ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Philosophical charting problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpartaX18  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Philosophical charting problems Reply with quote

On some occasions I become over-conscious when I chart new customs. For example, what's bugging me now is: in what instances should notes be charted as ho-po's?

It's next to never that charters insert ho-po's only based on the real guitar tabs (so if a real guitar note is not a ho-po, then it shouldn't be charted as such).

What is it then that should make the creator apply the ho-po mechanic? Should it be the way the notes sound? Sure, I can get behind that, but... Take a listen to this for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE3ncDoThkU
Should all the intro notes be ho-po's? Yes, some of them sound as gentle as actual hammer-on's/pull-off's. But only some of them. Does that mean that in this particular situation the charter should make only a portion of the notes ho-po's? Gameplay-wise (and even visually), it seems to be the worst option. But it kinda makes sense. The most sense, to me.

What's your view on this? And I'm sorry if this is basic music knowledge, I've never had any contact with a musical instrument, so I'm green as grass.
ihatebarracuda  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charting a song already involves a lot of inaccuracies that no one notices or complains about. Examples: bends have to be ignored or charted as a separate note, pitch movement sometimes has to be charted in the wrong direction when you only have 5 notes available, sometimes it's better to just chart the obvious melody/vocal line/completely-different-instrument even if that isn't what the guitar is actually playing, etc. etc. For those reasons, I wouldn't worry too much about how it is played on the real instrument. A lot of fast guitar solos are done with alternate picking, but are mercifully charted as HO/POs.

The real questions are "is this fun to play" and "do I feel like I am really playing the song?" Those are the contexts you should consider HO vs strum placement in if you ask me. In the intro example you gave I would place strums on the beats to establish the 4/4 time, with a longer uninterrupted chain of HO/POs at the end of the 2nd measure to show the end of the musical phrase. Something like

with the reds being strums and everything else HO/PO. Even if this isn't what the guitar is actually doing (although I suspect it is in this case), it just feels right.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
SpartaX18  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatebarracuda wrote:
Charting a song already involves a lot of inaccuracies that no one notices or complains about. Examples: bends have to be ignored or charted as a separate note, pitch movement sometimes has to be charted in the wrong direction when you only have 5 notes available, sometimes it's better to just chart the obvious melody/vocal line/completely-different-instrument even if that isn't what the guitar is actually playing, etc. etc. For those reasons, I wouldn't worry too much about how it is played on the real instrument. A lot of fast guitar solos are done with alternate picking, but are mercifully charted as HO/POs.

True. Can't disagree at all.

ihatebarracuda wrote:
The real questions are "is this fun to play" and "do I feel like I am really playing the song?" Those are the contexts you should consider HO vs strum placement in if you ask me.

I suspected that to be the case, just wanted to make sure. That's what I mainly aimed for, but as I said, when you are the one in control of the chart, questions start popping up and all that doubt emerges.

ihatebarracuda wrote:
In the intro example you gave I would place strums on the beats to establish the 4/4 time, with a longer uninterrupted chain of HO/POs at the end of the 2nd measure to show the end of the musical phrase. Something like

with the reds being strums and everything else HO/PO. Even if this isn't what the guitar is actually doing (although I suspect it is in this case), it just feels right.

Seems fair, especially regarding the ho/po application. However, the note placement looks odd to me. What'd you think about this...:

[sustain][sustain][sustain][sustain][sustain][sustain]

...?
The real issue here is that if the board had 6 frets, everything could've been fit just right. But it has 5 of them, so to me, the most logical option is to modify the first 5 notes, as if they are played on a lower octave (to be honest, my ears kinda back this up -- it sounds like there's a huge gap between the - in my chart version - first notes and the first note).
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're overthinking it a bit. I've played plenty of charts that, in regards to the real instrument, aren't "good" but after extremely fun to play. In your example, using either red or blue would work imo. It's something that no one really would notice, and would still make sense rhythmically given that the red/blue are higher pitched than the green is. The question you asked is a good one for sure, and it's best to maintain some accuracy, but don't stress it too much. Best thing to do would be to chart a song once through, have the chart "play" as you listen to the song, and make changes accordingly. Lastly, just make sure you're having fun with it
SpartaX18  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradmasta wrote:
In your example, using either red or blue would work imo. It's something that no one really would notice, and would still make sense rhythmically given that the red/blue are higher pitched than the green is.

Not quite sure which part you're talking about. Are you supporting my choice of the lower octave concept, or is it something else?

Bradmasta wrote:
The question you asked is a good one for sure, and it's best to maintain some accuracy, but don't stress it too much. Best thing to do would be to chart a song once through, have the chart "play" as you listen to the song, and make changes accordingly. Lastly, just make sure you're having fun with it

I chart in a bit different way. I go through the song section-by-section; when I'm finished charting the intro, I move onto the first verse, etc. But I do usually first create the bare bones of the section and then replay it over and over to catch errors and finetune it.
And I am in fact having fun both while making and playing the chart. Seriously! In this specific example I've given, I'm totally cool with what I've created, gameplay-wise. But then again, I'm a damn perfectionist and I'm probably the one going against the flow. I usually value accuracy above the general fun, but as I'm saying - that's what I get from being the one in control. I feel like everything should be as close to perfection as it can, even if most people don't care.
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could replace the first with and I don't think anyone would mind. Also, while it's good to chart as near perfect as possible, be careful with that. There are charters that go strictly by tabs and have some of the most universally hated charts on there. Accuracy is great, but not if it sacrifices fun.
SpartaX18  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradmasta wrote:

You could replace the first with and I don't think anyone would mind.

I totally get what you're on about, but my mind just can't comprehend this. I feel like there has to be some distinction. After all, the sounds way lower than the . I'd be OK with changing it to or anything else, BUT .
Bradmasta wrote:
Also, while it's good to chart as near perfect as possible, be careful with that. There are charters that go strictly by tabs and have some of the most universally hated charts on there. Accuracy is great, but not if it sacrifices fun.

Absolutely. I just try to force the two together. And not make it 50/50, but 100/100...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: