many years. And all of smoky's top 5 is up there

I would love to include Rock Band as well, from which I recall Outside, Can't Let Go, I'm So Sick and I Get By to be among my favorite.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
suhdude024  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly on the Wall and All of This from GH1. Actually, almost every GH1 bonus song not named Farewell Myth is okay with me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I did this. I'll definitely get back to this tomorrow, I don't know why I stopped.
markvandam  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have/remember your list? Maybe post a few more than 3 a day though lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: