ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Band Hero whammy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkiePie91  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Band Hero whammy. Reply with quote

How the hell does it work. I'll give the example of Ocean Avenue's third act, on pretty much any other game I'm near 100% sure I could get full whammy and not have to activate two notes later... What is up with this game and whammy. Or am I just this rusty on GHWT+ games?
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it wonky. also which guitar are you using ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
is it wonky. also which guitar are you using ?
GH3 360 Les Paul.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried another one ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some testing a week ago or so and tried a few whammy styles on BH (PS3) using a GH5tar.

I considered a few different factors:

Note hit timing
If you hit the note earlier in GH1/2 for example, you can get more whammy out of the sustain. I also tested hitting the note later than the centre of the hitbox.

Whammy bar press
When is the first whammy press recognised by the game? As far as I can tell, it should be normal - if the whammy is already depressed when you hit the note, it needs to be completely neutralled and then repressed before you gain SP. The first depression after the note hit is the first to give SP?

End of note
Not a lot to say. I tested to see if I was somehow ending my sustains earlier than the end, or not whammying each note to completion. This doesn't seem to be the case at all.

---

Basically, my findings seem to be that no matter which combination of methods I use (EW + Instant whammy bar after hit, for example), I will always fall significantly short of the whammy required for nearly every path in the game. Normally I am capable of getting most 60%+ squeezes first try, and have an upper squeeze ceiling closer to UB, (including in GHWT+ games), but with this game I'm missing a full beat (or more) on nearly every activation. I've been editing basically every path in order to minimise losses due to less whammy.

At some stage in the next week or so, I'll try to move my PS3 to my other TV (The one I use PS2 on and have hit UB+ squeezes on this year) and see if the HDTV is causing issues, however I feel like there is some lag between when I depress my whammy bar and when the game actually recognises it.

I doubt this is an issue for everyone, as I've seen comments on the board of people scoring like 2K points above me and saying stuff like "first try".
PinkiePie91  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cabanon, sadly don't have another fully functional 360 guitar. I'll see if I can get any good deals on eBay after the holiday season, one can wish.

@Mercurial, I want to say I remember someone saying EW works on some post WT games, though I can't fully remember (Van Halen?) Even (attempting) EW on the three songs I reduxed yesterday... still way off what I can usually get on every other game. So I don't think EW is something in this game.

Whammy Bar Press did some testing with this last night, and it seemed to "eat" the first bit of the sustain, though that could just be a bit of rust.

End of Note; Doubt it's the case either.

Seems we are having nearly the exact same issue. Missing nearly a full beat of whammy. Hell, I went for ABC redux for nearly 2 hours. I never hit the second act fully unless I waited for 1/2-3/4th of a beat after the note I should have been activating on.

What I find odd is I'm using a CRT and not an HDTV. Which... I dunno, I now remember why I never reduxed this game. Though I would be interested in if switching to the TV you use for your PS2 fixes the issue or not.
Mercurial  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll test my PS3 LP guitar as well early next week.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps3 LP is the worst. you'll loose more whammy than any other guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought (which I haven't yet tested and likely won't until tuesday) that the lag calibration might be playing a role here. It makes sense mathematically.

I'll try adjusting my video lag compensation value and see if that changes anything. It would also make sense as to why my GH1 squeezing is so much easier - no lag calibration so no lost whammy :P
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is always 0/0 on my setup and across all guitars, it changes drastically. so it's certainly not the calibration here, but how quickly the guitar react to the dongle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: